build it or sell it?

Flyboat

Observer
I struggle with this everyday because I am someone that just needs a goal that I can hang my hat on. I struggle with selling this 1/2 ton burb and finding a 3/4 ton. And I also think I should look for one in the 73-91 body style.

This 96 has a 5.7 vortec, 4l60e, NP241 (Push button but not auto trac) updated fuel injection, rear swing tire carrier, barn doors, SLT package. 3" body lift. 208K on the OD, original motor, tranny rebuilt at 90K with not so much as a hiccup since. Just did a full synthetic fluid change on everything, even brake fluid at 200K. I have the high lift jack mounted and killer sound system installed, although it could use some freshening up inside.

I have a family of 5, nine year old twins, wife, dog (german shorthair pointer). I'm using it now as a pseudo work truck to run a power washing business part time.

My dream list for this burb include a built 5.3L swap when this engine lets go. I am also watching CL for dana 44's or 60's that will swap under the front end with some fab work. This wil raise the truck considerably but add tons of options and durability as far as gearing, lockers, etc. If I can't find the right axle I can settle for something else, but then I would have swap transfer case as well. I have a winch in the shed and plans to build a bumper and rocker/sliders. I also plan to use monstaliner for the exterior in a similar scheme red/black.

So if I go old body style, I may still have to swap motors and axles. I just don't know what to nail down as a goal. Today I'm leaning towards keeping it and making it unique for my purposes. Tomorrow I may be saying "sell it".

What would you do?

The older body style has straight axles, but may still need to be upgraded.

Attachments

• subduded.jpg
    subduded.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 50

Vandy

Adventurer
Ehh. Keep her, build her. You already have her and know her issues (I'd imagine)

Part of my issue with starting a new project is no one is forthcoming about issues. No matter how small. Half the pain is fixing and figuring out all the odd ball things. It looks like a pretty clean rig.

Oh and do a 12 cummins swap lol

Flyboat

Observer
To explore the 12v cummins swap, I'm not against it. I'd consider it if I knew more about it. I bet I would have to do the SAS to support the weight of the motor. Remember its a half ton to start with.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm probably in the minority here but I never cared for the 73-91 body style. The 67-72 body style was my absolute favorite of all time, and the 3 door Suburban was my first "vehicle crush." Never got a 3 door 'Burb but from 1983 - 85 I had a sweet 71 Blazer (actually I'm kidding it was a POS but it looked cool. :sombrero: )
My vote would be to "hold what you got." Besides not liking the "Square" body style of the 73-91 they seem real prone to rust especially around the wheel wells, even here in dry Colorado.

Philp100

Observer
If you are really just looking to have a goal, start a list of places you want to go. Make getting out and exploring your goal. Make minor upgrades only as needed. That burb as it sits is a perfect vehicle for your family. That being said, I have always had a bad case of upgrade-itis! keep us updated here no matter what you do!

Sent by pure magic

Lykos

Super Trucker
I just bought a 96 and love it. I decided against the 3/4 tons because they're far more than I need for a DD/ camping rig. I don't tow anything and I know small block Chevy's like the back of my hand.

Honestly, I think the half ton has a better ride. And since 90%'of its life it's on pavement that's important.

The only thing I may change is to go to a six lug 14 bolt rear and a 9.5 front. Why? For the added strength and the availability of LSDs for the front.

Everyone loves the SAS Cummins conversion build threads. I love them too. But that's just way more than I need.

That's why I vote for you to keep it.

:)

Flyboat

Observer
I'm working on getting some pics for you. I'm not convinced I want to do the SAS, maybe I'll find a rear axle I can keep 6 lugs with and get a locker. The front axle has few upgrades available. The 9.5 Does not swap over to the 1/2 ton easily and the wouldn't be worth the trouble in my opinion. Might as well go all the way with it in my opinion.

Flyboat

Observer
The hinge is from Iron pigs off road. I don't even know if they are still in business. But I think this one has been hanging on 7 or 8 years. And it is actually welded and gusseted within the 3x5 top tubing. Because of the body lift the top 3x5 tubing actually sits on top of the frame rails. The recovery points are 3 pieces of 1/4" laminated together. The center 1/4" portion of the eye goes all the way through and forms the mounts. I really could cut some steel out of it and lighten it up.

Lykos

Super Trucker
I didn't know that about the front end...

There are some 14 bolt 30 spline (I think 30) semi float six lug rears with g80s from vans floating around, I.think.

Flyboat

Observer
Thanks, I'll do some checking around. Hey I do appreciate all the discussion.
And yes I do need a list of places to go. Eventually I want to load up go to matagorda bay.
There is not much back country to explore in texas, not much government land with vehicle access. I've been to big bend, but not with this vehicle. I'd love to go back, but things are not like they use to be down there around the border.

Bojak

Adventurer
Lol!!^^

I know I found a 3/4 for 6500 with only 53K original miles
Priority 1 should be getting out and having the adventures. That being said, if you can find a square in good shape then I recommend it. There is a small component of added enjoyment doing it in something you love. I go places with my buddies in new cummin's rams, and ecoboost fords, all with lifts and doodads. Talking really sharp, cool, desirable trucks. It always hurts there feelings when we come off the lake, restaurant, or trail and people come up and asking me about my truck or there is a note wanting to buy it.
Don't fall into the rut of not having the adventures due to constantly building an old truck. If have the means, knowledge, time, resources to not only have the fun but the old truck (suburban) too then I recommend it. This is just my opinion but I know I like my freinds stuff but love mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1