Boreas Campers EOS12

PhatPanda

This is still our leading contender, with some custom changes. Like others have said, inside storage is the one lacking feature, and no inside counter space. The table being fixed also is not very versatile, hogging that floor space. So we would want to convert the left bench looking towards the bed into a combo counter top/storage system, put a vertically mounted Lagun table in place of the floor mount. Then it would be perfect! There are just very few trailers out there that are true 4 season at this size/weight/height with interior bath/shower combo and a pop top that you can still collapse and sleep in. Akrto is close and still a possible option (with some mods to the ducting for better 4 season capability).

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

It's a tough decision between the Boreas and Arkto. Both quality builds. Pros and Cons of both trailers :

Arkto:
Pros-
more storage
20 + k less cost
Better pop up design canvas and wiring
More space
Lighter weight
Will fit in 8 foot garage

Cons
No black tank or internal wet bath
Timbren suspension (note for me this is a pro as Timbrens are all I need and 5k cheaper and much lighter then cruise master)

Boreas

Pros
Internal wet bath
Cruisemaster suspension
Better off road capability

Cons
Heavier
More money
Won't fit in 8 foot garage

Both the top true hybrids in my book!

rehammer81

This is still our leading contender, with some custom changes. Like others have said, inside storage is the one lacking feature, and no inside counter space. The table being fixed also is not very versatile, hogging that floor space. So we would want to convert the left bench looking towards the bed into a combo counter top/storage system, put a vertically mounted Lagun table in place of the floor mount. Then it would be perfect! There are just very few trailers out there that are true 4 season at this size/weight/height with interior bath/shower combo and a pop top that you can still collapse and sleep in. Akrto is close and still a possible option (with some mods to the ducting for better 4 season capability).
I'm working towards all the mods you mentioned. Working up designs now. Also looking at adding cargo netting or pouches along the passenger wall above the bench for small item storage. I'm also strongly considering removing the small section of bench seat on the passenger side and replacing it with a section of drawers or cabinet. The longer section of bench on the passenger side is big enough for two to sit on when needed. I can pretty much guarantee that if we are shut inside out trailer for some reason then at least one of us will be in the bed. :)

For the counter/sink on the driver's side, it should be pretty easy. The plumbing to the shower runs in that under seat storage area and will be easy to tap into. The more complicated question will be where to drain to. Getting to the shower gray tank might not be straight forward but I'm not sure yet.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

PhatPanda

'm working towards all the mods you mentioned. Working up designs now. Also looking at adding cargo netting or pouches along the passenger wall above the bench for small item storage. I'm also strongly considering removing the small section of bench seat on the passenger side and replacing it with a section of drawers or cabinet. The longer section of bench on the passenger side is big enough for two to sit on when needed. I can pretty much guarantee that if we are shut inside out trailer for some reason then at least one of us will be in the bed. :)

For the counter/sink on the driver's side, it should be pretty easy. The plumbing to the shower runs in that under seat storage area and will be easy to tap into. The more complicated question will be where to drain to. Getting to the shower gray tank might not be straight forward but I'm not sure yet.

Actually we wouldn't really need sink ourselves, but room to put a single burner stove up for really bad weather, and a tiny bit of room for chopping, and room for our morning expresso machine lol!

My TM does have a sink and a dometic two burner cooktop inside. It does not take up to much space. I have a full outdoor set up so 98% of cooking will be happening out doors especially in Bear country. Can't tell you how nice it is for an old man like myself to wake up and fire up cook stove with percolator for morning jo without stepping outside. Same goes for toilet use. Having sink to wash hands is also convenient. That's it for cooking inside for us.

rehammer81

Yep, the sink will be small with a cover to create counter top space. The sink is really just for the convenience of washing hands, brushing teeth, etc without going back outside and pulling out the whole kitchen slide when you are already comfortable inside.

