Convince me to get rid of my 4Runner for a Land Cruiser.

Stick Figure

Observer
Funny, I'm moving down in size from a 100 and have been looking at 4Runners and Toyota pickups......
If only you were closer, we could do a swap! lol

had me wondering the actual differences, from Toyota.com...

That's really interesting. Of course I am comparing a 2000 4Runner to the LC's. I know outside dimensions are about the same as the 60, and I know the 80 is much wider inside which would keep us from fighting over the center console as often. But I agree if you're thinking of getting a 200 you have to ask what you are really getting over the 4Runner for your needs.

You should have both!

Shoot me your address so I know where to send that extra payment book! lol Trust me if I had more space I would have drug "home" a 60 or 80 project by now. As it is space in San Jose is ridiculously expensive, I have 6 cars and my g/f has 2. Most of these are stored at the shop space I rent just to have room to play with cars, because I couldn't afford to rent a house here large enough to hold all my crap.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
4 yrs with a 4runner followed by 7 yrs with a very nice LC. And now a Sequoia since 2011. Hands down the LC. As my shopping assistant put it. You want a 60k rig for 10k or do you want a 25k rig aka 4runner for 15k?
The LC is on a whole different playing field. Oh and far far superior BayArea highway queen. Lots of original owner LCs to be had in the BayArea.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I'd trade my 4runner for a Land Cruiser, any takers? :smiley_drive:

I picked up the 4runner because it was relatively cheap, but I was checking for LC's around the same vintage as well. But who is to say if I can sell it in some years and break even, I might take the cash and put it on a 100 series to tinker on a while.

Flhtruss

Observer
Uhh there both Toyota's and you wouldn't ask people to help you to get off the fence if you didn't want the LC.
Russ��

umpqua

Observer
I've had a 62 for 20+ years and love it! My thought though is to keep the 4Runner. Buy a Baroud roof tent. If you go the LC route you'll probably end up with more gear and end up where you are now. Less is more. Stick with what you have and know and spend the money on traveling.

I considered a LC, but ended up going with a T100 for my current rig.
I chose to go with a pickup over an SUV because I consider it a more versatile base for a camping build. You could go with a camper shell and a similar setup to what you have in your runner, but with more head room or you could do a slide in camper that you only drive around with when your going on an adventure, or anything in between. The sky's the limit, because there's no roof.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I liked the LC because you could park it in tight SF parking spots. It fit our curb between driveways at our place in SF. He's in the BayArea parking ability might retain a high value depending on where he lives and typically goes. I have more room today and would really like a midsized pickup. Width being a bigger issue than length where we are now. But many DD bayarea locations 180ish inches long is about ideal. 200inches down right sucks parking big time.

AK.xplorer

Observer
I owned a 2000 4 runner with a five speed manual with the boring mini van engine. Blah.
There is nothing unique about them, they are boring to drive, and limited with space.

I applaud your future move to the 60 series.

One of your best bets, is to keep track of Canadian classified lists for an HJ-61. I've driven or owned all the 60 series.

Right hand drive takes no time to get used to, shifting gears with your left hand. The one I drove last year was a high roof model, front and rear winches, old man emu suspension, full floating rear end, intercooled, turbocharged. This cruiser was down-right manly.

Can't beat a 12 h-t, inter-cooled, and mated to an h55. It was by far, the most fun to drive Toyota I've ever been in. With the Canadian dollar so low, I guarantee you'll find one for under 6 grand american.

Heres a good one, start negotiating with this clown, he wants to much at roughly $10,000 American, it has some goodies:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...er/1229361789?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Looks like he lowered the price on craigslist bc to about $9000 American:
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5948621649.html
I bet if you flashed 6 grand american in his face, he'd bite.

I would NEVER buy 3fe powered or 2f powered 60 series, knowing that I can get a 5 speed manual with a 12-ht for chump change, without having to spend a bunch of stupid money doing conversions. I get a chuckle over a guy who spends more money on a five speed conversion and that silly "2FE", than what you spend on a used hj-61

Last edited:

AK.xplorer

Observer
no need in chasing some low miles rust free 60 series unicorn.

If you're a 60 series buff, eventually you'll be welding patch panels, you'll be firing up the hvlp gun. if you're a typical millennial, you'll be paying someone else to do this.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design