Coil Over Rear Shocks Gen2 Tacoma

millerfish

Adventurer
Has anyone tried running a coil-over rear shock to help the stock spring pack. I know the right thing to do is replace the springs but that is just not in the budget at the moment. I am looking at the Monroe 58628 Load Adjusting Shock Absorber. The specs look like it should work with the exception of it has a 12MM lower bushing and needs a 1/2IN. That should be no big issue reaming it out to 1/2. Also the larger outside diameter of the shock might have clearance issues?

Any thoughts??

37280 Monroe Stock Replacement
Compressed Bumper Stop No
Compressed Length 13.760"
Dust Shield No
Extended Bumper Stop Yes
Extended Hydraulic Lockout No
Extended Length 22.400"
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing & Sleeve Mount - 1/2 Sleeve ID X 1.1/4" Sleeve OAL
Parts Pack(s) P1134
Travel Length 8.640"
Upper Mounting Code Stem Mount - 2.3/8 Stem Length X 3/8"-16 Thread Pitch
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3634959&cc=3307209&jnid=443&jpid=6

58628 Monroe Load Assist
Compressed Bumper Stop No
Compressed Length 14.250"
Dust Shield Yes
Extended Bumper Stop No
Extended Hydraulic Lockout No
Extended Length 23.875"
Lower Mounting Code Loop Bushing & Sleeve Mount - 12MM Sleeve ID X 1.1/2 Sleeve OAL
Parts Pack(s) P1135
Spring (Rate) 60
Travel Length 9.625"
Upper Mounting Code Stem Mount - 2.3/8 Stem Length X 3/8"-16 Thread Pitch
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=60662&cc=1382756&jnid=511&jpid=97

Attachments

• 58628.JPG
    58628.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 36

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I thought about these when I had my Tundra- the V6 leaves (especially) were useless. While it isn't a performance shock, it would definitely help with the load. Advantage is they would be easy enough to swap for more performance minded shocks when you don't need the carrying capacity. The ride would probably be better than some rubber spring any day.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I've never heard anyone say they were happy with something like that. I don't see the rock auto price but Amazon shows almost 180 for a pair. Seems like a waste of $180. So you spend $180' for a cheap solution, then spend money again later to fix it right. You would be a lot better off with airbags or timbrens if you don't want to do the right thing and buy springs. The shock mounts are not designed to carry a load. The top is probably fine, but the lower mounts are absolutely not designed to carry weight.

Are you carrying a lot of weight or just have old worn out springs? You ought to be able to find a newer/used 4 leaf stock spring pack for pretty cheap on Craigslist.

millerfish

Adventurer
I agree the lower shock mount could be a weak point. But I don't think the stress would be that great. It really is not much of a spring. Pep boys has them for $88 I thought that was a pair but didn't see that was each. That does change things. The existing springs just don't even come close to working. The truck has less than 10k and with 2 adults and 2 kids in the truck a bumper with Swingout and a couple things in the bed it bottoms out on every bump. I have heard the AAL is also a poor solution. I just thought for very little efort it might help. I can't belive the cost of springs! Maybe f150 frankenspring is an option...

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Ive got a set on my Jeep. Stock springs are really soft. Stiffened the ride and raised it an inch or so. I say it's worth a shot.

millerfish

Adventurer
Upon further review. The priceing on these shocks are per pair. So $90 might be worth a try... Opposed to nearly a grand for an entire new rear set up.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Not a great picture but there is not much room between the shock and spring. And almost no room between the shock and axle.

steve103

Observer
Why when you have spent lots of money on a rear bumper and tire swing you are now looking to save money. New rear Leafs are not that much.

millerfish

Adventurer
Why when you have spent lots of money on a rear bumper and tire swing you are now looking to save money. New rear Leafs are not that much.

Not everyone has a money canon to shoot at their truck!. I buy things for the truck as I can afford them, I misjudged how much affect the bumper would have on the rear suspension. I don't have $700+ to do the rear suspension at this time. If I could get a do over I would do the suspension first...

AxleIke

Adventurer
700 bucks for leaf springs? Dang, that is really steep. Seems way too steep honestly. As others have said, the add a leaf would probably be a better choice if you need to stiffen up the rear end. Similar cost and less likely to break a mount. Also, from the picture posted, it looks like you may have a lot of trouble clearing the rear leaf spring, as stated. I'd get a measurement on those shocks before you buy them, and measure from the center of your shock out to the spring and see if they'll clear.

Alternatively, do you know of a local junk yard with your generation tacomas? You can likely grab a few helper leafs from the stock spring packs for very cheap, and all you'd need to source new would be a new center pin for the leaf pack as it would now be thicker.

If you go with the coil overs, you may also have some ride/handling issues, though that is just a guess. You will be adding a new sprung point to the frame, without removing the existing one, so you will have 2 points with one spring rate and a third with a different rate all on the same axle. That might be un-noticeable or it might be sketchy.

Though, as you point out, its only 90 bucks, which isn't a lot to burn if this doesn't work out. May be that you start the newest trend in overlanding: Dual suspension systems!

My vote would be add a leaf if you want tried and true. If you are feeling adventurous, blaze ahead! Report back.

Elk

Observer
Sent you a PM. I just parted ways with my 2nd gen and have an AAL set sitting in the garage. Don't do a hacked setup.

millerfish

Adventurer
I think you guys are right the AAL is a better way to go and still be low cash out lay. $77 + shipping should be around $100. It's just a bit more work...

ELK Thanks for your offer! I will be contacting you.

This is what I priced out doing the rear with OME springs. Now step up to Dever and the price goes way up.

Rear Suspension:
OME - 047R Rear Spring -2 @ 199.99 - 399.98
OME –Nitro charger Shock 2 @ 107.99 - 215.98
OME - Rear Drive Shaft Spacer 1 @ 13.00 - 13.00
OME - Spring Bushing Kit – 2 @ 31.00 - 62.00
OME - U-Bolt [4 required]4 @ 9.00 - 36.00
Ground Freight 1 @ 25.00 - 25.00
Total 751.96

Last edited:

KK6POV

Adventurer
Not everyone has a money canon to shoot at their truck!. I buy things for the truck as I can afford them, I misjudged how much affect the bumper would have on the rear suspension. I don't have $700+ to do the rear suspension at this time. If I could get a do over I would do the suspension first...

Rather than spend money on a temporary fix, save it until you can afford bigger/better leaf springs. IMHO even an AAL doesn't compare to a new leaf pack made for your truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1