budget performance cars

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
budget car to me would be a CRX. but in a b16 motor from a early to mid 90's civic or a type R motor for $2500 and you got a power to weight ratio that would spank alot of cars.

Go for the gusto: K series engine. :)

I had a 1990 CRX. It was my first "good" car.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I almost built a Lotus Super 7 back a few years ago. I had to decide between going all-out with the Focus, or keep it my DD and build a Locost 7. Ultimately it came down to the difficulty in insuring a homebuilt.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I looked hard at a Locost as well. In the end I decided I wanted a real car and ended up buying the S2000 after looking at lots of stuff (re-engined RX-7s, BMW M3s, 3rd gen Camaros, other stuff I'm forgetting).

I gave up on the Locost after realizing it was way too convenient or possibly foreshadowing that the plan view of the chassis is the same shape as an old style coffin.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
oh yea, i could list engine's all day long for that car. even though im a rwd car guy. that would be my one and only car if i had fwd

You know, my 2008 Civic Si reminds me of the CRX I had a lot. The "subconscious/peripheral" view out the windshield is somewhat similar. Maybe it isn't quite as tossable but it spanks it for straight line and I think it (new Civic) is ultimately an easier car to drive fast.

My wife has joined me auto-crossing this year and she is driving the Si. She's actually beating me in points. There's something to be said about the way the points spread comparing an A class car against a D class car (we run modified SCCA classing up here) but I've been happily very surprised nonetheless. I think I've created a monster as well. :)

Ruffin' It

Explorer
Wow, small world. I grew up at Waterford Hills - almost literally. I grew up in Waterford, MI and started going to WH at 2 months old and spent a huge portion of my sumers there. I wonder if that is John Eiler in the Elise? I used to race with him in college. Thanks for the video. That brought back great memories!!!

Yup, exactly. And speaking of Ferrari's, I was at one trackday where rich guys brings out a Testarossa. It was nice to see but... he brought two Ferrari mechanics with him, just in case. Incredible. He ended up losing his alternator belt, and it took the two mechanics over two hours to change the damn thing.

Here's a vid of my car from Waterford MI with a Lotus Elise. Really fun track for a small car, but it's pretty unfriendly to mistakes. Ahh... you gotta love Youtube commenters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ0R1JgGKyA

And a highlight video I put together, but they muted the sound. :( I wonder, if I'd had the engine noises turned up if it would fool the sensor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsOpcbV5yY

Last edited:

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Wow, small world. I grew up at Waterford Hills - almost literally. I grew up in Waterford, MI and started going to WH at 2 months old and spent a huge portion of my sumers there. I wonder if that is John Eiler in the Elise? I used to race with him in college. Thanks for the video. That brought back great memories!!!

I used to race at the Quarter midget track there when I was younger!

James86004

Expedition Leader
My Dad bought a BMW Z3 about 5 years ago for $9,900. It is the version a step below the M version. It is an absolute blast to drive on the twisty back roads of Virginia, and it is a lot better looking than the Z4.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
it's really amazing what you can do with a 944 turbo for under 10k. Check out this kit for under 1700, that turns it into 300rwhp. Wow.

MotoDave

Explorer
Hey, they've got my car on the list:)

I currently drive a 2003 WRX Wagon. Slightly modified exhaust, went from 3 cats down to just 1 after the turbo, which decreased turbo lag significantly. that and some good quality Sway Bars have made it a lot more fun than stock, without sacrificing the rally car suspension compliance for rough back roads.

I'm a little bit sad I'll be selling it this winter, but stoked at the same time about finally getting a 4x4 truck. Their prices seem pretty stop on, as I'm planning to list it around $9k.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
it's really amazing what you can do with a 944 turbo for under 10k. Check out this kit for under 1700, that turns it into 300rwhp. Wow.

$5000 used. way oversized turbo, MAF, chip, cold air, konis, LSD... Runs out of steam somewhere north of 180mph, and gets there blisteringly fast...

IMG_2081.JPG

I like the cars in the under 5k list much better. I really dont see anyone buying a long body 7series as a performance car. But i guess you can use anything, i used to throw around my 95 seville but a 275hp v8 with fwd is not the best for handling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad