Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

rocrunr

Adventurer
Nice, I bought some of those switches a while back and planned to do the same thing. Do the switches fit once the coin inserts are popped out or did you have to do some fitting?

Box Rocket

Nice, I bought some of those switches a while back and planned to do the same thing. Do the switches fit once the coin inserts are popped out or did you have to do some fitting?

they required a bit of "fitment". There is a ridge inside the edge of the console that needs to be trimmed back a bit. Doesn't ruin it which is nice and the coin slots could be put back without any sign of them being changed.

RJ40

Adventurer
If you wouldn't mind, who did you get the Come Up winches from? Also, are you now a re-seller for the Stealth wheels? What back spacing did you get for your Cruiser?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Box Rocket

There are a number of excellent vendors to get the winches from. Cruiser Outftitters, Expedition One, Trail Tailer, Slee Offroad are all ComeUp dealers that come to mind, or you can order direct. I am not a re-seller for the Stealth wheels. My SR8's are 16x8 with 4" BS.

RJ40

Adventurer
Thank you ! I am rebuilding the body of my 40 from the back of the doors rearward, so it will be dry docked for a while yet, but the Tacoma is lots of fun and I'm doing small add-ons to it to satisfy
my "accessorizing" urges. The taco could sure use a winch...it seems to get stuck more than the 40 did:safari-rig: (Must be the driver!)

Cheers!

Box Rocket

update.... installed my new LED lightbar on my Prinsu Rack., added a Blue Sea fuse panel and cleaned up some accessory wiring. The truck is getting all new exhaust today (turning the cats, new magnaflow, and tucking everything up), have a blown rear axle seal that needs to be replaced. Also looks like I have a rear caliper that is seized and will need to be replaced. Good times.
42" LED lightbar on the roofrack. It's a spot/flood combo and between it and the 3 HIDs on the bumper, the front light output is very nice.

On a lighter note I did get out for some fun in the snow on New Years Day near the family cabin. MTR's did great in the snow which was nice since my snow chains are a little short to fit the 35's.

My BIL's LX470 did great in the snow too. He is unlocked but had chains in the rear and was unstoppable.

https://youtu.be/NOV3c0lleUY

Box Rocket

Do you feel sluggish with the 35's?
I suppose compared to stock it feels a bit sluggish, but I've been driving a stock geared 80 on 35's for 15 years and it has never bothered me enough to change it. It's part of the reason my new gears are still on the shelf. If it was unbearable with the stock gears I'd be more motivated to get them installed. But I don't feel like it's that bad.

Box Rocket

I replaced my exhaust yesterday. I had a leak at the Y-pipe and at the flanges for the cats. There were several broken hangers and both stock cats were bad and clogged up so it gave me plenty of reason to just redo the whole thing. I ended up using dual Magnaflow high-flow cats in the stock location but rotated and tucked up above the frame for better clearance. Also used a Magnaflow muffler and ditched the resonator at the tailpipe. All tubing is 2.5".
As for the routing it's more or less the same as stock but tucked up as best we could. This means it still passes under the frame behind the cats which isn't ideal but not something I'm worried about.
As for sound, it's louder than stock but not overly obnoxious. Definitely a more "throaty" tone through the entire range. It's very quiet at idle and while it's clearly audible at cruising speeds inside the truck it doesn't drone. Throttle response seems to be slightly better with my "seat-o-the-pants" analysis. Haven't had a chance to see if there is any mpg change yet.
Overall, pleased with the result and definitely a improvement of clearance at the cats which was my main complaint with the stock system.
Sorry for the crappy phone photos. Yes, I know I have a rear axle seal that's bad (fixing it tonight). Also you'll hear my starter clicking at the beginning of the video. It's also getting replaced (since I know someone will bring it up).
Magnaflow cats

Blurrly Magnaflow muffler

Much better clearance at the cats

Video for sound
https://youtu.be/wayuJlQYsxI

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Not too much to update except for some repairs. I was diving into a leaky rear axle seal a few weeks ago and it was just the tip of the iceberg. Turned out that the inner axle bearing was totally destroyed. It was clear that the rear axle had been opened before and serviced. By the time the repairs were done we suspected that the bearing had not even been installed at some point because with the exception of the outer race, there was NOTHING left of the bearing. I mean nothing. No metal bits in the axle tube or the diff, nothing. The bearing had been run dry and probably from a combination of heat and corrosion the outer race had welded itself to the axle housing. It sadly became clear that even if we could get the outer race out of the housing it would damage the bearing surface of the housing enough that a new bearing would never fit properly. The collateral damage was a badly damaged short side axle shaft as well as a damaged hub and destroyed ABS sensor. A simple axle seal service was getting expensive quickly.
The axle housing needed to be replaced along with the shaft, hub and ABS sensor. I won't even begin to share what new OEM parts would have cost. In the end I found a complete donor rear axle with an elocker and everything. The rear end was dropped from my truck and the donor was inspected. The short side shaft, hub, abs sensor and housing were all used from the donor. We installed all new bearings and seals and reused the long side shaft and the other undamaged parts from my axle. Fortunately there was no damage to my locking diff so that was able to be reused. That left me with some spare parts for the future. I have a long side axle shaft, a spare hub and a spare locking diff in good condition. I'm glad to have the diff since it's been discontinued by Toyota and used locking diffs are getting harder to find so it will be good to have one in case something ever goes wrong with the one in the truck.
On a lighter, and much cheaper note, the only other recent change was moving my CB radio. I have had it velcroed to the side of the center console but have never been happy with that location. The radio is a Uniden Pro 520xl and is a very close fit to the factory ashtray location. With a little bit of dremel work to the dash fascia the radio is a good fit and a much better location IMO. Now, I'm hoping for a mostly trouble free spring/summer where I can just enjoy the rig.

cmcmill01

update.... installed my new LED lightbar on my Prinsu Rack., added a Blue Sea fuse panel and cleaned up some accessory wiring. The truck is getting all new exhaust today (turning the cats, new magnaflow, and tucking everything up), have a blown rear axle seal that needs to be replaced. Also looks like I have a rear caliper that is seized and will need to be replaced. Good times.
42" LED lightbar on the roofrack. It's a spot/flood combo and between it and the 3 HIDs on the bumper, the front light output is very nice.

Was wondering how did you get the power to the LED light bar on the roof??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Was wondering how did you get the power to the LED light bar on the roof??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The light has about a 12" long pigtail. I ran wires through my bluesea fuse panel and along the firewall and they come out through the seam between the cowl and the fender behind the snorkel. Then ran the wires up the back of the snorkel to the roofrack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design