Chance at picking up a 1998 E350 EB V10

ClubWagon

Observer
Might have a chance at getting a 1998 E350 EB with a V10 with under 125k miles. From the pictures the body and inside look perfect for the age. I might be able to get for less than 3800 bucks. I had been just planning to keep my 96 with the 351 but with stumbling across this my plans maybe changing. If it's still available I'm going to go look at it tomorrow afternoon. Thoughts from anyone... As for what to be on the look out for on the V10 or did I just temporarily lose my mind for a second while looking for a replacement for my wife's suburban.

Bbasso

Expedition goofball
Early V10's would and do spit spark plugs, get in the engine bay and see if there had been any tinkering with them.
with the trans, make sure the fluid is clean and smell free of burn.

ert01

Adventurer
Everyone always says to check the plugs on the V10's... and I'm just curious, is there a way to bulletproof the plugs BEFORE they become a problem?

Bbasso

Expedition goofball
from my understanding, preventative maintenance is the best for keeping problems away.
proper plugs, tq specs and anti-seize?
But I don't know of any "bullet proofing" a V10. The 2005+ year V10's had more thread (from the factory) for the plugs to grab into so they don't get spit out so easy.

Also I see problems with the exhaust manifold studs breaking/ rusting off making the exhaust leak. Again get in there and poke around and maybe replace the studs before they become a headache.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
The only spark plug ejection prevention I know of is replacing them ahead of schedule and using anti-sieze and getting torqued correctly.

Another school of thought is drive it till it pops a plug then pull the body and do all the plugs, repair failed ones with the lock-stitch repair and do exhausts studs, etc at that time. Not my way but whatever.

At that mileage (~125k) and a low buy-in I'd be tempted to spend the $ on plugs, studs, maybe a water pump while you're there, etc and consider it a lifetime repair. That is to say, do it right now, and it should last as long as you're likely to keep the van. Not saying it'll be a throw away with 250k but if that takes 10 years to achieve everything else on the van will be 27 years old by then and either worn beyond your uses or ready for a re-do.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Spark plugs are basically a non issue. Some have blown out after a monkey screwed them up. The f150 V8's and Mustangs have the same problem and you never hear of it but when the V10 comes up OMG the plugs blow out. The newer thicker heads were worse because those plugs broke off when you removed them. The V10 is so good that if you call the engine re manufactures they don't even want your old core. They can't sell them because they last so long. Don't touch the plugs untill they have 100k on them then pay a dealer who has the tools to deal with any problems. You can go to the Ford forums and read how to do them but you have 10 chances to screw one up.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Agreed. The some V10s had issues, but with the hundred's of thousands running around, the problem is minor. You always hear about someone's brother's, best friends, dad's, son's friend's rig had an issue so they are crap!

ClubWagon

Observer
Thanks for all of the input. That one got away before I had a chance to look at it. Not a real big deal. So now back to the plan of ideas I have with my current van. After getting stuck axle deep in the mud yesterday those plans can't get started fast enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1