Best overall tire suited for Overlanding/Expo?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm going to go out on a limb here.....If the clay/silty sticky stuff in Illinois is like the clay/silty sticky stuff of southern Indiana, you should really avoid the BFG AT and look for either the more aggressive ATs (Duratrac, STMaxx, etc) or jump right to a decent mud tire.....that clay makes less aggressive tires into racing slicks......

Anything that'll stick to your boots will make the Duratrac as useless as the BFG ATKO. So I just get out the tire chains at that point.

Anything that'll stick to your boots will make the Duratrac as useless as the BFG ATKO. So I just get out the tire chains at that point.

At that point, the key is to spin the tires fast enough to clear the voids. I'd also say that any tire would clog up in that instance.
Even the venerable Simex Jungle Trekker tires become racing slicks in the boot stickin' gunk.
894816285_8o3hu-L.jpg

The key to discussion is to think of a tire that is remarkably balanced across the board regarding traction in various terrains and scenarios. Obviously the Interco Bogger will suck on ice, but is arguably one of the best mud tires on the market. Even then, its only good for straight line traction as I hear they do not have adequate traction for side hill slants. Furthermore, a dedicated winter tire would not be the most beneficial tire to run in mud, either. Opposite ends of the spectrum, you see?

So, what is a good tire that handles most environments and terrains about as equal as physics allow? From my experiences, I'll throw another vote at the Duratracs. They're have been my favorite tire thus far as they've been compliant with every thing I've thrown at them. However, If I were to do a trip to say... Guatemala with the intent of doing some 'jungle bashing' I would choose a more aggressive mud terrain tire in a tall and skinny size. Its a tool for the job.

dibsen

Adventurer
285/75/16 duratrecks on a 3rd gen 4runner and a 2000 land cruiser. It's a great all around tire which I think makes it a good expo tire. +1 for chains that were commented on earlier. I have a friend with Michelin M&S at2 more highway oriented and with that, last a life time, add some chains and they will get you through the muck.

Last edited:

Chuck59

Observer
Resurecting an old thread here...

As I have read all the posts in this thread, I come away with the overall impression that most folks like the tire they currently have. That makes sense as they made the tire decision before laying out their hard earned money.

I also coming away with a group consensus that the tire industry is doing a good job of producing a product for our specific market.

Final note, why does every "Overlanding" thread degenerate into a mud bogging and rock crawling discussion. Overlanding in America is much more improved road surfaces with the occasional rugged terrain than the opposite.

Erik N

Adventurer
Final note, why does every "Overlanding" thread degenerate into a mud bogging and rock crawling discussion. Overlanding in America is much more improved road surfaces with the occasional rugged terrain than the opposite.

Because there are a lot of swinging d*cks here.

My 2 cents is to buy the most durable tire you can, that has a reasonable replacement network.

Jaynen

Adventurer
Just put 235/85/16 Duratracs on my rig and they seemed kind of loud, but once I put air in them to what I wanted and not what the sticker said (shop only put in like 30 psi) I bumped them up to 45 and they are much better on the highway now (also a large difference in fuel economy)

LR Max

Local Oaf

Perspective.

When people ask me about the best tire, I think about where I off road. Which is the southeast. We have mud here. Unless you stick strictly to groomed fire roads (there are plenty around here) then you need them. No question about it. Now if you are sticking to the groomed fire roads, heck you don't even need to modify your truck. But 4WD low would be extremely helpful.

If you watch the weather (this past year, it was unavoidable, it rained every week), you can get away with an AT or a Duratrac but you gotta be careful. If you wheel anywhere in the swampy areas (closer to the coast and a significant portion of Florida) an AT is pretty useless. Having seen trucks slip and slide all over the places and simply cause more issues, that is a problem.

Also for the southeast, you really gotta go to parks to actually "wheel". Sure there are a few roads around you can hit up but the parks offer a one stop shop. Once again, only MTs is what people bring. You need traction in these places. Also the shade from trees keeps trails sheltered and they don't dry out. I've seen trails that haven't seen rain in 4 days be all kinds of misery once they get in the tree line.

Outside of the southeast, my statements are invalid. I've heard that the tires that I recommend for the southeast are crap in the snow (as I've been told by my upstate NY friends). Inversely, the tires that are crap here are are epic up there. Just an example of regional tire knowledge.

What do you need out west? No clue. Never wheeled out there. However I'd like to one day.

Always think regionally when making these statements. Just because it is good here, doesn't mean its any account elsewhere.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Perspective.

When people ask me about the best tire, I think about where I off road. Which is the southeast. We have mud here. Unless you stick strictly to groomed fire roads (there are plenty around here) then you need them. No question about it. Now if you are sticking to the groomed fire roads, heck you don't even need to modify your truck. But 4WD low would be extremely helpful.

