CONFIRMED! Reliable sources state 2014 will be the last FJC Model year

Colonal Angus

Adventurer

Toyota, offer these body panels on the FJ/prado/4runner chassis. Is that too much to ask?

The problem with the FJC (I actually like the FJC) is it's a niche vehicle that Toyota built in a way in hopes to attract both buyers in and out of that niche. Very capable, great off road performance, very reliable...you have the offroad (third vehicle, adventure rig) crowds attention...why not make it removable top, removable doors with a classic but updated body?

Clutch

<---Pass
The problem with the FJC (I actually like the FJC) is it's a niche vehicle that Toyota built in a way in hopes to attract both buyers in and out of that niche. Very capable,

Problem with niche vehicles, people either love 'em or hate 'em. I tried to like the FJC...I can't, too fugly.

It is like they took the classic lines of the 40 series, and gave it bad plastic surgery. It has hints of the that classic styling, then you ask...good lord, what did you do to yourself!? ....and you used to be so good looking, what a shame. It is almost like it is trying too hard.

Some companies got the retro restyling right, the new Dodge Challenger is a good example, the Camaro is "OK"...Ford missed with the Mustang though.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Problem with niche vehicles, people either love 'em or hate 'em. I tried to like the FJC...I can't, too fugly.

It is like they took the classic lines of the 40 series, and gave it bad plastic surgery. It has hints of the that classic styling, then you ask...good lord, what did you do to yourself!? ....and you used to be so good looking, what a shame. It is almost like it is trying too hard.

Some companies got the retro restyling right, the new Dodge Challenger is a good example, the Camaro is "OK"...Ford missed with the Mustang though.

Agreed.

Clutch

<---Pass

:)

No wonder the JK stomped all over the FJC sales, it is still ************, both in looks and capability. And I am not even a Jeep guy...or maybe I am turning
into one, since Toyota keeps on missing the mark. Ya know the JK styling isn't too far off of the 40 series, with the squared off front fenders...you could just swap
in a FJ40 looking grill insert and perhaps a 40ish looking hood. hmmmm I need to photoshop that in when i get home from work. *evil laugh*

_DSC1668.jpg

sure it could use a V8 or a diesel from the factory, but still!

Toyota even went to Jonathan Ward for ideas for the FJC, and they still screwed it up. At around the 1:00 mark
you can here him talk about it. That white FJ43 in my earlier post is from one of his design studies.

Last edited:

magaw

Magaw
I was in the dealership two days ago getting our 4runner serviced. I told my salesman, if Toyota made the fjc in convertible that I would come and buy one from him. He said that there was talk of discontinuing them. We were talking about how they kind of missed the mark on them. I have to agree that a removable top and doors would have changed everything for the fjc. I have seen some killer set ups, the styling and off road ability seems fine to me, it's just lacking in a few small areas that could have really opened up that niche market. I own a jeep and a Toyota so no bias here. It blows my mind that none of the other car manufacturers can get it right either. No body is building a convertible 4x4... Except for jeep. It's hard to call it a niche market when you pass a jk every five minutes in traffic?

Ramjet

Explorer
blah, blah, blah. Toyota missed the mark blah blah blah.......Why don't all of you out there complaining about the looks get behind the wheel of one and see what you're missing. I'm proud of my FJ and will gladly take it anywhere that Jeep, Icon FJ44, 45, 43 etc... can go and come back with a smile and cash in my pocket. But, that's just me and every other FJC owner.

Clutch

<---Pass
blah, blah, blah. Toyota missed the mark blah blah blah.......Why don't all of you out there complaining about the looks get behind the wheel of one and see what you're missing. I'm proud of my FJ and will gladly take it anywhere that Jeep, Icon FJ44, 45, 43 etc... can go and come back with a smile and cash in my pocket. But, that's just me and every other FJC owner.

no need to get upset, if looks didn't matter we would all be driving boxes, plus beauty is in the eye of the beholder....you could be the plumpest, sweetest, best looking peach out there, and there is always going to be someone who hates peaches. There must be an awful lot that hate peaches, since Toyota is discontinuing the model. Apparently they did indeed miss the mark...

think you're missing the point with the Icon stuff, just would of been nice if Toyota produced the FJ with styling cues from them...rather than comparing the FJC directly to the Icons.

