Brandy's 2012 JKUR Build

James Pierce

Adventurer
285x75x17 BFG KM2's

Last week I fitted the 285x75x17 BFG KM2's with 1.25" spacers.

First impressions:

They are a little more noisy than the stock KM1's but less noisy than the 35" KM2's we had on the 08.

They rub a little at hard lock. Probably should have gone with the 1.5" spacers but I was trying to keep them under the fenders.

I did notice a little loss of power on the highway but nothing compared the the 08 which had 35's and 4.88's. I cannot say enough good things about the new engine and transmission. After installing the larger tires it did downshift twice pulling the same long hills that we pulled a few weeks ago with the stock tires. This was not a bad thing though. Unlike the 08 which would start wailing like a banshee and still struggle to hold its speed the 2012 would quietly down shift into 4th and the speedo wouldn't move.

At this point I don't see any reason to regear. It is still turning around 2600 rmp's at 75. Once I get all of the weight of the bumpers, winch and cage on I might reconsider but for now it still out performs the 08 hands down.

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

You'll notice I did added the factory steps. For me they seem to get in the way as I have to lean over them to put my butt in the seat. I can't imagine they would afford much real protection as they are plastic but they do help with rock chips on gravel roads. It was a last minute decision and will probably get changed / improved. We were taking Brandy's 83 year old grandmother over into Arkansas to see the fall foliage.

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Hey, James:
Just wondering why your Rubi has the side steps? My wife's came with sliders- and she wants the steps! I am trying to determine if I can adapt some 110 BritPart flip downs to fit the sliders that could be removed when off road.
Thoughts? (Mr. Fabricator Extraordinaire!!)
D

James Pierce

Adventurer
I added the steps last minute because we were taking Brandy's 83 year old grandmother to Arkansas to look at the fall foliage. They really get in the way if you ask me. The door opening isn't tall enough like a defender to be able to stand on the step and slide into the seat. Then again I'm 5'-12" tall. I will probably do something different that will add a little more protection. Are you talking about the steps like I have on my D90? Now I thought you bought your AEV JK to take off road? I knew you wouldn't be able to leave hers alone for long since yours was ready to go. :)

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I am talking about coming up with something like the ones on your 90 for both mine and hers. Her mother lives with us and in her 70's and getting in and out of hers (while her mother doesn't complain) can be a challenge, and for sure, she'd never make it in mine- But she also never rode in any of my other trucks. She actually still finds getting in and out of the Jeep easier than getting out of the LR3, because she rides mostly in the back seat, it was much narrower in and e-gress due to the narrower opening at the door well.
There is a slot in the lower rear of the sliders on both trucks, and I want to see if the generic brit part (like the Land Rover version you have) that have nothing but a plain rubber pad, are able to be modified to fit on those sliders, but be easily removed with a single set screw if they need to come off.
You look at yours and see what you think!
D

cbboard

looks great! we just ordered an all white JKUR for our next overland vehicle as well. we are actually moving back to OKC next summer. are you involved with the rover or jeep clubs there? maybe we will run into ya at some point.

James Pierce

Adventurer
cbboard,

Our local LR seen is dead. Even the dealership is pathetic. They have downsized it to make room for more Cadillac inventory. PM me when you get back to OKC and I'll give you the info on our local Jeep Face Book page. When we ordered our Jeep the dealership had 5 all white JKU's on the lot. I think its a popular color.

cbboard

sounds good. we are currently in the middle of a one year stint in nashville, which has been fun, but we are looking forward to moving back to OK. thanks!

James Pierce

Adventurer
Escape Gear Seat Covers

It may seam a little silly to opt for the leather seats only to turn around and cover them up with seat covers... Did I mention Brandy does pet therapy with Daisy our 60lb golden retriever two nights a week? We really needed something that would protect the seats from the hair, nails and drool of a dog her size. I wanted something that would be tough and look good too.

Melvill and Moon seat covers are rumored to be the best "a lot of money" can buy; only problem is actually getting your hands on them and to my limited knowledge they're still not making them for the JK. Not having any first hand experience with M&M I really don't see how the quality could be better than the Escape Gear covers. The stitching and attention to detail is excellent. Material quality and thickness is far better than other covers I've used on my work trucks. I have only one issue which I hope they will address. The shape of the new headrest is different from the old square boxy style. They still fit but not as well as the rest of the covers. We'll see what happens.

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

James Pierce

Adventurer
Update

The last few months have seen the addition of several new AEV products.

The first addition was the AEV front bumper and skid plate to follow after the winch is wired up.

The second addition was the Warn 9.5xp. I researched and purchased this winch just before the write up on OJ came out (http://www.expeditionportal.com/equ...-year-4wd-equipment-2011-overland-awards.html). The article basically confirmed everything I had learned on my own. While most have switched to rope I am still an old die hard quality wire guy (more on this later).

The third addition was the AEV spare tire carrier and Husky fiberglass handled shovel. I like it a lot. Zero rattles and the peace of mind that the weight has been removed from the back door.

And last but not least... what I waited 6 months for... The new AEV 2.5" Dual Sport XT lift and control arm brackets. As good as it gets. The triple rate-springs coupled with the Bilstein shocks makes for an impressive ride. Running the tall but skinny 285x75x17's I have no rubbing at all. Even at the pinch seam.

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

JPK

Explorer
Here's a possible answer to the steps issue. MBRP make tough rock rails that feature optional bolt on steps. Easy to remove from what I have read, but four bolts, and unlike integrated steps, these are low enough to actually step in and slide your but into the seat, at least according to what I have read. I almost got a set for my wife's JKUR, she's also ~5'2" and her Jeep has 2.5" of lift. Might yet.

Here's a link to the rock rails : http://offcamberfabrications.com/index.php?page=products&part=130714

Here's alink to the only photo I could find, it shows a 2 door, but the idea is the same (lower right photo, click on it:) http://offcamberfabrications.com/index.php?page=products&part=130880

James Pierce

Adventurer
Thx JPK. I like the idea of the removable step. I wonder if they would fill with dirt and mud being open on the back...

JPK

Explorer
I believe that the open back may allow dirt and mud to drop through rather than being "captured." Or, if mud did pack in, allow the mud to be knocked through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1