Camping with Firearm-Post Bear Mauling

Caduceus

Adventurer
Nope. Never taken a gun camping, likely never will. Seen cougars, bobcats, bears, people. The last are the ones that bother me.

I don't look like a deer, otter, raccoon or squirrel. Therefore, I am not prey. I may be a threat... but that's my fault for being stupid.

Besides, I too would rather go out with a bang than sit on a ventilator somewhere with a raging infection when I'm 90.

xtatik

Explorer
I do not like the idea of standing in front of 1000 pounds of charging, pissed off grizzly with only a bottle of pepper spray between me and my maker.

No question it would be unnerving, but you have to realize a bears olfactory nervous system is IMMENSE and is both its greatest asset and its greatest weakness. A gun will stop a bear by disabling it if the shooter is effective in shot placement. But, the gun will never be as capable as spray at inflicting pain on a bear.
In a tight quartered, quick response situation...I'd choose the spray. Earlier in the thread someone questioned what would happen if spray were discharged in a tent when attacked. Bottom line....you'd be damned uncomfortable for a couple of hours, but nowhere near in as bad shape as the bear. This stuff just tears at their nostrils and sends a shot up their olfactory nerve in a way that no other mammal is affected.....it is immediate, and hits them very hard. Unlike other mammals (ourselves included), their olfactory nerve is an extension of their brain. It's effect on humans or other mammals cannot be compared with its effect on a bear.

ignorant

Observer
I do not like the idea of standing in front of 1000 pounds of charging, pissed off grizzly with only a bottle of pepper spray between me and my maker.

I understand the sentiment 100%, but I don't have the time to practice with firearms enough to be sure of my skill. I'm a corporate choad 60-70 hours a week and the rest of the time is spent with my wife and child.

I like carrying both, I'm a belt and suspenders engineering nerd kind of guy.

Statements from this paper.. http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/bear spray.pdf

Have me thinking though.. Particularly...

" Canadian bear biologist Dr. Stephen Herrero
reached similar conclusions based on his own research -- a person’s chance of incurring serious injury from
a charging grizzly doubles when bullets are fired versus when bear spray is used."

Now maybe If I lived in Alaska and had more time to hunt and shoot, I'd be more confident in my gun skills.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I understand the sentiment and reasoning regarding a temporary disablement of a bear with pepper spray VS killing the animal.

My point is simple, however, If the pepper spray does not deter the bear you WILL be lunch. I have a close friend that survived a bear attack on the Alaska Peninsula while moose hunting. The bear (a very large male brown bear - over 48" high at the shoulder while lying down flat on the ground) was in tag alders and bolted at their approach, circles until it hit their back trail, and came straight up the back trail at full speed. It died about 12 feet from where they were standing.

The provocation was, apparently, that they were in the same neighborhood as the bear. They were not stalking the bear, and had no idea that it was there until it bolted, then turned and charged.

My friend is a very seasoned outdoorsman, and he was with a experienced, professional guide. This kind of thing is not common, but it happens every year in Alaska, and people are killed in Canada and the rocky Mountain states often enough to provoke these discussions.

I am proficient with firearms and usually have some form of protection with me when traveling. The only times I have drawn a weapon is in encounters with two legged predators. I much prefer to never have an experience like my friend's, nor do I go looking for trouble. I don't even kill rattlesnakes unless one of my dogs is in danger of being bitten. Still, I stand by my statement that, in the most extreme instance, a firearm can save your (or another's) life.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
my bear protection is a loaded 454 casull revolver with a mix of 260 grain jacked hallow points and 300 grain flat nose. hits 200 yards if needed and will take down a charging rhino.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
my bear protection is a loaded 454 casull revolver with a mix of 260 grain jacked hallow points and 300 grain flat nose. hits 200 yards if needed and will take down a charging rhino.

I use 454 casull as light loads. :elkgrin:

S&W .460 XVR 8"

748245395_vCzmn-L.jpg

Compared to my 6" .357

748245379_m2onE-L.jpg

Entirely in jest. I just couldn't resist. :sombrero:

LACamper

Adventurer
I haven't camped in brown bear country since I was a kid. We always brought a .30 rifle (enfield usually- 10 rounds of .303 is reassuring).

In the south bears are scarce. People are certainly an issue. We had a problem with some escaped juvie's in MS once. I was glad we had a few guns in the group that night. I usually carry a 1911.

But the bigger problem is packs of feral dogs. That's probably the biggest threat we face in the woods. They're hungry and they aren't afraid of people. Mace is not going to stop all of them.

your never gonna outrun a bear, much less at night... and would be unlikely to get off a good shot in the dark... especially if you are half asleep and have to worry about hitting folks in the camp site next to you.
You don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun everyone else running :Wow1:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
those are sexy. i shot a S&W 500. at the range, definatly going to have one soon. kicks less than my 454. sweet gun for sure.

I have shot both but I like the .460 over the .500. The .460 has a higher velocity and less kick. Especially with the 8" compensated barrel. I was practicing at the range and fired off about 30 rounds with no ill effects.

Pretty impressive at night too. :Wow1: Shows you why you don't want meat anywhere near the cylinder gap if you want to keep it. :sombrero: It's a 60,000 PSI plasma cutter in your hand.

784674192_W9e5x-L.jpg

LACamper

Adventurer
How's your night vision after that?

You might want to try a different brand of ammo (or different powder if you reload).

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
How's your night vision after that?

You might want to try a different brand of ammo (or different powder if you reload).

It looks a little scary but that is the standard Corbon 200gr ammo that was manufactured in partnership with S&W for this gun.

Just the realities of a 2300 fps hand howitzer. :elkgrin:

Wyowanderer

Explorer
It looks a little scary but that is the standard Corbon 200gr ammo that was manufactured in partnership with S&W for this gun.

Just the realities of a 2300 fps hand howitzer. :elkgrin:

Or any other revolver, for that matter. They all leak flamefrom the cylinder gap. Some more than others.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Or any other revolver, for that matter. They all leak flame from the cylinder gap. Some more than others.

Very true. The first thing I tell someone I am teaching how to shoot a wheel gun is to keep your hands and fingers back on the grip and away from the cylinder.

Here's another shot of a .44 mag being fired. There is probably more fire coming out of the cylinder gap than seen here. I think the photo just missed it.

784674263_SwD9u-L.jpg

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Next time you're at the range, take a newspaper and a plastic bag. drape the newspaper around the revolver and take a shot.
The bag is for picking up the multitude of pieces.....
And practice fire safety- have some water available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1