Camp Stereo

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Yeah.

Don't be so selfish while in the wilderness by ruining it with noise. Please remember that the leisure time you spend out-of-doors is in no way related to your wants, needs, or what you think is enjoyable. When you are in my wilderness, your thoughts should be all about MY leisure time and MY needs. Didn't anyone tell you? It's right there in the Camping Etiquette handbook on page 74. You should know better. Who raised you?

Official statistics have recently been published in the notorious periodical "Grumpy-Pants Quarterly" (which was previously referred to as "Me, Me, Me! Quarterly") and they clearly state that there is a 7,000,000 to 1 chance that I could wind up parked within 100 yards of you while you are listening to music "out loud", while "in the wilderness". I find these odds to be unacceptable and therefore feel the need to publicly shame you for your yet-to-be-implemented thoughtlessness.

Moonshine. Cricket. Washing machine. Rainbow fart. I felt it necessary to mention a few more of my thoughts that in no way answer the question that the OP posted. Perhaps I should start my own thread to be a jerk? Naw. I'm a jerk wherever I want to be. But only if it is not DEAD QUIET!

Last edited:

JakeH

Adventurer
Cambridge audio yoyo M is absolutely the winner in this portable speaker class. True stereo, amazing sound & reasonable price. If you want to roll your own, parts Express dot Com has plenty of kits available for purchase online or in store. Otherwise, stay quiet out there!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I just can't leave this alone.

In my humble opinion...if I choose to camp so close to you (whoever you are, wherever you are) that you have any chance at all to irritate me at camp...then that is my fault. I chose my location poorly. Bigger lift. Larger tires. More pinstripes. Further away from shore power. That will fix it. Same goes the other way. If you choose to camp within a distance that permits me to irritate you...then you are doing it wrong.

Right?

I don't know about everyone else, but I go camping to get away from other people and social responsibilities. I try to stay as far away from everyone else as I can without actually having to get off my lazy behind and leave the road. If I want to listen to devil music or bluegrass at camp, I do. At any volume I like. So far, nary a deer or woodchuck has said a nasty word about it. Well, not to my face. An elk mouthed off to me on the Interwebs last week. I told him exactly what I thought of him. Online. From the safety of my Grumpy-Couch.

As it happens, I use headphones at camp because they are easy and the volume level is the same no matter where I am around camp. And, they are wireless. Wireless is good.

Trust me, my decision to use headphones has nothing to do with the delicate sensibilities of others.

We go out of town to pretend that we live a different life in an easier time, if only for a day or two, however we see fit, but then some of us choose to hang around campgrounds with two dozen other families only to complain about the nature of people? Methinks these people like to complain due to the position they are putting themselves in. Maybe they yearn to complain about the same crap in a different location?

To the OP, I hope you will listen to any music you like, with any headphones, boom boxes, or speakers that you like, wherever you camp. If anyone complains, just smile, hand them a complimentary Geritol, feed them beer until the Geritol kicks in, and go about your business. You will of course, need to keep a couple of Geritol on-hand. Judging from the aggressive anti-musical posts in this thread...maybe more than a couple of Geritol.

Now, to the OP's question, I've been wondering about the same thing and have been looking at the Festool Sys-rock (because I have some of their tools and batteries, and often use their light around camp. They each use the same batteries, and these batteries last forever. Online reviews for sound quality seem to be less-than-stellar though.

To the obvious delight of many grumpy old men here, the Sys-Rock will not be loud.

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
I just can't leave this alone.

In my humble opinion...if I choose to camp so close to you (whoever you are, wherever you are) that you have any chance at all to irritate me at camp...then that is my fault. I chose my location poorly. Bigger lift. Larger tires. More pinstripes. Further away from shore power. That will fix it. Same goes the other way. If you choose to camp within a distance that permits me to irritate you...then you are doing it wrong.

Right?

I don't know about everyone else, but I go camping to get away from other people and social responsibilities. I try to stay as far away from everyone else as I can without actually having to get off my lazy behind and leave the road. If I want to listen to devil music or bluegrass at camp, I do. At any volume I like. So far, nary a deer or woodchuck has said a nasty word about it. Well, not to my face. An elk mouthed off to me on the Interwebs last week. I told him exactly what I thought of him. Online. From the safety of my Grumpy-Couch.

As it happens, I use headphones at camp because they are easy and the volume level is the same no matter where I am around camp. And, they are wireless. Wireless is good.

Trust me, my decision to use headphones has nothing to do with the delicate sensibilities of others.

We go out of town to pretend that we live a different life in an easier time, if only for a day or two, however we see fit, but then some of us choose to hang around campgrounds with two dozen other families only to complain about the nature of people? Methinks these people like to complain due to the position they are putting themselves in. Maybe they yearn to complain about the same crap in a different location?

