Considering 05 SR5 4Runner

mmm...beer

Found a great deal on an 05 4Runner V6 SR5 4x4. Currently drive a 16 Grand Cherokee that I’m afraid to get dirty (i hate the 8 spd transmission). Looking to trade it in and drop my debt.

What should I be looking for?
How is the aftermarket support (bumper, sliders, skids, lift,etc...)?
What issues creep up around 80k miles?

Talk me into it! I live in Cleveland and run out west at least twice a year. I do a bit of camping and there’s an off-road park near by I can hit up.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4runnerteq

Explorer
Aftermarket support is pretty good. Above all, make sure it engages 4wd properly AND 4wd low. Transfer case issues are not uncommon. Other than that, pretty trouble free.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
In Ohio I'd crawl under and make sure the frame is still solid and rust free. The Tacoma is worse about frame rot but it's not unheard of with 4Runners, too.

Otherwise just need oil changes and gasoline in an 80K 4Runner. Do you know if it's a V6 or V8? Like @4runnerteq says, good aftermarket to build it pretty much as much as you want.

Dalko43

Explorer
I’m not aware of any major faults with the 1gr-fe v6 at the 80k mileage mark.

Check the factory manual for recommended maintenance intervals and check to see if prior owners adhered to it.

Other than that, check to see how bad the rust is.

The 4th gen 4Runner is a solid platform, one that is often overlooked.

mmm...beer

It is a V6.

There is typical Ohio surface rust on the rear axle and a few spots in frame rails. It looks solid though. Is there an easy way to tell if the frame is rusted through without taking a dead blow hammer to it? I will dig deeper when I look at it again Monday. The body is in great shape... no rot in the fenders or rocker panels. Looks like P.O. took good care to wash regularly after our salty winters.

I will also remember to engage 4wd and make sure it shifts into low range. Forgot to do that Thursday during the test drive.

Heading back out to look again on Monday.

Appreciate the replies.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I had an 05 sr5 I regret selling everyday. It was super reliable and and great off road. I put fi cruiser springs on it and I actually achieved a 1.5” lift from that.

Drunner

Make sure you test the center diff lock along with 4-low. If neither one of those engage that could signal an issue with the transfer case. Sometimes it's just a stiff gear in the actuator, sometimes the shift rods are stuck, and sometimes you can get them both to free up by trying enough times. I've been running my 4th gen hard for the last 3 years and short of destroying my transfer case and rear gears (likely a fluke accident, I don't know it's history prior to 88k) she's been great.

mmm...beer

Went back to look at it closer last night. Rust flaking off of the frame. The front skid plate was rusted through. Lots of perforations along spring supports and braces. I passed. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks everyone for the replies. You’re not as bad as the jeep guys say you are.

MightyP

Observer
I know you passed on that 4th Gen 4runner, but they really are a solid platform, if you find another one. I have 170k miles on my '07 and the biggest maintenance job (other than the suspension, which I wanted to do) has been the radiator. At about 165k miles, I noticed my radiator had pink crusties. Swapped it and did the water pump while I was in there. Under $250 and a few hours of work. I've swapped a couple idler pulleys too, but those aren't really even worth mentioning.

Attachments

• 20180415_160919~2a.jpg
    20180415_160919~2a.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design