Checking out a 1017a soon what should I look for

Deshet

Adventurer
Long story short.
This was originally owned by the US military.
I believe it was brought over as a vehicle to evaluate replacing the 1960-1980s era 2.5 and 5.0 ton military vehicles.

Prior to purchase I found an article that stated 6 were originally brought over in 1993. This is the second one that I have seen in person that started life with the US military.

This was sold to me as a 1993 model and I would like to verify that information as soon as possible.

I cannot find much information online but I would like to verify the year.

Wondering if you guys in Europe and else where can see more than I can find out here. (USA) The Mercedes dealers cannot even validate the year or get a data card for it.

If anybody can get a data card or any build info and the year it was made that would be truly appreciated.

The attached PDF has been the most helpful resource I've been able to find so far

Thanks

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
Our 917 AF was a 1993 chassis, I am almost certain the 1017 and 1217 were available too (according to the sales brochure that came with the truck. There was a 6 speed manual available for for the 1993 917AF although I have never heard of anyone with one. They all seem to be the 5 speed that has a huge gap between 3rd and fourth.
Even with high speed axles 55mph is all you can hope to cruise at.
They are great trucks that will get a lot of people excited to see you. You will need to do a lot of wrenching yourself. You will need patience and a good internet connection, and a healthy repair savings account.

Deleted Member 183

I honestly know next to nothing about Mercedes MED-HD trucks, but know about DOD testing of equipment because of designs I have done for them. They beat the living crap out of equipment!!!

I would try to find specifically, a Mercedes truck mechanic to help you!

What may seem like a minor issue... Could be a deal killer!

Deshet

Adventurer
I guess one good thing is it started off as a water tanker so it's very unlikely it was used for much joyriding. The last few years it supported a rural fire Department. It only has about 12,000 km

Neil

Observer
The 1017 finished in 89. As I suggested in an earlier post it cannot be 1993

Something is not quite right .

I have also never heard of a 1017 with a 6 speed box .

Warning bells are ringing with this one

Neil

Last edited:

Neil

Observer
Our 917 AF was a 1993 chassis, I am almost certain the 1017 and 1217 were available too

1017 finished in 1989

The 1017 and the 917 are very different

The 1017 with fast axles and 22.5 inch wheels will cruise comfortable at 60 at about 2100 rpm on the highway .

It's capable of slightly higher but happy at 60

Neil

Joe917

Explorer
I think you'll find the MB NG ended on 88 and became the MB SK (89-98), still with the 917, 1017, etc. designations

Neil

Observer
I don't know when the SK ended, but the model 1017 ended in 89 . It cannot be a 93 as the seller suggests.

There wasn't a 1017 in the SK range .

If the seller is saying it's a 6 speed 1017a from 1993, it cannot be correct and needs to be approached with caution

The 917, as you know, is totally different build. They share the some of the same e running gear and engine but the chassis and cab are very different

It would be helpful and interesting to see some pictures .

Neil

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1