To the OP, I hope you will listen to any music you like, with any headphones, boom boxes, or speakers that you like, wherever you camp. If anyone complains, just smile, hand them a complimentary Geritol, feed them beer until the Geritol kicks in, and go about your business. You will of course, need to keep a couple of Geritol on-hand. Judging from the aggressive anti-musical posts in this thread...maybe more than a couple of Geritol.

Now, to the OP's question, I've been wondering about the same thing and have been looking at the Festool Sys-rock (because I have some of their tools and batteries, and often use their light around camp. They each use the same batteries, and these batteries last forever. Online reviews for sound quality seem to be less-than-stellar though.

To the obvious delight of many grumpy old men here, the Sys-Rock will not be loud.

My goodness, I think I camped close to you once in a state park. I pretty much knew there would be no listening to the great horned owls hooting it up when your scout troop rolled that big screen TV out of the trailer and set up the surround sound. Yes sir nothing compliments the outdoors like Die Hard on 500 watts of surround sound.

As to camping in areas where others are at, I'd love to always get away in the wilderness, but 9 hours of driving each way for a quick one night get away aint gonna happen. So you get flung in with the dirty unwashed who only care about theirselves.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
My goodness, I think I camped close to you once in a state park. I pretty much knew there would be no listening to the great horned owls hooting it up when your scout troop rolled that big screen TV out of the trailer and set up the surround sound. Yes sir nothing compliments the outdoors like Die Hard on 500 watts of surround sound.

As to camping in areas where others are at, I'd love to always get away in the wilderness, but 9 hours of driving each way for a quick one night get away aint gonna happen. So you get flung in with the dirty unwashed who only care about theirselves.

Then you sir...are also doing it wrong. Why would you drive for 9 hours to ********** about the people you camp next to when you could simply stay home, camp in your driveway, and ********** about the same neighbors you always ********** about? Might save you a lot of money. Wife might be less surprised as well. Normality and all that. Maybe you should play some loud music to get even?

I get the feeling that the "old guard" are picking on the OP in this thread. Shame on you and them. If you don't like people and the problems that come with other people, then you might think about trying to stay away from people.

For christ's sake..."camping in a state park". What the hell did you think was going to happen? I have never in my 43 years camped in a state park, and I live amidst several. Hell, I have never in my 43 years camped next to another living person on purpose.

"Dear mom, I camped next to a bunch of other folks and they had the gall to continue to eat, ********, make noise and screw. How dare they?"

Last edited:

perterra

Adventurer
Then you sir...are also doing it wrong. Why would you drive for 9 hours to ********** about the people you camp next to when you could simply stay home, camp in your driveway, and ********** about the same neighbors you always ********** about? Might save you a lot of money. Wife might be less surprised as well. Normality and all that. Maybe you should play some loud music to get even?

I get the feeling that the "old guard" are picking on the OP in this thread. Shame on you and them. If you don't like people and the problems that come with other people, then you might think about trying to stay away from people.

For christ's sake..."camping in a state park". What the hell did you think was going to happen? I have never in my 43 years camped in a state park, and I live amidst several. Hell, I have never in my 43 years camped next to another living person on purpose.

"Dear mom, I camped next to a bunch of other folks and they had the gall to continue to eat, ****, make noise and screw. How dare they?"

Then you have a luxury many do not. I think the key to what the "old guard" is saying is, consider others, they arent as excited by you as you are. If you are in an area with no people around, then blast it till your hearts content. But the "old guard" has likely experienced someone in camp who is an obnoxious ass.

ArkansasDon

Observer
we the wife & I do more dispersed than public places, the last thing both of us want to hear is noises from civilization. I'm a business owner & my wife is in management for a local hospital. We are nomadic in our travels & choose to be this way. We do carry a weather radio with us & only listen to it when the weather is questionable in the area we are camping in. 95% of the time were dispersed camping the other 5% is in public camp grounds with our son w\his 30ft RV & his family which isn't our cup of tea doing this type of camping but always enjoy our family.
29216174_1615023248546543_5689303002973782302_n.jpg

grogie

Like to Camp
we the wife & I do more dispersed than public places, the last thing both of us want to hear is noises from civilization. I'm a business owner & my wife is in management for a local hospital. We are nomadic in our travels & choose to be this way. We do carry a weather radio with us & only listen to it when the weather is questionable in the area we are camping in. 95% of the time were dispersed camping the other 5% is in public camp grounds with our son w\his 30ft RV & his family which isn't our cup of tea doing this type of camping but always enjoy our family.

Great picture and I like your style! And I do too enjoy most leaving civilization at home. The sounds of the woods, the wind, a fire, and good conversation.

dcg141

Adventurer
Ultimate Ears I have one of these. Very clear even at low volumes. I race motorcycles and camp with a lot of ambient noise going on around me..its nice to have to listen to instead of generators. Also at really big events race order and pa announcements are done over a wifi that I can send to the speaker. Use it regular camping also. I like to listen to music when I'm cooking. You just have to use good judgement. I never have it above conversation level in any camp situation. If I camped next to you I doubt you would even know I had it unless you walked up close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design