carry gun

mrstang01

Adventurer
There are moose in my front or back yard every week and I have seen black bears occaisonally (2-4 times/year) also in my driveway or yard. Does this mean I should go armed to my mailbox or every time I walk out the door?
I think not; the risks of wildlife in North America are vastly over-rated. In this city of ~250K people, the last time someone was killed by a wild animal* within city limits was ~8 years ago when a moose stomped someone to death. Not counting of course the hundreds of moose-car collisions every year in Southcentral Alaska, a few of which are fatal to the driver.
There was I believe one person killed last year in the area (out of the city) by a brown bear. That's not much considering the number of people in the woods, hills and fishing every summer.

Charlie

But what if you're the one?

Michael

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
But the .45 ACP is not the same as the .45 Colt. I think the .357 would be a better choice, and I carry a .45 ACP every day. When I go to the woods, it's either .357 or more likely the 10mm.

Michael

hey mr. stang, i wrote confusing words, sorry. I was saying that both the .45acp round AND the .45 colt have a long history of being pressed into service as a game-getter.

neither are probably ideal, but both are long lived and well loved for a reason, IMO. :)

45acp

jerry92toy...a 45acp is not a short 45l colt. they are 2 entirely different cases,the 45acp is shorter in length an has a rebated rim.

Last edited:

KG6BWS

Explorer
Geez man

Jerry this was to get opinions on what pepole youse. Not to start a fight. You get in trouble when you push it. I know your thoughts on the 10 MM. I also know why I bought a 10 MM. But man you really need to chill.

no kidding!!!

for what its worth it, i carry a 45 acp most of the time and a 45 colt in the mountains. i can put down a bear if i need to with the colt. and the acp is a tried and true round. i dont care what people say about the 10mm, if thats what you want to carry, thats fine, but my personal preference is for a round with damn near 100 years of use.

my ::2cents::

But what if you're the one?

Michael

If I get killed walking the dog or walking out to my car by a ferocious moose or black bear because I'm not armed at that moment, that's the way it goes. I'm actually much more worried about driving (other drivers) to work than getting killed by an animal in my yard. Last moose in my backyard: 48 hrs ago.
You can't "insure" against every possibility. Carrying a weapon can produce a subtle change in the carrier which translates to aggression, noticed by an animal as facial expressions and/or pheromones. Needless to say this also occurs in human-human interactions when guns are involved.
I'm not antigun; I have two loaded battle rifles in my bedroom and I have killed more caribou than I can count with one of them (M1A). I just don't carry very often.
I do bring the rifle when camping in remote locations. It will definitely stop a bear: 20 shot clip, .308, semiauto

Charlie

PS: Last wild animal fatality in Anchorage: ~8 yrs ago (moose stomping). Based on that, probability of getting killed inside city limits by wild animal ~1:730 million per day = less than chance of dying from gamma ray burst from collapsing nearby neutron star

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
If I get killed walking the dog or walking out to my car by a ferocious moose or black bear because I'm not armed at that moment, that's the way it goes. I'm actually much more worried about driving (other drivers) to work than getting killed by an animal in my yard. Last moose in my backyard: 48 hrs ago.
You can't "insure" against every possibility. Carrying a weapon can produce a subtle change in the carrier which translates to aggression, noticed by an animal as facial expressions and/or pheromones. Needless to say this also occurs in human-human interactions when guns are involved.
I'm not antigun; I have two loaded battle rifles in my bedroom and I have killed more caribou than I can count with one of them (M1A). I just don't carry very often.

Charlie

PS: Last wild animal fatality in Anchorage: _8 yrs ago (moose stomping). Based on that, probability of getting killed inside city limits by wild animal ~1:730 million per day = less than chance of dying from gamma ray burst from collapsing nearby neutron star

I think thats a healthy perspective. I usually go with a mixture of my gut feeling that day, and an assessment of where I'll be/what I'll be doing.

you're probably the same?

