Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Very nice. I like the et-ups that go low profile for travel and raise for the annex. I appreciate standing room as I am 6'-1" so this is awesome.

BC999

My apologies if you stated it earlier in the blog.... but where did you get the "pop-in" pins?... and.. for putting it down in travel mode, do you pull the pins and rotate 90 and they lock in open position so you can get it moving down? Thx!

Box Rocket

My apologies if you stated it earlier in the blog.... but where did you get the "pop-in" pins?... and.. for putting it down in travel mode, do you pull the pins and rotate 90 and they lock in open position so you can get it moving down? Thx!

I got the pins from McMasterCarr. They are not the locking style pins so its a little tricky putting the rack down. With two people it's no big deal. If I'm by myself, I pull the pins on one side and use a ratchet strap to pull the rack down enough to keep the pins from locking and go to the other side and pull those pins and I can get it to come down.

pray4surf

Explorer
You cranked this lift mechanism out much faster than I :) Were you able to experiment with different strut 'strengths' before deciding on the 50-pounders?

Fitting out gas struts for my bedrack RTT lift mechanism, we started with 2 250-pounders - LOL... Went as low as 2 40-pounders before settling on 2 60-pounders. 'Course I had the luxury of visiting a gas strut warehouse/distributer locally.

I do like the look and the functionality of your design. Great job!

Box Rocket

No real trial and error time for me. The 50 pounders are a little strong. I plan on adding a bracket under the tent platform to slide a lifetime table into. That will add a bit more weight to help get the platform down a little easier. All-in-all for completely winging it, it has worked out pretty well.

Box Rocket

A few recent changes that I thought I'd share. In preparation for a couple long trips with the family this summer I added a few things to the trailer.

First was a camp table. I fabbed a simple "slide" bracket to the underside of the new tent rack. I'm using a 24x28" Lifetime table that slides in. I lose 2" of clearance under the tent rack but that is pretty minimal. I'm sorry I don't have a better photo than this one but you can see the table under the tent. The extra weight added from the slide and the table is not much but it does make lowering the tent rack a bit easier since the lift struts were on the heavy side.

Also, I had a pair of Hella 1000 Black Magic lights left over from when I replaced them on the front of the Tacoma with a set of Hella Optilux HIDs. I figured I could use a little additional camp lighting so I added some brackets to the rear swingout on the trailer and mounted the lights.

On the front of the trailer I had changed things a couple months ago by moving the water can mounts to the sides of the trailer and moving the tongue box back closer to the tub. When I did this I lost the space that I was using for my CO2. I wanted to get the CO2 mount back on the front and add an additional spot for a fuel can. Pretty simple solutions but the CO2 and fuel can do a nice job of countering the weight of the new spare tire carrier and giving the trailer a more balanced feel with proper tongue weight.

I'm still not using a lid on the trailer, but I've been carrying gear in a bunch of bins from Walmart. They are doing a decent job so far. The only problem I have right now with no lid is security. I'm happy with the way the gear packs etc and it stays pretty safe from the elements in the bins, but if I were to be in an area where security was a concern then a lid would be a big plus.

Here's a few photos from a trip we just returned from to the Black Hills. I was very pleased with the trailer with all the new changes, especially the tent and tent rack.

Glenn D

Observer
Just found this thread.. what a great build... I find this trailer to be perfect!... and I must say that some of the build photos now are copied into my trailer folder of ideas!..

And what a better place to live to go use it.. Utah has so many places to go and fun things to do.. I have kids that live in St George, and love to go camping with them when we can. I hope to get started in building a trailer this winter to pull with my Jeep and get to go out and play a lot more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1