build it or sell it?

402xjeeper

Observer
Skip the 9.5" 14 bolt, it is still a c clip, there used to be an aluminum 6 lug hub for a 10.5 full float 14 bolt available, if not get the iron hub machined to 6 lug. Cunvert to discs. More strength and less cost. Do not upgrade the front is diff wit a traction aid, that will just break more parts. I managed a 4x4 shop and had first hand experience with these mods,but that was 10 years back. If you want a sas, get a square body, or Ford excursion. You will come out ahead and be able to get parts most anywhere.

poriggity

Explorer
Personally, I'd keep what you have and go out and explore. Build that one up as needed, and have fun with it.

Flyboat

Observer
402xjeeper can the Front 1/2 diff (8.5 I think) be regeared to say 4.10? It's currently 3.73. The trans seems to hunt a little on hills on the highway and bucking a headwind.

Actually my next mod is to add and auxiliary fan to the ac condenser to help the ac work better in stop and go traffic. Found the one that is an original option on these truck.

Lykos

Super Trucker
402xjeeper can the Front 1/2 diff (8.5 I think) be regeared to say 4.10? It's currently 3.73. The trans seems to hunt a little on hills on the highway and bucking a headwind.

Actually my next mod is to add and auxiliary fan to the ac condenser to help the ac work better in stop and go traffic. Found the one that is an original option on these truck.

Details on this fan please?

My ac cooks me at idle.

Flyboat

Observer
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-86...automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

AC delco part # 15-8686 I'll have to flip it to the drivers side, and drill but it should work. I have a factory tranny cooler on the passenger side where this mounts up. I have no idea if it will fix my issues. The shop says the ac is charged and doing fine but it does cool enough for me. I also plan to drop the dash and check out the distribution box. I'm sure the seals and such have rotted away because I get cold air out of the defroster vents. I may have huge air leaks throughout the dash and that's why I get little cold air out the vents. evaporator was cleaned last year, everything else was replaced in April including rear lines, compressor, condenser, dryer, accumulator, etc. The only other thing I can think of is the door that allows air through the heater core may be open when it shouldn't. The recirc door seems to seal up tight and fan pulls good.

I also have a severe duty fan clutch that sounds like a P-51 at take off when it locks up, so I'm pretty sure that's not it. The truck never runs hot if fact.

Flyboat

Observer
I think I'm just going to relay the fan off the compressor clutch and skip all the temperature controlled stuff for simplicity. It's only purpose for me is to add oomph to the ac system. It's not big enough to do much else.

justcuz

Explorer
I didn't know that about the front end...

There are some 14 bolt 30 spline (I think 30) semi float six lug rears with g80s from vans floating around, I.think.

The 9.5 14 bolt semi float has 33 spline axles, 1.33 diameter axle shafts and big 13" drum brakes. You can find them in the 6 lug variety in light duty 3/4 trucks. My son has one in his 93 extra cab Chevy and I put one in my 93 Suburban after my axle bearings started leaking. It was a bolt in with a conversion u joint, even the parking brakes cables worked. They did use them in vans also, but you have to double check spring pad and axle width. The only axles you can get bigger than the 9.5 semi float is the Dana 60 semi float with 1.50 diameter axles. I agree with the previous poster on the traction device for the front axle. The center section is aluminum and with a locker installed I've heard of center section breakage. There are cast iron center sections made though, in Hummer applications, but I think it is the 9.25 for the H2 and a smaller 7.5? For the H3 alpha.
Frankly if your using it hard enough to break the housing, I would convert to an SAS or buy something different. I was considering an SAS on my 1993 Suburban and I still may do it eventually. I could keep the 9.5 semi float and use a Dana 44 high pinion out of a F250 and install Chevy 6 lug knuckles and hubs. Or just keep the front 8 lug and install a 10.5 full float out back.

Last edited:

Flyboat

Observer
So I never thought it would happen to me, but I broke my 10 bolt gov loc today. I'm not sure what happened first, but the pinon contacted the carrier. This is my daily driver, and I do truly love the truck. I've been working through a parts recycler. Thought I found a 14bsf, but he pulled the cover and didn't feel good about selling it to me. Thank you for decent people that care. Wheels auto recycler in Nevada, Texas. Bruce is who helped me. He found me another one 14bsf, 6 lug, out of a 4wd, but it wont be here until late monday. I ordered the ubolt flip kit from Off road designs and the conversion u joint. It will be here tuesday as well. I have the original pulled already. So by default I am doing my first axle swap.

Flyboat

Observer
Went together almost without a hitch and feels like a new truck again. The only hitch was the slow UPS man and the new u joint didn't come with new straps like I am use to. I had to move over my original brake lines which was a pain. The larger brakes make the truck stop so much better it seems. Shocks and mounts all lined up perfect. The only thing was the new axle does not have provisions for a sway bar. I'm running without right now. I can't tell any difference.

justcuz

Explorer
Check your other thread for 8.5 and 9.5 specs I posted for you.
I had a leaf added and my rear springs re-arched an extra 2". Don't miss the rear sway bar either.
Pictures of mine are in the Show us your Suburban thread. Page 35.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1