cheaper 12v fridge?

Darton

Adventurer
in all my camping adventures i've taken a cooler and worried that it always had ice in it . I think that I'd like to try out a 12v cooler now. Do any of you reccomend a good unit that I could pick up for under $200. Engel are out of my price range. I'm a believer in you get what you pay for but the budget doesn't allow. i've looked at kooltrons but it looks like the motor always runs. I think i'd like a thermostat control if there's one in my price range.

jnaut

Observer
in all my camping adventures i've taken a cooler and worried that it always had ice in it . I think that I'd like to try out a 12v cooler now. Do any of you reccomend a good unit that I could pick up for under $200. Engel are out of my price range. I'm a believer in you get what you pay for but the budget doesn't allow. i've looked at kooltrons but it looks like the motor always runs. I think i'd like a thermostat control if there's one in my price range.

What size you lookin' at? I bought this Wagan which is OK, not a big capacity but it does a job. It's kind of neat because it can reverse the circuit and act as a warmer as well. Ignore the high-end price on the link I sent, you shouldn't pay more than about $39 US for it. I picked up mine at Fry's.

I trust you've done some research on these 12v peltier coolers and know their limitations, right?

chuck45

Observer
What size you lookin' at? I bought this Wagan which is OK, not a big capacity but it does a job. It's kind of neat because it can reverse the circuit and act as a warmer as well. Ignore the high-end price on the link I sent, you shouldn't pay more than about $39 US for it. I picked up mine at Fry's.

I trust you've done some research on these 12v peltier coolers and know their limitations, right?

You have to be real careful with these "coolers". First off they can only lower the temperature so many degree below ambient - something on the order of 40 degrees. If it's at all hot it is not a safe food temperature. And they kill batteries. I used to have one in my Ford diesel PU. If I left it on for more than eight hours the truck wouldn't start in the morning. By contrast I've left my ARB 35 on for 3 days, without running the truck, and the truck would start.

A used Engle or ARB would be the way to go.

Darton

Adventurer
You have to be real careful with these "coolers". First off they can only lower the temperature so many degree below ambient - something on the order of 40 degrees. If it's at all hot it is not a safe food temperature. And they kill batteries. I used to have one in my Ford diesel PU. If I left it on for more than eight hours the truck wouldn't start in the morning. By contrast I've left my ARB 35 on for 3 days, without running the truck, and the truck would start.

A used Engle or ARB would be the way to go.

Yeah this was a concern to me because of what you say. if it's hot the "cooler only cools to a certin degree below outside temps. i'm just looking for something small for my jeep for a couple day trip. samich meat cheese cow juice, and things of that sort.

jnaut

Observer
Chuck45 nailed it. That's why i made sure to ask if everyone was familiar with the limitations. If your truck gets to 120 degrees while sitting in the sun, your cooler will be lucky to get it down below 80. Which if you think about it is pretty good which you consider the temp differential. However, despite the impressive nature of that circuit cooling, that ain't cool. While you're traveling though, if you have air in the car and get the internal air temp down to a nice cool temp, the cooler will actually keep drinks and what not cold. It'll probably get its internal temperature below 45f.

And yes, I already killed my battery with the Wagan.

But I would like to again highlight the fact that the Wagan is also a warmer-- and man, that warmer function works well.

lexwoody

Adventurer

Edgestar Fridge. Its about $400 bucks but, still cheaper than the others.

http://www.compactappliance.com/FP4...P430,default,pd.html?cgid=Appliances-Freezers

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Coleman Extreme coolers work pretty well for 4 days if you are careful. The downside is that you need to dig quickly through ice that sometimes become an iceberg heap and your food often becomes soggy, especially the veggies for some reason.

We just purchased an Edgestar 43.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1