Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

FshTaco99

Adventurer
I have never run mine on two batteries! I've run it in a rental car, as I posted before! I think you will find that a vast majority of those who spent a thousand plus dollars on a fridge also have dual batteries, solar, stc.

I figured a dual battery set-up is usually on the list of mods that come with a fridge. By the time you wire aux lights, winch, ect. the dual battery comes along somewhere on that list...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I found the amperage draw to be very reasonable and right in line with the high $$ fridges. I can run three days easily on a single 12V deep cycle battery in 80+ degree heat with no charging. Did that in Moab, not intentionally. I ran my truck to charge it back up and was good the rest of the week. Now that my solar panels work, they usually have the battery topped off for the next night by 10am.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that these are "amp hungry"? My experience has been that they do a very good job.
Mine has shipping information now. A buddy of mine grabbed one too. We are both anxiously awaiting their arrival :)

Don't the Edgestar models use around 4.5-5.5 amps while ARB and higher end models use 2.4 or less? Not to mention the soft start and built-in battery saver features that most of the cheaper models do not have.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I figured a dual battery set-up is usually on the list of mods that come with a fridge. By the time you wire aux lights, winch, ect. the dual battery comes along somewhere on that list...

An Optima Yellow top paired with a higher output alternator is all most folks need.

brushogger

Explorer
Our edgestar has has run flawlessly since June (many days if three digit heat) on my stock single FJ battery with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I hope to never own another ice chest! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Don't the Edgestar models use around 4.5-5.5 amps while ARB and higher end models use 2.4 or less? Not to mention the soft start and built-in battery saver features that most of the cheaper models do not have.
Mine ran just over 2 and does shut off to save the battery :)

4x4junkie

Explorer

It's around 3.8 amps for the FP430 while it is running (measured on a Fluke DMM). Average that out with the time it's not running and it's more like 1.8 amps or even less depending on ambient conditions. Its startup current is also quite reasonable (peaking about 5½ amps a few seconds after startup before tapering down) and yep, has low-battery shutdown too.

Might want to do a little more research before you go around dogging on them (and the people that own them) like that. You would find it's only real faults are almost entirely with it's plastic side handles and DC power cord & socket, items any handyman in about an hour's time should be able to fix and make better in the process.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It's around 3.8 amps for the FP430 while it is running (measured on a Fluke DMM). Average that out with the time it's not running and it's more like 1.8 amps or even less depending on ambient conditions. Its startup current is also quite reasonable (peaking about 5½ amps a few seconds after startup before tapering down) and yep, has low-battery shutdown too.

Might want to do a little more research before you go around dogging on them (and the people that own them) like that. You would find it's only real faults are almost entirely with it's plastic side handles and DC power cord & socket, items any handyman in about an hour's time should be able to fix and make better in the process.

I made no mention nor inference of the people who buy/own them, thanks though.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
X2
I made no mention nor inference of the people who buy/own them, thanks though.

...and you have been corrected!

Xterabl

Adventurer
I find it interesting that folks would rather feel good about "saving" a bit of money on an item only to turn around and spend more than they saved

FYI, this is technically considered "dogging", especially since you chose to add quotes around the word "saving".
Not that it's any big deal; to each his own.
But I definitely agree with one poster...once you have a fridge you're just one small mod away from dual batteries anyways.

To be fair, a lot of anecdotal evidence (including my own) says that Edgestar is good for 1.5 -3 days without battery charge; whereas danfoss fridges are good for 3-5 days.
But to me, once you go beyond ~2 days, the difference isn't very significant.

bdosborn

Post 713 shows the amp-hr usage for an Edgstar in 80f temps to be 0.5 amp-hrs, which is exactly what I measured for my Waeco 40.
Bruce

nely

Adventurer
The "savings" between the edgestar and arb fridge would basically pay for a dual battery setup and higher amp alternator if its really a concern.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Any additional load to a stock charging system would require modifications to provide for the accessories added. Charging systems in today's vehicles are sized pretty closely to the OEM system. There just is not much room for additional loads outside the design. Those vehicles designed with a tow package and associated "house battery" charging, should be prepared to accept loads of this size. It never hurts to add some reserve , both in capacity and supply.

I would agree that with any fridge added to a vehicle, an additional battery is an advantage. My set up includes four batteries. Two for the trailer and two for the tow rig. All that came before the 12V fridge :)

In my case, the $500+ I saved will be used for more traveling :)

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
My fridge arrived today. Looks perfect!

Fridge.JPG

Plugged into 120V to check it out. Cooled down quickly to 36° F . :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1