Costa Rica and back, 7 months on the road DONE!

4cruzer

Adventurer
SOAZ, that's a hell of a compliment, thanks.
Cab, I'm good (old) friends with Evan, I see you two have been cruising around DV, luckies...
time now to take the runner (drives like a rocket comparing) out for some CA wheeling... Evan?

thecriscokid

Explorer
Read the blog, looks like some nice surf!
After seeing Dan Wozniak's Siestas & Olas too many times, I feel the need drive a Suburban down south too.
I just don't think it would be right to take anything else.

Super Doody

Explorer
my eyes are blurry from reading your blog...awesome trip man. Sounds like it was a good run of souths. BTW what did you do with your pup when you were in hotels ?

4cruzer

Adventurer
the truck is still not yet sold, but we haven't exactly been trying. It's a great truck and has proven its salt, but it'll need a good bit of work to prove its salt again. Crisco, I'd take a toyota next time, for sure (but I'm biased)..
Doody, we became good at 'Anne Franking' the dog into rooms and hiding her when we needed to. It worked all over, except in a few spots where we were up front (and nice) and they let us slide.... she went through a lot.. I wouldn't do it again without her.
Off to the sierras
Cheers GB

4cruzer

Adventurer
ISB, you should have what the call an International Health Certificate to bring your pet down there. If your vet says that document doesn't exist, like mine did, he is wrong, as the border agent for entry into Belize showed me a bunch of them. I had to pay $50 to get her in there because I didn't have that form. What I did have was good enough in every other country, and that was a dated sheet from the vet's office showing all the vaccinations she got before we left. In my experience, if they ask about the dog at all, they just want to see some paper and not much else, but if I did it again, I'd get that certificate. And make tons of copies..

Super Doody

Explorer
ISB, you should have what the call an International Health Certificate to bring your pet down there. If your vet says that document doesn't exist, like mine did, he is wrong, as the border agent for entry into Belize showed me a bunch of them. I had to pay $50 to get her in there because I didn't have that form. What I did have was good enough in every other country, and that was a dated sheet from the vet's office showing all the vaccinations she got before we left. In my experience, if they ask about the dog at all, they just want to see some paper and not much else, but if I did it again, I'd get that certificate. And make tons of copies..

Its awesome that you were able to bring you pup for such a long trip. I know it can be a hassle esp if you send a lot of water but there is just something about having a loyal dog by your side while traveling. Any other hints or advice about traveling with a dog? Any aggressive local dog issues?

rustyjames

Observer
Sounds like an awesome trip, and the pics are great. I hit Costa Rica last year in a Land Rover 110, Tamarindo,Jaco,Playa Negra,etc. Your trip inspires me to get back out there!!! Thanks for the report.

BulletHead

Adventurer
awsome pics and writeup, brings back memories from my Costa Rica and Panama trip 3yrs ago. my fav spot in Costa Rica was Volcan Arenal, Puerto Jimenez, Parque Nacional Corcovado and in Panama, really enjoyed the Bocas del Toro islands.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
great blog...I read most all of it and have it bookmarked!

I am planning a very similar trip only in my 04 Taco. Heading on down in December and don't need to be back till April 1st. Just be me, the dog, surf boards, kayak and fishing gear. So your blog helps me a lot! :sombrero:

Can't find anyone to go with me, just plan to make friends along the way....

bac0701

Observer
very cool read a few pages im going to surf playa negra at the end of october. going out alone, any tips for me how did you like it there ? what was the crowd like ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1