KG6BWS

Explorer
I think thats a healthy perspective. I usually go with a mixture of my gut feeling that day, and an assessment of where I'll be/what I'll be doing.

you're probably the same?

thats how i do it. other than in the mountains, i judge it on where im going and what im doing. when i worked nights compton, for instance, i always carried.

762X39

Explorer
It seems that this expo group is mostly pretty sane about carry and being prepared. As a Canadian I cannot legally carry and it doesn't bother me.I have a King Cobra that I love but as you know my carry of choice in the bush is a 12 gauge LEO shotgun cause the ballistics of a 1 1/4 ounce slug will stop anything and # 7 shot will feed me.
I carried an automatic weapon for years when I served but never felt safer with it. Using my head and listening to my gut always seemed to be the better form of protection and prevention.The most important thing if you carry is not ballistics or magazine capacity, it is your training and mindset. Even if you only carry a .22 or 380 auto but actually are capable of using it and have a good backup plan (fortune favours the prepared) you will do just fine. Besides it will be the drunk that blows the red light that punches your ticket.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
It seems that this expo group is mostly pretty sane about carry and being prepared. As a Canadian I cannot legally carry and it doesn't bother me.I have a King Cobra that I love but as you know my carry of choice in the bush is a 12 gauge LEO shotgun cause the ballistics of a 1 1/4 ounce slug will stop anything and # 7 shot will feed me.
I carried an automatic weapon for years when I served but never felt safer with it. Using my head and listening to my gut always seemed to be the better form of protection and prevention.The most important thing if you carry is not ballistics or magazine capacity, it is your training and mindset. Even if you only carry a .22 or 380 auto but actually are capable of using it and have a good backup plan (fortune favours the prepared) you will do just fine. Besides it will be the drunk that blows the red light that punches your ticket.

aint that the truth.:)

A lot of the time I go out with just a big CRKT folder (m16 series), sometimes I take a good ol' louisville slugger (walks, park trips, anywhere dogs and hooligans might be...lol) and I, too, always have a 12 ga in the woods.

I can't say that I have tactical training, cuz i don't, but I have covered an intruder outside my windows until they decided to move on. I always seem to tend towards simple and effective when rushed. (chose the 12ga that night)

jnaut

Observer
So who here carries out in the back country. My wife has brought it to my attention she dosent feal safe. I might agree with her we tend to get in some odd places.

so who carries and what do u carrie

I tend to carry anywhere remote where 911 won't get a quick response. Or 911 doesn't exist. Or no one can hear you scream.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
You Americans are funny about guns.

But, since we in the kingdom of Canada are prohibited from carrying handguns, I take a couple of shotguns with me when heading out on unpaved roads. Winchested Defender shorty and Remington with Knoxx recoil reducing stock. 12 gauge of course.

My friends make fun of me when I take them out at camp. :gunt:

Didn't see the call for that statement except for the fact that you Canadians are funny about Americans.

Great thread, appreciate the info as my Fiancee has never felt threatenend in the back country until a recent experience and now we too have been thinking about packing. I've previously owned an S&W .357 and was now thinking about a Glock, but this thread has me leaning back toward the reliability of the .357, in my case.

Thanks again.

BBsound

Adventurer
Carrying a weapon can produce a subtle change in the carrier which translates to aggression, noticed by an animal as facial expressions and/or pheromones. Needless to say this also occurs in human-human interactions when guns are involved.

Charlie, with me, (and most people i have discussed this with) carrying causes me to want to avoid trouble more, ie: just letting go of a situation instead of pursuing it.

02tacotoy

Adventurer
no kidding!!!

for what its worth it, i carry a 45 acp most of the time and a 45 colt in the mountains. i can put down a bear if i need to with the colt. and the acp is a tried and true round. i dont care what people say about the 10mm, if thats what you want to carry, thats fine, but my personal preference is for a round with damn near 100 years of use.

my ::2cents::

My EDC is a glock 27 loaded with HST Hollow points
The .45 is a nice round but,I never feel undergunned with the .40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1