Best tire and rim size

xbox73

Adventurer
I burned through a set of Toyo M/Ts in less then 15,000 miles on this rig.

That's unusual, as many people report 50k miles out of a set of Toyo MTs, with many reporting 60k & even 75k & higher in some cases (probably a lighter vehicle like an XJ on an E rated tire). What size, width, ply rating & load rating were the specific Toyo MTs that you used? It makes a difference as some specific Toyo MTs are only C ply rating, whereas others like the 37X13.50R17 that I am interested in for my next tire are E rated with 4300lbs weight load rating per tire. Also, some of the lower rated, e.g. C load rated, tires are a lower durometer i.e. they are softer, so they wear faster.

What size & weight vehicle were the tires on? And were the tires worn evenly? If not evenly, how so? Alignment checked semi regularly?

Edit - apparently I suck at multitasking / reading comprehension:
Looks like vehicle was an F350 combo weighing up to 11k lbs, and Toyo MT in 285/75/16 (33X11.50R16 equivalent) & E rated with 3740 lbs load rating, so wild1 shouldn't have had an issue.

I ask these questions as your personal experience seems to be an outlier, and I intend to purchase the Toyo MT in the 37X13.50R17, E rated & 4300lbs load rating, as my next tire, so I am obviously interested in hearing about those whose experience hasn't been that positive, as it's a significant financial outlay.

Last edited:

wild1

Adventurer
Toyo M/T wear

I was surprised at how quickly the the tread wore on the Toyo's. They were some of the first one's to hit the market with the 3750 pound and e rating. I replaced them with a set of d rated BFG's and they went 35,000 miles . Both the Toyo's and the BFG's had about 20 percent wear left on them when I changed them out. My new set of BFG,s are the new E rated version with the higher load rating so I am interested to see if they last even better then the old D rated tires. They don't have anywhere near as much siping on the tread. The Toyo's were a much heavier tire and the carcass still looked like new even though the tread was gone. I put a lot of highway miles on my truck getting to the back country so the combination of heat from sustained highway speeds and the weight of the truck may have done them in.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
me too :D

what do you guys with E rated tires run for PSI when not at max GVW? How low for normal mixed driving?

Because the 285's have almost the same load rating as the factory 245's, I run the fronts at 55psi, which is what I run loaded as well. I could probably go a little lower, but with my front bumper/winch, I feel it is worth it. On the rear, I was running way too much until I weighed it and of course realized that I didn't need to have 60-65psi on an empty truck. I currently have the rears set at 50psi unloaded and could probably drop that another 5psi or so.

Great info from all...love the rig and pic wild, miss the white stuff. 17s have the most options and true they are the new 15, but the loads are just not there. Has anyone experienced a failure of a "new" E rated tire.

Depends on the size. Most of the 285/75r17's are a bit weird in that they are only rated in the 3100ish lb rating at 80psi. I was worried about it at first, but I realized that it matched the factory 245's in weight rating and the truck is rated at 9200 gvwr, so I have plenty in reserve at around 12,500lbs load for all four tires or over 6200 lbs on the rear axle alone. Since the rear AAM 11.5 axle is rated at 11k, I think between the rear axle and tires, I will be ok for most anything that will fit in/on/or around the truck.

Probably the heaviest I have had it loaded and did over 1000 miles of two lane highway in Nevada, plus some gravel road time as well.

Jack

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1