I have driven one, it is like sitting in a cave, not only did they miss on the exterior styling, the ergonomics on the interior are lack luster. Much rather have the 2D Prado which the FJC shares a the chassis with, at least the rear passengers have a huge window to peer out, instead of a port hole.

WatchCarOnline-toyota-prado-2012.jpg 131_1005_11+toyota_fj_cruiser_vs_jeep_jk_wrangler+FJ_interior.jpg

The dash is a bit toy-looking in the FJC, while the Prado is more professional.

2007-toyota-fj-cruiser-interior-1-lg.jpg 163_0909_10z+2010_toyota_land_cruiser_prado+interior_view.jpg

What is the point of buying a novelty vehicle if you can't stand to look at it? It must move the soul as well as the body.

Last edited:

xCSx

Adventurer
the FJ's that are a single color are the best looking. Especially the white and army green ones.

I will have an FJ one day most likely, the toyota reliability can't be beat.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Toyota, offer these body panels on the FJ/prado/4runner chassis. Is that too much to ask?

Yes. Yes it is. Way too much.

Remember, Toyota isn't in business to make anybody happy except its shareholders. If Toyota could make money selling FJ-40 lookalikes, they would, but they can't because there aren't enough people out there who would lay down the $40-$50k it would cost to buy one new.

Having said that, for about the cost of a new FJC, you could go out and buy an old 40 or 55 and drop in a modern drivetrain.

The dash is a bit toy-looking in the FJC, while the Prado is more professional.

I guess don't quite get the Prado love. Had a Prado in Kuwait, it was OK but nothing spectacular. I thought the interior was quite cramped compared to similar sized vehicles.

Of course, if you really want a Prado, you could certainly get one, though not a 2 door. The fact that the Prado is called the Lexus GX (460/470) in the US doesn't mean it's not a Prado.

Personally, I think the 460 is butt-fugly, as is the 200 series LC but that's just, like, my opinion, man, so take it for what it's worth. :D

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Removable Tops...

Several of you have said "they should have made the FJC with a removable top" or "Jeep makes a vehicle with a removable top, why doesn't anyone else?"

There's no better example of the phenomenon of "cognitive dissonance" with regard to vehicle design than removable tops. Removable tops are one of those things that people say they like, but that in reality, they don't.

The original military jeeps and trucks had removable or collapsible tops for very practical reasons: It allowed them to acheive a lower silhouette which made them easier to conceal in battle. It also took up less room when transporting them by ship. That's one of the reasons, in fact, that the hard-top Carryall was discontinued in 1944 in favor of the soft-top Weapons Carrier - because the weapons carrier could do everything the Carryall could do, but it was smaller, lighter, easier to ship and had a lower silhouette.

Post-WWII, almost all of the early SUVs had removable tops: Not just Jeeps, but also Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, Scouts, Broncos, Jeep Commandos, the original Chevy Blazer, the Dodge Ramcharger and its badge-engineered stable mate the Plymouth Trail Duster, and so on. Yes, there were a few hard-tops, the Suburban, the Dodge Town Wagon, the Jeep Utility Wagon, and some others, but most of the early SUVs took their design cues from the Jeep: 2 doors, soft top, and often a fold down windshield.

The problem with this is that from a manufacturers standpoint, engineering a removable top means you have to design two completely independent parts: The body tub itself and a separate top, each of which has to be structurally sound. You also have to design the mechanism to mate the two together and since most of these removable top vehicles also had an optional soft top, you had to design that as well. You have to consider things like how much wind noise will be generated from the junction between the removable top and the body, and other factors like flexing between the body and the top and what that will do to each part.

Furthermore, by the 1970's, there were new laws requiring vehicles to meet certain crash standards, which also had to be incorporated into the removable top.

My point here is that designing these vehicles to have removable tops added a measurable amount to the cost of designing and making the vehicle.

And here's the thing: Back then, it was actually very rare that anybody removed their removable tops! I remember this from my own childhood - I can probably count on one hand the number of Broncos, Blazers, Scouts or Commandos I saw where the owners actually took the time to unbolt the heavy metal or fiberglass top, lift it off, and then find someplace to store it. Most of them simply left the hard top on.

In fact, from 1983 to 1985, I owned a 1971 Blazer with a removable fiberglass top. Never took the top off because (a) it was heavy, (b) then I would have to find someplace to store it and (c) then I would have to find some way to keep from getting wet in the rain (and it's not like I had extra $$ to spare on a soft top.)

I even know people today with hard top YJ or TJ jeeps who have never taken their tops off because it's too much of a PITA (IMO one of the genius ideas on the JK was that they made a modular top that can be taken off in pieces, making it much easier to do.)

It's actually kind of funny to me that back in the days when almost every 2 door SUV had a removable top, people almost never took them off, whereas nowadays, you see lots of Broncos, Blazers, etc, with the tops off. But I attribute that to the fact that these vehicles have moved from the "mainstream" into the "collector" or "enthusiast" market where there's much more interest in having something unique or special. Back when the Blazer was just the truck that Dad drove to work, he wouldn't want to take the top off - someone might steal his briefcase or a thunderstorm might soak his freshly pressed suit!

I know I've said it before, but those of us who like these rugged, simple, spartan vehicles are a tiny, tiny fraction of the buying public.

And in my case in particular, since I only buy used, a manufacturer would have to be pretty stupid to cater to my tastes (even though I'm on Toyota no. 4, the Toyota Motor Company hasn't seen a dime of my money since 1985.)

I think the Icon trucks are cool, too. Not that I could ever afford one, but an interesting design.

As for the FJC, there is a niche market there - Nissan appeals to it as well with the Xterra - but Toyota has obviously figured out that they can appeal to that market with other vehicles - probably the DC Tacoma and the Trail Edition 4runner. Having fewer platforms to service makes economic sense to me.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Holy smokes, Martinjmpr...good posts. Except for the butt-fuggly GX460 part. I like that styling a lot. I was very close to getting a 460 but couldn't get the numbers to work.

Last edited:

eli

Observer
Yup my FJ has been a bit of a compromise but I have loved every minute of it. When that time comes it's either a newer turbo diesel Toyota or Ill do my best to source a diesel conversion into my well used Fj if at all possible ,)

Clutch

<---Pass
I guess don't quite get the Prado love. Had a Prado in Kuwait, it was OK but nothing spectacular. I thought the interior was quite cramped compared to similar sized vehicles.

Of course, if you really want a Prado, you could certainly get one, though not a 2 door. The fact that the Prado is called the Lexus GX (460/470) in the US doesn't mean it's not a Prado.

Personally, I think the 460 is butt-fugly, as is the 200 series LC but that's just, like, my opinion, man, so take it for what it's worth. :D

Don't really "love" the 2D Prado...think it is way more practical than the FJC, bigger windows, nice slopping hood are a couple things. If we are comparing apples to apples, and how capable the FJC is. That and the styling it isn't trying to be something it is not. The FJC looks like celebrity plastic surgery that has gone horribly wrong. If I was giving the choice between the two, the Prado would win. Not saying the 2D Prado is the pick of the litter either... ;) If Toyota offered the HZJ78, and had a choice between the 3, well that would be a no brainer.

LC70short.jpg

While the 4D Prado isn't my favorite vehicle, I do like it over the FJC. Yes, I do know the Lexus 460/470 is our version, have quiet a few clients that own them,
while not really into the lux version, they sure do drive nice.

Would be cool if we got the stripped down diesel version.

bd6309341a.jpg

I want a 70 series..... I hope Scott is right about globalization. A nice diesel 70 series wagon with a factory snorkel in dark red....

Word is, the Toyota is discontinuing the 70 series as well.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/201...andcruiser/toyota-to-kill-off-70-series-31309

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
I take my 40 top off every summer, and put it back on every winter. With Quik Hinges for the doors, it's faster and easier than ever.

IMO the two biggest reasons manufacturers (other than Fiat) don't do removable tops is safety (as Martinjmpr already mentioned) and noise/heat/cold as the removable tops would be unusably heavy if they were insulated like fixed truck cabins. Not many people nowadays would put up with it, they're too spoiled by quiet, cool, and warm modern cars and trucks. As has already been said, no matter how much folks on this forum like them, two-door removable-top 4WD vehicles are a miniscule niche in the new car/truck market of today and Fiat/Chrysler already has the lion's share of it captured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1