Body lift on Van

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
Has anyone done a body lift on a van? I have a 1997 Diesel Ext Van and was thinking of putting a body lift on it. I have done body lifts on many other types of vehicles just not a van. I know not the preferable way to get a lift. I was thinking about a 2" I know I will have to lower radiator and probably lengthen steering arm but not sure what else might need to be done. I have had to do some work on the engine and now have to do glow plugs it would be a lot easier with 2 more inches of clearance.

The low down on what I use the van for. Carting family around camping and towing 10k lbs.

What are the thoughts? Tell me what you think the + & - are.

Thank You

Addrian

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I don't recommend them. Too much stress & twist on these vans and there's no "kit" for them so it has to be pieced together. The only exception in my opinion is for wheelchair equipped rigs.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I got the idea from seeing a couple wheel chair vans at the VA with 3" body lifts so you nailed that one. It looks like it makes servicing the engine real easy.
I figured I was going to piece together a kit from an excursion.
Thanks for info Chris it was just an idea.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
I have done body lifts on van's and have never had any problems. Areo mobility puts a two inch body lift on their handicap vans all the time,with no problems and with two inch the steering colum is fine.
It is a split decision as to who likes them and who doesnt. I have considered a three inch on mine as well because I have a Quigley conversion and I am as high as I can go suspension wise and I too would like more lift and the clearance in the engine compartment would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

DjDrewDigital

Observer
Call the guys at Deaver Suspension for a 2" lift. They'll set you up with custom springs and shocks. Then you take it to any alignment shop any have them installed and correct the alignment with a camber cam kit. They hooked me up with springs that were 2" taller, 15% softer, for 200 lb of extra weight.

Then trim the wheel well by folding the metal back and you'll be able to fit 33" tires. I went to a body shop and this old guy tapped on it with a hammer to work the sheet metal back. He folded it back about an inch:

IMG_1014.jpg

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
Thanks for the info guys. Only reason I was considering the body lift is I know I have to do glow plugs and after replacing the fuel filter this weekend I will end up doing one sooner or later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal