carry gun

mobilguy66

Dave, If your looking into one, I forgot to add that this month they are coming out with a 3" mag. version. What will they think of next?? Cheers, Paul

Mercedesrover

Explorer
mobilguy66 said:
North American Arms 5 shot pocket derringer in .22 mag.

I've got one of those in the "PUG" version. Fun little things. They're like jewelery.

Daily carry in the winter is a NAA Guardian in .32, back-pocket holster
Daily carry in the summer is a Keltec P3AT (.380), back-pocket holster
If I'm going somewhere scary I'll carry a Sig P6 IWB. I've also got a Walther PPS but the holster (again, IWB) is still coming (after 5 months)

An AR7 stays stashed in my truck always. I ran a couple dozen rounds through it, took it apart and greased it up fit all the pieces into the stock and it just stays in the truck. I usually will throw in a Sig P6 or a Glock 19 when I'm going somewhere. Again, always stashed away. Open carry is for cops and cowboys. I will, sometimes, carry a couple lever guns in scabbards but not all the time.

And yes, I have a CCW permit.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
DaveM said:
Ok, now thats a cool gun. Ever since the expo article on the full folding stock .410s I've been looking into those as my all around travel firearm. But I may have to add the Judge to my search.

I really like the idea of a pistol sized .410.

There seems to be lot of these around. I don't think Taurus sold as many of these as they had hoped. They're a cool truck-gun but too big and clunky to carry anywhere. Hold and shoot one before you leap.

mrstang01

Adventurer
Martinjmpr said:
I normally have a Smith and Wesson 686 in .357 Mag in the back country, but I don't "wear" or carry it except very rarely. I've never seen the need to wear or carry a gun in the back country and it would seem counterproductive to do so for a number of reasons. The gun normally stays out of sight in the cab of the truck during the day and at night it goes wherever I happen to be sleeping.

I don't openly display or brandish the gun and to be honest I wouldn't feel comfortable around someone who did. It's not that guns scare me (duh, I spent 23 years in the Army, it's not like I'm unfamiliar with weapons) but people who feel a need to display their hardware bother me a bit.

I know .357 is not ideal for bears but hopefully it will at least make them consider a different line of work, and it should be fine for the rare, 2-legged predators I might come across.

And the gun in your truck will do you what good against a bear? This is why people carry openly.

Michael

Mercedesrover

Explorer
mrstang01 said:
And the gun in your truck will do you what good against a bear? This is why people carry openly.

I might open-carry in bear country, in the fall in Alaska, though I've been back-woods camping in both Denali (where you can't carry) and down on the Kenai and only carried bear spray. I know the threat of bears is real but I think it's a bit over-blown. Up in the Adirondacks or North Maine Woods I don't really think it's necessary to open carry though I would like something in my truck and in the tent at night.

mobilguy66

Mercedesrover said:
There seems to be lot of these around. I don't think Taurus sold as many of these as they had hoped. They're a cool truck-gun but too big and clunky to carry anywhere. Hold and shoot one before you leap.

Here in PA my local gun dealer sells them as fast as he can get them. NRA named them gun of the year, that may help. Super fun to shoot. We were shooting bats in our bass boat at dusk and had so much fun and laughed so hard we almost fell out. Cheers, Paul

DaveM

Explorer
mobilguy66 said:
Here in PA my local gun dealer sells them as fast as he can get them. NRA named them gun of the year, that may help. Super fun to shoot. We were shooting bats in our bass boat at dusk and had so much fun and laughed so hard we almost fell out. Cheers, Paul

what? gee, i wonder where the anti gun camp gets there image of the wasteful fire arm nut, gleefully pluggin away at anything that moves. hey it's just a critter right? :rolleyes:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Anyone looked at the Walther PPS. Its an insanely thin gun that comes in either 9mm or 40.

I like the feel of it and especially how thin it is. Seems like it would be a great carry gun.

Springfield 1911. Almost dripping with oil. A 1911 is a great gun, mainly for ease of operation, accuracy, and parts are interchangeable with other manufacturers (although I personally believe you should avoid doing so). I would avoid the .357/.38 snub-nose for the "Shoot it once, say 'God Almighty!' and never shoot it again" reason. And I prefer the .45 over 9mm for ballistic reasons. The 9mm has the tendency to penetrate the target cleanly and have the velocity to keep going afterwards, whereas the .45 hits the target with a wallop, and kind of drops out the back side.

I only carry a gun when I am the only vehicle, or when I know I will be with people I don't know. I would like to think I have more faith in humanity by not carrying all the time.

Whatever gun you carry, LEARN HOW TO SHOOT IT WELL. Learn how to shoot it with one hand, the way they were meant to be shot. I say you're a pretentious fool unless you can shoot that 6 pound hog leg with confidence and accuracy.

98dango

Expedition Leader
we have one winner

I just got a Glock 20 10 mm I got it second hand from my best frind and exp buddie. He just upgraded to a 10mm kimber. when he handed it over it was like i was taking his first car.

This has only had 50 rounds threw it 25 by me the day he got it. Im verry happy with teh feal of it.

My lady on the outher had has held every gun in the area and still cant find one that fits her hand well.

she may be stuck with the 308 on the table.

as avid hunters we never felt the need for pistols but not want to haul 3 grad worth of guns in a jeep that dosent lock. just to be out in the woods Brought us to this spending spree.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
SOAZ said:
Anyone looked at the Walther PPS. Its an insanely thin gun that comes in either 9mm or 40.

I like the feel of it and especially how thin it is. Seems like it would be a great carry gun.

I have one in 9mm. The 40's seem to be a bit troublesome.

Yes, it's very thing and fits my hand perfectly. I've broken it in and it's been very reliable thus far. It's also pretty accurate for such a small, short-barreled gun.

I ordered a IWB holster from Kevin at K&D holster back in July. Might have it this week?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
mrstang01 said:

Michael

The chance that a bear will wander into an occupied camp while people are up and moving around (which is when the gun is in the truck) are so small as to be negligible. In fact, I've never - ever - heard of it happening.

Now, a bear wandering through in search of food after people have gone to bed? Yes, I've heard of that happening. Have to remember that Grizzlies are as rare as hens teeth in Colorado, most bears are black bears and black bears are not a major threat. Up in grizzly country I might behave a little differently but I just don't worry about it that much here in CO.

DaveM

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:
The chance that a bear will wander into an occupied camp while people are up and moving around (which is when the gun is in the truck) are so small as to be negligible. In fact, I've never - ever - heard of it happening.

Now, a bear wandering through in search of food after people have gone to bed? Yes, I've heard of that happening. Have to remember that Grizzlies are as rare as hens teeth in Colorado, most bears are black bears and black bears are not a major threat. Up in grizzly country I might behave a little differently but I just don't worry about it that much here in CO.

I agree, late at night is when your most often going to encounter a bear in camp. But bear's coming into camp during the day is a very real possibility and probably happens way more than you think. On a road trip to Alaska years ago we encountered many bears. Most of them along the road, 2 in camp during the day, none that we were aware of at night while we slept.

One of the camp encounters was a young, hungry brown bear. He wandered right up to our picnic table as we fled into the cab of the truck. One whif of our scent and he did a prompt 180 and ran back down the trail. No gun needed.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Martinjmpr said:
Up in grizzly country I might behave a little differently but I just don't worry about it that much here in CO.
About the only thing that freaks me out here are mountain lions. But since I'm usually on my bike I'm not sure how much good a pistol's gonna do against them. They'd be on me like white on rice before I knew what was happening and then I'd be all tangled in my bike and Camlebak that I would have more luck hitting it with a tire pump than digging around for the gun. Heck, even hiking or camping, by the time you get a gun out the lion will have the upper hand. You just ain't gonna see it coming.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
DaveM said:
But bear's coming into camp during the day is a very real possibility and probably happens way more than you think.

In the article I wrote for Overland Journal in the summer '08 edition I account an incident that happened to us in northern Quebec. One afternoon a mature black bear wandered into our campsite looking for something yummy. (We were cooking steak and didn't have enough to share.) He was turned away with a little shouting and we never saw him again. Being in Canada I didn't have any firearms with me and even if I did, at most he would have gotten a warning shot in the air. He was about 20 feet from me but I still didn't feel like our lives were in danger. Still, I slept with one eye open that night.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1