Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
While I do think the Edgestars have some quality issues, I would also add that many 12V problems are not problems at all. There is the widely known issue of the loose connections on the circuit board, which is easily remedied. But, in short, if you think you can just plug it into your cigarette lighter and run it, you will likely be mistaken. The fridge will shutoff under a certain voltage. I'm not sure what that is (maybe 11v or so). So even a properly working fridge and properly working charging system might have less than 11v at the outlet if there is a voltage drop to due the gauge of the wires or the voltage dropping at the outlet due to the load when the compressor is running.

I initially thought the 12v part of my fridge was broken (even though I was running it through a 12v outlet I wired myself with 12 ga.wire.) The problem was that I needed to improve the contact between the plug and outlet.

I really don't think even a $300 fridge should require troubleshooting right out of the box or an EE degree. But unfortunately, I don't think these Edgestars are exactly plug and play. However, I do think they can work very well in a vehicle if you take the time to set it up right.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
X2 I cant believe you had that many problems. not trying to doubt your skills but I would bet something was wrong on your end with setting up the 12v side. I thought I had a broken unit also when my dual yellow tops would show 12v and the fridge would be turning off. After running a 6gauge(i know its overkill but I had it around lol) everything has run great. Ive had mine for 8 months with success. Ive prob taken this fridge on like 8 trips in 8 months, counting my 1000mile 10 day death valley Yosemite trip.

12v trouble ive ran into was always related to not having a solid 12v connection in various conditions. either stock 4runner wires too small or I tried a cheap 12v extension which also dropped my volts causing to fridge to shut down.

Keep us updated on your trouble most of us can walk you through fixing your problems.

Smksignals

Explorer
I really don't think even a $300 fridge should require troubleshooting right out of the box or an EE degree. But unfortunately, I don't think these Edgestars are exactly plug and play. However, I do think they can work very well in a vehicle if you take the time to set it up right.

I agree. I bought a scratch & dent quite some time ago, and have had zero problems. With that being said, I did prep the car for it -

#1. I had a crappy battery in the vehicle ready for replacing. I bought a Sears Diehard Platinum knowing I was going to run a fridge.

#2. I ran thick gauge wiring straight to the battery for the fridge, and bypassed the 12v socket in the rear.

#3. I replaced the original socket with a 2 prong lamp socket for positive connectivity.

the fridge cost me 349.00 and I am loving it. I didn't mind tinkering with the wiring, and I was due for a battery. best investment in my rig yet !!

kjp1969

Explorer
Just ordered an open-box model from Compact Appliance for $331 shipped. :wings:

Now I can see what all the fuss is about.

saburai

Explorer
I agree. I bought a scratch & dent quite some time ago, and have had zero problems. With that being said, I did prep the car for it -

#1. I had a crappy battery in the vehicle ready for replacing. I bought a Sears Diehard Platinum knowing I was going to run a fridge.

#2. I ran thick gauge wiring straight to the battery for the fridge, and bypassed the 12v socket in the rear.

#3. I replaced the original socket with a 2 prong lamp socket for positive connectivity.

the fridge cost me 349.00 and I am loving it. I didn't mind tinkering with the wiring, and I was due for a battery. best investment in my rig yet !!

About the same here. 2 Diehard Platinums, new heavy wireing. I didn't change the plug and I've had zero problems three years and counting...

Jay, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble!

UglyScout

Observer
I've had my 43 qt. for about 6 months and it has been great!

I had a problem with it keeping the 'set' temp (it would hold the set temp for a while and then default to -1 degree. OUCH! It froze everything and drained the batteries in a hurry) - but some wiggling and pushing on all the wires going into the lcd display/control box/brain and it has been working fine since. I did receive great customer service when I emailed compact appliance about my problem - they offered to exchange it/refund my money/send me parts/etc.

I cut off the factory 12v plug and added a beefy anderson connector and have had zero issues with it.

I'd spend +/-$350 to buy another one if I needed it.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I've had my 43 qt. for about 6 months and it has been great!

I had a problem with it keeping the 'set' temp (it would hold the set temp for a while and then default to -1 degree. OUCH!

Just remember hitting the set button twice will set it to -1, I had that problem in the begging. just make sure u only hit it once and wait till it starts blinking then use arrows and dont touch anything.

It would be really nice if you could change the hitting set twice to any temp u wanted. 38 would be money lol

CaliMobber

Adventurer
So I broke one of my fridge hinges. I had a bunch of wood loaded up next to it and I think a heavy piece put to much pressure on the lid. Anyone have any ideas for replacing?
photo132.jpg

UglyScout

Observer
Just remember hitting the set button twice will set it to -1, I had that problem in the begging. just make sure u only hit it once and wait till it starts blinking then use arrows and dont touch anything.

It would be really nice if you could change the hitting set twice to any temp u wanted. 38 would be money lol

Yeah - I read the instructions 10 times :D

I'd set it - it would show me the set temp - flash to the actual temp then between 5 minutes and an hour later it would go crazy and decide I wanted it to be -1. Did the same on 110 or 12v. The customer service guy didn't seem too surprised and offered a new control board right away...

So I broke one of my fridge hinges. I had a bunch of wood loaded up next to it and I think a heavy piece put to much pressure on the lid. Anyone have any ideas for replacing?

1st I'd email conpact appliances/edgestar - they will probably send you a new one.

2nd I would go to a good hardware store and find a hinge or two that has similar spacing on it and us it. I moved my latch from the front to the side and had no problem drilling and taping new holes in the lid and body of the fridge, I think you'd have the same success with the hinges if you couldn't find an exact match.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Just get some hinges without holes, and drill your own. Look on the bright side: it's your opportunity to "upgrade" to metal.

kjp1969

Explorer
Just ordered an open-box model from Compact Appliance for $331 shipped. :wings:

Now I can see what all the fuss is about.

So mine arrived and it looks great- all the original packaging and aside from the "open box" it looks like it hasn't been touched. The 110v works great, but the 12v cord doesn't plug into the fridge. I'm going to call today to see about a replacement.

Without reading through all 8 bazillion posts in this thread, has anyone come across this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1