If you watch the weather (this past year, it was unavoidable, it rained every week), you can get away with an AT or a Duratrac but you gotta be careful. If you wheel anywhere in the swampy areas (closer to the coast and a significant portion of Florida) an AT is pretty useless. Having seen trucks slip and slide all over the places and simply cause more issues, that is a problem.

Also for the southeast, you really gotta go to parks to actually "wheel". Sure there are a few roads around you can hit up but the parks offer a one stop shop. Once again, only MTs is what people bring. You need traction in these places. Also the shade from trees keeps trails sheltered and they don't dry out. I've seen trails that haven't seen rain in 4 days be all kinds of misery once they get in the tree line.

Outside of the southeast, my statements are invalid. I've heard that the tires that I recommend for the southeast are crap in the snow (as I've been told by my upstate NY friends). Inversely, the tires that are crap here are are epic up there. Just an example of regional tire knowledge.

What do you need out west? No clue. Never wheeled out there. However I'd like to one day.

Always think regionally when making these statements. Just because it is good here, doesn't mean its any account elsewhere.

Good answer.

An aggressive AT is working for me now that I wheel less.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Regional differences, terrain preferences, personal preferences all play a part. For me it is what my truck likes. I've tried a number of different brands and had wear issues with them all. Finally decided to save some money and go back to an old standard, BFG AT's and now my truck is happy. No wear issues rearing its head prematurely.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The sandy grit trails are easy. But wet grass in the East Coast has a super slick mud under it that is impossible to cross with AT's once you break through the grass. Even MT's have trouble. Street tires are worthless. And it snows.
-
Being stuck in a river, bottom of a boat ramp, or farm field just stinks. Even with decent recovery gear. I don't want to be there too often ever again. Nothing but MT's will go on my truck from now on.
-
I'd rather have premium tires and quicker wear. If a tire doesn't wear, it doesn't grip. A big truck like mine is worthless without decent tires. And Duratracs have very little downside. Not really noisey, and they get decent mileage. They do everything onroad as well as my Silent Armors did. Why run a AT street tire?

4x4junkie

Explorer
As I have read all the posts in this thread, I come away with the overall impression that most folks like the tire they currently have.

Wish I could say that. :(

I see the Goodyear MT/R-Kevlar mentioned a few times in this thread... I've gotten pretty sick of mine (35x12.50R15)... NOT because they are noisy, but because all 4 of them have become out of round and are rattling my teeth and everything else in the vehicle while on the road. Each tire also needed 8 or more ounces to balance too, which I thought was high for radial tires.
(they are not worn unevenly or showing any damage like separated belts, I checked for all this. The OOR is definitely in each tire's carcass).

OFFroad though, I have not one complaint about them. Excellent grip on rocks, decent in snow & mud, and floats on sand well after airing them down enough. Tread is holding up good also (minimal chunking).

Prior to the MTR I had BFG KM(1)s (same size). Much better on road (stayed round, took 3-4oz to balance), just as good offroad (maybe even a little better in sand), but rocks had their way with the tread (big-time chunking). Chunking seems to be fixed on the KM2.

Probably gonna ditch the MTRs for KM2s here pretty soon, or possibly Toyo MTs (if their wider width will fit my wheels anyway).

stioc

Expedition Leader
^x2 - in the end like many things it's all subjective. I've seen Duratracs mentioned several times and I too loved and defended them when I got them. They're aggressive ATs and do well in snow, mud and sand - they just don't like rocks. I traded them in for the good ole BFG AT after my sidewalls were getting slashed to heck playing in the rocks out here. Granted the slashes were shallow but disconcerting nonetheless when driving at the highway speeds. I was also one of the ones that thought BFG ATs were an antiquated design by todays standards and yet I ended up with them after tons of research. Thankfully I've come to love them; quiet, smooth, good enough in everything and tough as nails - it's the perfect overlanding tire for me.

Erik N

Adventurer
^x2 - in the end like many things it's all subjective. I've seen Duratracs mentioned several times and I too loved and defended them when I got them. They're aggressive ATs and do well in snow, mud and sand - they just don't like rocks. I traded them in for the good ole BFG AT after my sidewalls were getting slashed to heck playing in the rocks out here. Granted the slashes were shallow but disconcerting nonetheless when driving at the highway speeds. I was also one of the ones that thought BFG ATs were an antiquated design by todays standards and yet I ended up with them after tons of research. Thankfully I've come to love them; quiet, smooth, good enough in everything and tough as nails - it's the perfect overlanding tire for me.

Are those the E rated BFG AT's? Thanks

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yes, being 235/85/16 they're only available in E-load rating. They also have the snowflake symbol which I'm told is only available on the E rated BFG ATs (?). I was concerned about the harshness of the E tires on a light truck like mine especially when the BFG ATs are already said to have stiff sidewalls even in the C rating but with 36-37psi it's really not bad. In fact, I find the ride to not be as mushy as it was with the Duratracs. I sometimes even up the psi to 38-40psi depending on how loaded the truck is. The only thing I miss about the Duratracs is the aggressive look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online