Yep, the sink will be small with a cover to create counter top space. The sink is really just for the convenience of washing hands, brushing teeth, etc without going back outside and pulling out the whole kitchen slide when you are already comfortable inside.

Righto. I would never use inside sink for any food, coffee or anything other then enviro friendly soaps and water.

DFNDER

We already have an electric hotpot for inside and may get a portable induction burner for occasional use. We use the second bed setup for our daughter so we don’t want to loose the table but I’m going to mount a marine seat slide on it to move it five inches over to allow easier passage. Don’t plan on an internal sink since the shower is always there, but definitely adding soft storage. The three of used the seating a lot during four days of rain so I’m definitely keeping the seating as is. If you don’t need the second bed, that opens all kinds of mod possibilities to improve space or build an internal kitchen.

I just don’t see a comparison with the arkto though. You either need an internal bath or you don’t. The arkto is almost as big but no internal bath and not as usable with the top down. To me, if I’m going to tow something this big, it doesn’t make sense to not have a bath. I think it’s just a design miss to make a trailer as big as the arkto without a bath. The Approach is probably the most comparable, or the wombat.

We already have an electric hotpot for inside and may get a portable induction burner for occasional use. We use the second bed setup for our daughter so we don’t want to loose the table but I’m going to mount a marine seat slide on it to move it five inches over to allow easier passage. Don’t plan on an internal sink since the shower is always there, but definitely adding soft storage. The three of used the seating a lot during four days of rain so I’m definitely keeping the seating as is. If you don’t need the second bed, that opens all kinds of mod possibilities to improve space or build an internal kitchen.

I just don’t see a comparison with the arkto though. You either need an internal bath or you don’t. The arkto is almost as big but no internal bath and not as usable with the top down. To me, if I’m going to tow something this big, it doesn’t make sense to not have a bath. I think it’s just a design miss to make a trailer as big as the arkto without a bath. The Approach is probably the most comparable, or the wombat.

Or the Trail Marker 😉

I see your point for sure. For my family we needed a internal wet bath.

I think Arkto and Boreas will always be compared due to pop up hybrid reasons.

Boreas had a small design miss. Missing fitting in an 8 foot garage by 2". I tried to push them to be under 96" but no one listed to me 😉

rehammer81

Or the Trail Marker

Boreas had a small design miss. Missing fitting in an 8 foot garage by 2". I tried to push them to be under 96" but no one listed to me
With the AC option they are at like 106" so there was no chance they were getting under 96" and maintain the off-road clearance. I guess they could have reduced the height of the hard walls but that would have made the closed usability less and meant taller soft walls. All abou trade offs.

With the AC option they are at like 106" so there was no chance they were getting under 96" and maintain the off-road clearance. I guess they could have reduced the height of the hard walls but that would have made the closed usability less and meant taller soft walls. All abou trade offs.

Spot on Ryan. Without AC and with the CM air suspension they are so close

DFNDER

Or the Trail Marker 😉

Boreas had a small design miss. Missing fitting in an 8 foot garage by 2". I tried to push them to be under 96" but no one listed to me 😉
Yeah, a few inches shorter would have been nice, but I wouldn’t have wanted them to sacrifice usability when the top is down. Would have also required a shorter entry door, windows, etc. Once you go with off road suspension and clearance like this has, I can imagine it’s really hard to keep the height down. Fortunately I’m building a barn anyway and will have plenty of clearance in VT.

rehammer81

Actually made the EOS work this past week in the San Juan Mountains north of Durango. Made a poor choice in continuing down a road that got too narrow to turn around and relatively rocky with some decent mud holes. We got lucky though and about 2 slow miles in was a suitable turnaround but also a nice little camping spot right next to it. The rough road worked in our favor also keeping the traffic to a minimum in a fairly busy area.
378e8b5538ecde56fc73daf40a32cf9d.jpg
db314e91fe1f5bb75545a60def133ffc.jpg
d010957d75246f2b488a3557cfa953a2.jpg
20c323377530f5bf47f529621cdc13d3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp