Beagle - Rescue

datrupr

Expedition Leader
He looks sweet. We can't have a dog at the moment. If we could I would give him a good home.

brittan

Adventurer
If you take this dog you need to know what you are getting into...I love my Beagle and my wife has worked with a local rescue. We've fostered half a dozen Beagles so I can render an opinion on this one...

First...he needs to get fixed. The PO may have wanted to breed him but he'll mark all over the house and may not be good with other dogs until he gets fixed.

Beagles are food motivated...that can be good and bad. Good in that you can easily train him but bad in that he will counter serf looking for food. Last month my wife's friend came to stay for a few days. My dog lifted a pound of red vines from her suitcase and ate it in the yard. Stealthy little son of a *****.

Beagles can be loud. More than once I'v had to go out at 11PM and quiet a BBBAAARROOOOO in the back yard.

Beagles are stubborn. Again this is charming and frustrating. If they get on a smell and want to follow it you are along for the ride. Hope you have a lease on him.

All that said...I love the breed and will likely have one the rest of my life. I think they are a great size and have short hair...both requirements for me.

I have two boys and so far no issues...my six month old can pull on his ears and get all over him before he growls. My oldest has hit him before with out a reaction.

If you can put up with thousands of years of breeding to be a smell hound and make the investment in him he'll be a great dog.

wesel123

Explorer
If you take this dog you need to know what you are getting into...I love my Beagle and my wife has worked with a local rescue. We've fostered half a dozen Beagles so I can render an opinion on this one...

First...he needs to get fixed. The PO may have wanted to breed him but he'll mark all over the house and may not be good with other dogs until he gets fixed.

Beagles are food motivated...that can be good and bad. Good in that you can easily train him but bad in that he will counter serf looking for food. Last month my wife's friend came to stay for a few days. My dog lifted a pound of red vines from her suitcase and ate it in the yard. Stealthy little son of a *****.

Beagles can be loud. More than once I've had to go out at 11PM and quiet a BBBAAARROOOOO in the back yard.

Beagles are stubborn. Again this is charming and frustrating. If they get on a smell and want to follow it you are along for the ride. Hope you have a lease on him.

All that said...I love the breed and will likely have one the rest of my life. I think they are a great size and have short hair...both requirements for me.

I have two boys and so far no issues...my six month old can pull on his ears and get all over him before he growls. My oldest has hit him before with out a reaction.

If you can put up with thousands of years of breeding to be a smell hound and make the investment in him he'll be a great dog.

That's not all true. If I were to keep this one it would be my 5th Beagle. 2 of them were never nuisance barkers, or howlers. The other 2 were so-so. The nose thing is true but with proper training they are VERY obedient and extremely loyal.

Your spot on about how they are with little ones. My little sister used to dress mine up and have tea parties......and one of them was a boy....poor guy.

The fixing thing I agree with but this pup still squats. I have yet to see him raise his leg, even on a long walk thru some hiking trails.

wesel123

Explorer
SUCCESS!!!!!!!! The pup has a new home!!!! Thanks Bruce for coming to the rescue. I'm sure your boys will have a blast with him. And thanks for everyone's help, thoughts and ideas.

luk4mud

Explorer
Ian, nice to meet you and Jackie last night. The still as yet un-named doggie howled for 20 minutes on the way home last night, then settled down. He and our lab hit it off right away. He has taken to the boys real fast too.

Ok, now we need Expo members' help. He needs a name. We're thinking something "Southern" since he's a hound dog. Ideas?

wesel123

Explorer
Someone at our office couldn't pronounce Beagle so she would say Bagel. Kinda funny because my two previous Beagle boys were named Bagel. So for the past few day that we had him we called him Bagel the Beagle.. a few others came up to day, Rusty, Red, Billy.....I soooooo glad he's got a good home!!!!!!

brentbba

Explorer
Nice job to both of you. One for bringing the dog in and one for adopting!!! :wings:

Great read with a happy ending!!!!!

luk4mud

Explorer
Leading potential names so far are: Conway, Leroy, Rufus (all from my human family tree), Bono, Archie. Other ideas?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad