conqueror compact

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yes please do tell before I take the plunge
He's just out on a limb and over-extended; needs them gone.
He's a nice guy, beautiful family, likes to camp. I have absolutely no complaints about how my purchase went.

Just wish my timing had been better. I got a discount, but nothing close to the 40 or 50% fire sale prices we're seeing now.

They were all brought here at the end of 2002 and beginning of 2003; when they are titled, they are considered of the present model year (so mine is a 2008 model, yours will be a 2009). The rubber is of 2002 vintage but not showing any signs of dry rot; the tires are not part of any of the Firestone recall nonsense (at least mine weren't). Repack the bearings before a trip if Dean hasn't done so yet; the grease is old and inadequate.
Aside from that, they are very stout trailers with great clearance. The tents are very heavy-duty.

I added some shelves and lash points to mine; that's about it. I have future mods planned including an awning idea that Dendy and I brainstormed but I never find the time --- cause I keep using the trailer...

action shots of shelves, etc.
100_0856.jpg

Copyof100_1268.jpg

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
i bought a base camp model from him yesterday. $5200.00 ill use it behind my jeep in NY, couldnt resist that. he said he still has more base camps and compacts. the compacts are $5000.00

sundaypunch

Observer
I'm assuming that's why he has them on Ebay. ;)

These have been on ebay several times over the past year. If you look in some of the other Conqueror threads they reference these ebay auctions.

He had a hard time selling them in good economic times. If I was sitting on a bunch of them I would be doing everything possible to get them sold. It's not going to get any easier for him, even at these lower prices.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If it's hard to sell a Conqueror for $5K, just think how it will be for AT and Tentrax as the dollar gets softer. Add a few farkles to those trailers and you're passing $15K very quickly...

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Man, I really wish it was next year. lol
I'd love to get one of these trailers at this price, just have no where to store it at all.

Consider the price -- a new RTT is around $2000.00 alone.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
It wasn't in a mood to fight with the DMV, especially considering the lights are not DOT spec (again, not a big deal, but if they wanted to split hairs, I would have to upgrade them).

You know that's very disappointing. Anyone who manufactures or imports trailers agrees to abide by a set of laws, one of them being lighting regulations.

In the case of an imported trailer the Agent of Record has a legal obligation to make sure that any trailer they sell meets all of these regulations.

In the US the enforcement is one the rear end, so to speak. If say you get rear ended and the accident results in major injury or a fatality the DOT and NHTSA will investigate and bring charges against the importer for, in this case non-compliant rear lights.

So it's really a case of negligence, which unfortunately tarnishes the reputation of all manufacturers and importers.

The remedy is easy, the importer should replace the lights with DOT certified replacements to avoid any legal action from owners and regulatory bodies.

(Sorry, but safety and meeting or exceeding mandatory regulations is a pet peeve of mine. Rant off).

Martyn

What's even more disappointing is the fact that the DMV here in AZ is not consistant. 2 Identical conquerors delivered to me, the other gentleman who bought one was able to register as a 2008, mine a 2002. Some of the government inspectors being paid to uphold the rules do not care much about the details apparently. Maybe that's where gov budget cuts should occur instead of Parks & Rec, National Parks, and Land Management Agencies : )

Yes at the State level enforcement is patchy, but these are Federal Regulations.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Well, mine is registered in Georgia as a 2008 and I just snipped the wires to the amber lights and rigged the reds as stop/turn. I'll replace the ambers with reds and either make them turns or running. Maybe LED... They're just standard rubber mount lights that you can get in any truck stop.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Guys:

Let's make sure everyone is on the same page of the hymnal here.

1) These trailers were imported as parts and assembled here. Hence, they would be titled as 2009 models now when you register them. Only Jeff had the issue with titling as a 2002 model.

2) The distributorship is owned by Dean and his family. They also own Saturn of Atlanta (a GM dealership ... if that says anything about the situation!). They are straight up folks. He is a good old Presbyterian College graduate and does what he says (albeit slow sometimes ... always does what he says).

