Best Expedition Rig base?

What is the best expedition rig base, and why?

Would you rather have a Unimog, Mercedes everything else, Fuso, International, or something else, and why?

Can pre DEF International rigs travel outside of North America and still remain as serviceable as other foreign rigs?

Trying to figure out the best rig base for a 16 foot cabin that can travel the Americas, and then over to Africa, and up to Europe, and then over to Aisa.

Is it a good idea to get a US trucker's license (and then what class weight), and will the EU accept the US truck license to drive a rig through the EU?

Inquiring minds want to know.

kcshoots

I researched and drove all of the vehicles you mentioned and more in my search for the best expedition rig for me, also with a 16 foot camper. Here is a video I did detailing my journey and selection process. I also put together a spreadsheet with about 200 fields collected on several chassis to help me objectively narrow down to what I felt was best. This should shed some light on more info, options and things to consider.

I looked at the different channels and nothing came up that seemed to fit this discussion concerning rigs, and since everyone who is watching for rigs to come up for sale and then have long conversations about them, I thought this would be the best location for the question, especially where the sale is for member rigs.

ReluctantTraveler

I looked at the different channels and nothing came up that seemed to fit this discussion concerning rigs, and since everyone who is watching for rigs to come up for sale and then have long conversations about them, I thought this would be the best location for the question, especially where the sale is for member rigs.

I'd say Expedition Rigs (other) is probably the right place: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/expedition-vehicles-other.25/

This channels is specifically for members to sell rigs. Hopefully an Admin can move it over for you.

Yes you legally need a CDL outside North American. **
MB is the most ubiquitous truck make in the most countries.
But having a late model (<25yo) is incompatible with registration in certain states, unless certain magical things (which are possible but unprintable) are done. And then to make it a proper 3rd World (“global South”) truck you’ll need to delete emissions - EGR, DEF, catalysts of all sorts.
So it’s an unobtainium situation.
I have not seen a single International in elapsed 7 weeks so far in SACU this year.
25+ yo trucks can be a vale of trouble. My vehicle is now 18yo but at least I’ve owned it the whole time so I know the history etc. And have a shocking array of parts and tools. In the vehicle at all times.
** for the first time EVER a (Namibia) cop asked for my drivers license last week at a static post. In Australia, EU and even Russia for God’s sake all they’ve ever looked at is passport, registration and TIP.
I immediately pointed out to the cop that I have a HGV (heavy goods vehicle) license.

I'd say Expedition Rigs (other) is probably the right place: https://forum.expeditionportal.
Yes you legally need a CDL outside North American. **
MB is the most ubiquitous truck make in the most countries.
But having a late model (<25yo) is incompatible with registration in certain states, unless certain magical things (which are possible but unprintable) are done. And then to make it a proper 3rd World (“global South”) truck you’ll need to delete emissions - EGR, DEF, catalysts of all sorts.
So it’s an unobtainium situation.
I have not seen a single International in elapsed 7 weeks so far in SACU this year.
25+ yo trucks can be a vale of trouble. My vehicle is now 18yo but at least I’ve owned it the whole time so I know the history etc. And have a shocking array of parts and tools. In the vehicle at all times.
** for the first time EVER a (Namibia) cop asked for my drivers license last week at a static post. In Australia, EU and even Russia for God’s sake all they’ve ever looked at is passport, registration and TIP.
I immediately pointed out to the cop that I have a HGV (heavy goods vehicle) license.
So it is good to get a trucker's license. What level A, B, or C (at least in California)? Do you really take off all the emissions when you enter Mexico, Central, or South America? I am not a mechanic - so is it a pipe dream to take this rig down south and rely on the kindness of strangers?
/forums/expedition-vehicles-other.25/

This channels is specifically for members to sell rigs. Hopefully an Admin can move it over for you.
Agreed. I reposted there, but appreciate the responses here. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal