Beefing up the tent trailer

zjrog

Observer
Shot myself in the foot and canceled the Yellowstone trip at the last minute, mostly due to bad weather predicted for the week we were planning on going. I had stayed up late nights and sacrificed my sanity to hustle it out at the last minute only to realize that it wasn't quite done and the weather would just be too cold for an unfinished rig (my girlfriend has Raynauds which makes her lose the color in her fingers in colder weather due to poor circulation). So, long story short, we went South instead.

My wife has Raynaud's as well. Plus a few other issues that tag along for fun. She WANTS to go when the weather is bad, but I know camping would be bad then. But we got out this past weekend. Just another thing to work around.

NICE work with the trailer.

Trail100

Observer
What size are those wheels on the trailer?

They are 15X7 or 8. They are just a pair of Toyota spare rims, one from my truck and one from a 4Runner at the wrecking yard. The tires are 32X11.50X15.

Here's a couple of pics from the weekend, not much changed, just fine tuning the bed supports and planning out the rear stabilizer setup - going to go with a set-up similar to the one AT sells but permanently mounted to the rear frame of the trailer. Kid showed up for the summer and relatives have been visiting...progress has been slow

100_2312s.jpg

100_2311s.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
That's really coming together..is it lighter or heavier than it's original configuration? Plan on painting the fiberglass top and the trailer body to match the truck?

Looks almost like there's enough room for a water tank behind the tongue box.

Lookin' really good.

I have a a new build going, and this time I'm using a "dropfoot" jack on each side in the end of the bumper. I also incorporated a reciever tube under the rear bumper...thought it would be nice to carry bikes, but also planning on building a small, simple metal stair for getting in and out of the rear of the camper.

Last edited:

Trail100

Observer
That's really coming together..is it lighter or heavier than it's original configuration? Plan on painting the fiberglass top and the trailer body to match the truck?

Looks almost like there's enough room for a water tank behind the tongue box.

Lookin' really good.

I have a a new build going, and this time I'm using a "dropfoot" jack on each side in the end of the bumper. I also incorporated a reciever tube under the rear bumper...thought it would be nice to carry bikes, but also planning on building a small, simple metal stair for getting in and out of the rear of the camper.

Definitely heavier, from the box down at least. The top is ABS and I plan on building an aluminum top this Winter if I can keep the weight down (might go with something like Nidacore instead). The paint color will stay the neutral grey (lighter shade top) because it is going to be pulled by one of three different color rigs. The space behind the tongue box was sized for two plastic cargo boxes, a propane tank and two scepter cans for grey water. The water tank will end up behind the axle to keep tongue weight down. I thought of the drop foot style jack but the design I'm building will stabilize out to the side more, since it is getting so tall. I already have a receiver tube welded in the center of the rear of the frame for the slide in step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1