Bilstein 5100 vs OME

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Thinking about my 06 Tacoma. I've had OME full kits on every rig I have built. They are wonderful and I love them. However, this round, I am poor. Some might remember I had an 05 Access Cab Tacoma that was built up quite a bit. But, at the risk of pissing off my fellow Tacoma folk, the IFS is very limiting and sinking a ton of parts and money in shocks and springs ain't gonna get me much for articulation. There is a laundry list of things to replace along with shocks and springs to get better range.

BUT - that is not what I am after. I would like to fit 255/85/16's and have a bit more capacity for add on's such as Slee's sliders and an ARB bull bar and winch later. No rock crawling, but frequent trail runs and photo adventures are the norm.

OME is great, but spendy, and compared to the Crusiers I've built, it didn't help my Tacoma much as far as capability. BUT - I love OME stuff and the quality is unquestionable. IT is a fantastic option, albeit a lot more expensive than the Bilstein 5100 leveling kit.

It seems that the 5100 leveling kit can net 2.5" of lift in the front, same as the OME. It reuses the factor springs, but the shock is a major upgrade. And its a lot less expensive.

Anyone have first hand experience with the 5100 kits? Would you do it again? I'm already very familiar with the OME setup for the tacoma, but am anxious to read your thoughts on these options for my purposes.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I am using the bilsteins on my tundra. I have had them on for 2 1/2 years with out a problem. I would recommend them.

ebg18t

Adventurer
The OEM springs on the Bilstein 5100's will be just fine till you add the bumper/winch. At that point you will need to upgrade the OEM front springs to the OME or Eibach to get the front up to the task of supporting the weight of the bumper/winch. When the time comes find a set of used springs and just slip them on the existing 5100's.

pwr2lbs

Observer
I have had my OME's on my 03 Taco for a little over a month now. The only area I am not 100% satisfied with them is when I really load down the bed. I Hauled a full bed of fire wood last week and the ride quality was a bit dodgy. I somewhat expected that with a suspension designed more towards off road work, but was a bit surprised with how drastic the difference was. I may do an AAL to help compensate down the road, (esp once I get my RTT) but you may want to consider what primary duties your rig will be doing before selecting a setup.

Just my .2, other than that minor issue I LOVE my OME setup thus far. Don't have any seat time with the 5100's under me.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I don't have any personal experience, but I've never heard of anyone going from OME to billies, but I've heard a lot of the reverse. Neither is going to give you much articulation, but preloading a spring to get lift is always going to make the ride worse. Buy once cry once.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Bilsteins are subpar?

It would seem that you overlooked the premise of the thread. An OME full suspension kit will prove to be superior to Bilstein shocks using factory Springs. I was hoping to save money with the cheaper Bilstein option, but the old man emu suspension kit is the right answer for what I need to do. Perhaps overkill, but the right answer nonetheless.

tacollie

Glamper
I am little late to this. I have had two 2nd Tacomas with my current setup. One with full OME and one with 5100's/ Icon aal. OME netted more lift. I only adjusted the 5100's to a little over 1". The 5100's ride nice but the OME rode better. I am really surprised how well the aal holds the Flippac but I would like to have Dakars in the rear. Depending on how long the 5100s last will determine what I get next time.

RCsGX

It would seem that you overlooked the premise of the thread.

I didn't overlook anything, you said you were poor and wanted something inexpensive. I'm just curious how someone could say Bilsteins are subpar yet never ran them on their own rig?

An OME full suspension kit will prove to be superior to Bilstein shocks using factory Springs.

Again, how can you make that statement, you never ran 5100s before?

but the old man emu suspension kit is the right answer for what I need to do.

Then I guess you're good to go then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1