CK Excursions GX470 Build

toygoose

Observer
Hello all, long time member/lurker with my first real build on here. Please note that CK Excursions is not a business, just a FaceBook Page we use to showcase our adventures, check us out if you like.

We have picked up an 08 GX470 with 60k miles on it. This will be our 3rd unofficial build in the last 4 years, hopefully we will keep this one for awhile! This is getting pricey!

The general vibe of this GX will be overland and expedition driven, with as minimal weight and gear added as necessary to achieve the goal, get there and back in one piece. With this in mind, we will be doing all armor in the aluminum flavor, doing a top notch suspension, AT tires, dual battery system, and more!

I'll keep this updated as the project comes together.

Enjoy!

Picture from the day of purchase

phonepics 243.jpg

toygoose

Observer
Dual Battery Install

I know I just posted this today but I want to get this thread up to date.

The first order of business was to get the juices flowing, so I teamed up with Off-Grid Engineering to develop a "bolt in" dual battery system. A few weeks worth of work and it's in! For more info check out my full write up here
http://www.expeditioncolorado.net/forum/forum/4x4-discussion/build-threads/298-gx470-battery-tray

A link to the Off-Grid Engineering dual battery system here https://off-grid-engineering.myshopify.com/products/2002-2009-lexus-gx-470-auxiliary-battery-tray

3pics.jpg

toygoose

Observer
Rear Storage

Next on the list of needs, rear storage. I first started off with a CAD design with most of drawn up and room to add things as needed. I decided to go with 1" t-slot aluminum for the frame and 1/4" HDPE for the insert panels. With the combination of the 2 materials, the size and function can be endless and I can modify the box as need be down the road.
Here's a screen shot of the CAD model.

Take 2.jpg

And here is a current progress shot as of today.

frame 2.jpg

JLee

Adventurer
I am intrigued by this storage system - I love the ability to create specific sizes...following on mud as well.

toygoose

Observer
I am intrigued by this storage system - I love the ability to create specific sizes...following on mud as well.

Thank you for following along.

I really like this product for its changeability. If I want a different configuration down the road, just change it up. Also, the bolt on ability of it is great.
I'll have some updates coming next week.

toygoose

Observer
Rear Storage Update

So after being busy with work and out of town for a bit, I was able to spend a little more time on the box over the weekend. I got the HDPE panels cut and slid into the channels of the t-slot aluminum. These are a pretty tight fit as long as you cut them large enough that they fully engage the t-slot. Had to re-cut a few...
Panels in Box.jpg

Next step was to get the fridge slide in place and mounted to the t-slots. The slide comes predrilled with several holes but, of course non lined up for my application, no worries. I drilled out 4 holes and got it mounted up with no trouble. I'm using the Dometic fridge slide that I scored from Expo East last year.
Box 2.jpg
Box 1.jpg

Next I started laying out the compressor and air tank, these should mount up nicely and I can start the plumbing of them next.
Box 4.jpg
Box 3.jpg

A little test fit in the back of the GX for good measure...
Box in GX.jpg

I'm waiting for some more connections to come in and I can get the small drawer finished up to go under the fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1