3) Since being a GM dealer right now is like hell on earth, ... they have lost their lease on the warehouse where the trailers are stored. He has no choice but to shed the trailers.
So, the deals are there for the taking. ALL of these trailers are new and un-used (no wear or tear or uv to worry about). With the exception of a couple that they used for demos (but you simply have to ask if you would get a demo model or not, but I really think he has sold all the demo units - cept maybe the one he uses for his own personal use).

4) There is really nothing NON-DOT compliant on these trailers. Mine worked great on my Defender 90 and a Land Rover Discovery Series II, but I did have issues on my Defender 110, which leads me to believe it is my truck ... since I had no problems on the other trucks. The only caveat is that the plug on the trailer is the Hella Euro spec (standard on all land rovers). The plug is a direct plug in on the Land Rover and is the round plug type with round pins (not the round plug with blade style pins). IF you own a truck that will not take a Hella plug, you can simply (for little money) run new wiring harness with the standard U-haul type 4 pin.

5) If you have ever wanted a trailer at a basement bargain price, ... GET ONE NOW!!! If you have any questions about the trailers, ... shoot me an e-mail at nashvillerover@comcast.net

6) Only Caveat* to buying a Conqueror Compact or Base Camp, ... you'll want to spend way too much time camping!

* It is important to point out that once the trailers are gone, that Dean will be out of the trailer business. There would be no service on them down the road, however ... these trailers are built for the South African Military, and are almost bomb proof. There are some areas for improvement on them, but I have enjoyed doing upgrades and mods myself.

Thanks for listening.

Dendy

ps: Here is a pic of my rig.

Attachments

• DendysRig.jpg
    DendysRig.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

Martyn

1) These trailers were imported as parts and assembled here. Hence, they would be titled as 2009 models now when you register them. Only Jeff had the issue with titling as a 2002 model.

Two issues here.

Every trailer is issued a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (MCO) by the manufacturer. It container the details of the trailer including the VIN and date of manufacture. So a trailer manufactured in 2002 will have that date on the MCO no matter when it is registered at the State level. The MCO is the trailers birth certificate.

It only matters if the trailers were imported as parts and assembled here in the USA if the importer is a registered assembler. As a registered assembler they can issue VIN's and MCO's. I doubt this is the case as there are very few assemblers in the USA.

1)4) There is really nothing NON-DOT compliant on these trailers. ........

I'm sorry but I disagree. You can't pick and choose between the regulations set out by the Federal Government and say yes I'll comply with the regulations on couplers (SAE-J684) but not on lights(FMVSS/CMVSS 108).

If the trailers are imported and sold in the USA with non compliant lights they are out of compliance. This may have been an oversight on the part of the importer, and I'm not questioning their integrity on this point, but ignorance of a regulation is not an excuse.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I hope I did the right thing.

I just send Dean the deposit, got a small loan and scheduled vacation for later this month to drive down and pick up my new Compact.... I did ask him to have a normal US plug and lights on the trailer since I am dragging it 900 miles home. I am excited or scared not sure which ; )

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Be excited, but...check all your bolts and make sure they are tight, especially the coupler & lug nuts. Repack your wheel bearings and buy a new set just to be safe. One of the other Conqueror Owners posted the bearing numbers. Be straight with your insurance agent and copy all your docs before you submit them to the DMV.

Trailer camping is definately a whole new world.
You'll have to dig up my old thread in the trailer section for bearing numbers.
Do repack the grease and you should be okay though. I do carry a spare set...

All my nuts/bolts are tight, it leaks a little in a very heavy rain while towing. Battery has lasted several 3-day weekends on overnite charge at home.
I like it a whole lot.
$47/year for RV insurance; contents covered under home-owners policy.

I'm a little sad that I wasn't offered a kick-back to be a mouthpiece... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1