Cooking with tin foil

S

Scenic WonderRunner

So many answers so little time!

I've used tin foil to make Baked Potatoes. Just wrap them up good and set them next to the fire before you start your steaks!

YUM!

You can Also cook "Corn on da Cob" ,by leaving the Leaves ON. Soaking them in water first. And letting them steam over the heat/flame! This gives a wonderful earthy flavor to the corn! The best corn you will have Ever Tasted! I'm Not Kidding! NO Tin Foil Needed! Save da foil!:beer:

(wow! no dots! seems so empty! missing something!)

Last edited by a moderator:

RoundOut

Explorer
Have you ever seen "silver turtles"? When my son was in Cub Scouts and even now in Boy Scouts, we would/they will make silver turtles. Essentially, pre-cook your chicken, beef, etc at the house. Prepare desired veggies such as carrots, corn, peas, potatoes, etc. Shred desired cheeses. Put desired meat, veggies, cheeses along with lots of butter in the heavy duty foil and seal as best as one can. Write your name on the top with a Marks-a-Lot and toss on the fire. Best on the hot coals, not the open flames. Wait about 10-15 minutes and it will be done.

Other variations include ramen noodles or rice, along with the meat, veggies, etc.

Enjoy!

Ireland

Adventurer
This would have been my first answer too, especially the corn....

Scenic WonderRunner said:
So many answers so little time!

I've used tin foil to make Baked Potatoes. Just wrap them up good and set them next to the fire before you start your steaks!

YUM!

You can Also cook "Corn on da Cob" ,by leaving the Leaves ON. Soaking them in water first. And letting them steam over the heat/flame! This gives a wonderful earthy flavor to the corn! The best corn you will have Ever Tasted! I'm Not Kidding! NO Tin Foil Needed! Save da foil!:beer:

(wow! no dots! seems so empty! missing something!)

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Cooking in foil is very common in my neck of the woods.
Corn, potatoes, onions just like that. In foil. Straight in the coals. Sweetpotato, butternut squash (filled with spinach), gemsquash, mushrooms, absolutely anything, just add some butter and herbs of choice and wrap it up.

Not sure if you get all of the above veggies in the US but you get the general idea. cook anything!

Veggies are the best part of any braai (barbeque)

Speaker

Adventurer
On a river trip recently one of the group showed us a new dessert made in tin foil.

Take an apple, core the apple, put RedHots candies in the core, put the apple in tin foil, place in the fire for some time.

When you take it out the red hots should be melted, and you will have a delicious cinnamon flavored apple dessert.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I toss a package of baby carrots, baby potatoes, One yam, cut up into 1" chucks, a couple coarsely chopped onions, a peeled clove of garlic, a 1/4 lb stick of butter and half a can of beer in an oven bag and then roll it up so it makes about a foot long log about 4" in diameter. I roll the whole thing in foil and toss it on the coals. It takes 30-60 minutes and you have the perfect accompaniment to deep fried turkey or steaks.

spunky2268

Adventurer
Speaker said:
On a river trip recently one of the group showed us a new dessert made in tin foil.

Take an apple, core the apple, put RedHots candies in the core, put the apple in tin foil, place in the fire for some time.

When you take it out the red hots should be melted, and you will have a delicious cinnamon flavored apple dessert.

Try this with Snickers bits instead of Red Hots.

TheGillz

Explorer
Its a bit of tradition for me to pre make breakfast borritos (pots obrien/eggs/basque chorizo/cheese) and then wrap in parchment paper then tin foil, and save for the last breakfast of the trip.

Works great, and there is no cleanup so we can start packing up the night before. Plus it tastes good!!

BruceNP

Baby back ribs are really easy with foil wrap.

Thin out your fav bbq sauce with a bit of water, put a decent rub on the ribs, slather in the sauce, wrap and seal well and turn about every 5 min. Takes about 30 minutes.

Skylinerider

Adventurer
I do tinfoil dinners every time i'm out on the trail. My favorite is a couple hamburger patties, potato slices, jalapenos, and mushrooms. throw it on the fire and turn it over after a few minutes. Chicken is also agreat thing to cook in foil. I like to add some cream of mushroom soup and lots of sliced mushrooms to it. you really don't have to worry about over cooking since all the moisture stays with the food.

Photog

Explorer
These recipies sound great!

The only one I have ever done is the baked potato, or baked onion (butter in the core).

By the way, where do you folks find tin foil? All I can find is aluminum foil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1