Best Expedition Rig?

What is the best expedition rig base, and why?

Would you rather have a Unimog, Mercedes everything else, Fuso, International, or something else, and why?

Can pre DEF International rigs travel outside of North America and still remain as serviceable as other foreign rigs?

Trying to figure out the best rig base for a 16 foot cabin that can travel the Americas, and then over to Africa, and up to Europe, and then over to Aisa.

Is it a good idea to get a US trucker's license (and then what class weight), and will the EU accept the US truck license to drive a rig through the EU?

Inquiring minds want to know.

sg1

Adventurer
For a 16 foot cabin you need a commercial truck. Do you really want something that big? Why do you need something that big? Some roads in Latin America and especially cities are narrow. A rig that big definitely is difficult in Europe. The US commercial trucks this size are unknown overseas. Unimog is not made for long distance driving. If you really need a big truck take anything available internationally. They are all good and reliable otherwise they wouldn't survive in the tough professional trucker market. Pre DEF has its advantages in South America.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, the OP joined 12/12/12, so he's no newbie but it's the same question asked by newbies, "which one is best".

Answer; There is no "best" vehicle for everyone, for everywhere.

But, my suggestion;

037-Outside-Van-Approach-2023-Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter-170.jpg

Unimogs are geared low for agricultural or other worksite use - not designed with highway driving in mind.
Sounds, then like MAN and Mercedes Trucks with 4x4 capabilities. Not necessarily the Unimogs which are for slower speeds and not on pavement for half the time or over millions of miles. Which MAN/Mercedes trucks do you think are the best?

MOAK

Adventurer
We are currently specing out a full time rig and one priority is- will it fit, in a standard shipping container? Shipping it overseas is a dream for us, but if we never do that, when we sell it, it would be an attractive sales point for someone in the future. You’re talking 16 ft camper? That’s huge.

What is the best expedition rig base, and why?

Would you rather have a Unimog, Mercedes everything else, Fuso, International, or something else, and why?

Can pre DEF International rigs travel outside of North America and still remain as serviceable as other foreign rigs?

Trying to figure out the best rig base for a 16 foot cabin that can travel the Americas, and then over to Africa, and up to Europe, and then over to Aisa.

Is it a good idea to get a US trucker's license (and then what class weight), and will the EU accept the US truck license to drive a rig through the EU?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Does it need to be registerable in a US state?
How old are you?
And what’s your budget?
And re Unimogs: it’s true that they absolutely cannot and should not be driven at 70-85mph on interstate highways. Which are pretty unique to USA. But the main issue with driving them long distance is the portal hub gearboxes. They cannot survive without oil. Some (not all) older Mogs are prone to oil migration from portals to diffs. Frequent checking OR a temperature monitoring system (very nice) is essential for long distance driving.
Mine is capable of 68mph. On fast roads I drive 57-60.
And get a CDL for anything bigger than a Landcruiser.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
Well, the OP joined 12/12/12, so he's no newbie but it's the same question asked by newbies, "which one is best".

Answer; There is no "best" vehicle for everyone, for everywhere.

But, my suggestion;

037-Outside-Van-Approach-2023-Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter-170.jpg
This is pretty high up on my list. I've been casually shopping for a used one that is empty to build out myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal