Best road signs

96discoXD

Adventurer
This was years ago and I digital cameras weren't around so I don't have a picture, but my ex-wife's grandparents lived in a small town in SW Minnesota, and there was a sign at the end of a cul-de-sac that said "dead end", which ironically enough as (you may have already guessed) was right in front of the town cemetery.:Wow1:

pangaea

Adventurer
The infamous "topes" in Mexico. Yes, some of them are that big.

belize15.jpg

Not technically roadside, but I always like this one. I'm not sure how a fire extinguisher is supposed to help if you're being chased by a hippo.

056hippowarning.jpg

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Not technically roadside, but I always like this one. I'm not sure how a fire extinguisher is supposed to help if you're being chased by a hippo.

Even ignoring the hippo sign, I find it amusing that the sign indicating the location of the fire extinguisher is smaller, less noticeable, and partially obscured by the fire extinguisher itself.

SilverBullet

Explorer
no picture, but traveling down highway 38 from Big Bear to Redlands, approximately half way down the mountain road there is a sign that says "Hill"

As if you had not noticed.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
This was years ago and I digital cameras weren't around so I don't have a picture, but my ex-wife's grandparents lived in a small town in SW Minnesota, and there was a sign at the end of a cul-de-sac that said "dead end", which ironically enough as (you may have already guessed) was right in front of the town cemetery.:Wow1:

I've seen that! Isn't that in Luverne or Jasper?

DrMoab

Explorer
This sign is in a refinery I go to a lot for work. Judging from the way they do everything else it's a pretty appropriate sign.
4834893924_12a08720cb.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
This sign is in a refinery I go to a lot for work. Judging from the way they do everything else it's a pretty appropriate sign.
4834893924_12a08720cb.jpg

I always get a chuckle seeing those, and the ones that say:

"Slow Deaf Children Playing"

I mean C'mon, just becuase they can't hear, doesn't mean they're slow.....right?:elkgrin:

o0synge0o

Adventurer
Here's one that's been knocked over and real easy to miss near Rachel, Nevada... Note that there are no physical barriers to keep you from continuing down this road, only this damaged and easy to miss sign off to the side:
3154904051_12730db1df_o.jpg

marke

One from Malaysia

Here is a road sign from Penang, Malaysia. No question about its intentions. Yikes!

Attachments

• road sign.jpg
    road sign.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 30

FishPOET

Adventurer
The infamous "topes" in Mexico. Yes, some of them are that big.

belize15.jpg

Many years ago on our first trip down to East Cape we were towing a 26' cabin cruiser. South of Ensenada in the little town of Santo Tomas we saw a sign that simply said "TOPE". We did not know what it meant and we hit it at 40mph. The truck and trailer both got air and we ended up breaking the tongue on the trailer. Luckily we got the rigs stopped without incident and we had a welder and steel on board. 6 hours later we continued the trip.

Pathfinder

Adventurer
A few shots I have collected over the years

Some signs lead hard lives - this one is from Iowa

263937147_bbLLk-L.jpg

Shop keeper's sign from Pitkin Colorado

5644042_7qXNn-L.jpg

Sometimes the road department can't seem to make up their minds either.

158277882_Vcmnr-L.jpg

Saw this sign in Cardiff and never did understand what they were trying to say, and I still don't!

301402453_wuEpS-L-1.jpg

Wales, of course!
307477122_U5CzS-L.jpg

Good Hunting near here

695114401_c9XBe-L.jpg

A cowboy's road sign in Adrian Texas

482692892_avk6G-L.jpg

Near Hackberry Az

door-9083-L.jpg

Near Fort Leonard Wood

1104807790_XjmV3-L.jpg

Do shirts count?

25204189_gQVzE-L.jpg

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Another great topic!

Pictures of signs are among my favorite photos. Many of them "speak for themselves."

Here are a few, in no particular order:

In the gas fields of Wyoming, 2003:

PoisongaswarningnearLysite.jpg

Warning sign in the Bighorn Mountains, Wyoming:

BighornMountainwarningsign01.jpg

On the road from Kuwait City to Iraq, 2004:

Mutlaaranchsign01.jpg

Graffiti in Denver, 2009

0226091721a.jpg

South of Salt Lake City, heading towards Dugway Proving Grounds:

2009_0523_122040AA.jpg

Near the Alvord Desert in Oregon, 2009:

2009_0527_143750AA.jpg

Brcko, Bosnia, 1998:

BridgefromGunjatoBrcko1.jpg

Eastern Slavonia, Croatia, 1998:

CROMINE1.jpg

Not really a "road sign" (although it is next to the street) but still one of my favorites. Berlin, 1988:

wall04.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1