Current GEN 2.5 Owner/ Bought another 2.5 1998 , Winter Package" What to do with it ?

dieseltechJay

Observer
Keep trying. If you're pulling plugs I'd check the compression while you're at it. If you don't have a set of gauges they can be rented at most chain auto parts retailers. Also, check the oil quality and check for thermal breakdown. Turning over slowly could be due to oil coking from overheating, starter on it's way out, or battery crapping out. Hard to say how badly it overheated with him trying to throw a radiator at it.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Looks super clean, unless you get it up and running quickly or you are looking for a hobby I would probably pull all the clean parts you want for yours plus some spares and part the rest out.

justcuz

Explorer
If he overheated it he may have lost a head gasket. It may have filled a cylinder or 2 with water. How does the oil look?
I would pull the plugs and try to crank it over. Water is incompressible and can bend your rods if you try to crank it over with water in the cylinders.
If it has water in the cylinders, crank it over to push it out, then dump some light oil like ATF or Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders. Not much, a tablespoon or two will work fine. I use a cheap turkey baster for this. If the head gaskets are bad, compression test it, you have to pull it apart anyway so you will be able to check out the pistons and cylinders.
If the engine is ruined, I would strip parts from it to use on your other one.
I have always wondered what a Montero with a 3.8 or a 4.3 a 4L60E and an NP 241 would be like. The 3.8 was offered with a supercharger too! Or maybe a 4.9 Caddy V8 or a NorthStar engine. You can rebuild the 4L60E to 4L65E Corvette specs and have a bulletproof transmission. I would lean heavily toward the 3.8 or 4.3 since they are plentiful and cheap and both were used in RWD applications.
You would have the simplicity of the American running gear with the Mitsubishi body and chassis. Win/Win in my opinion.
What side does the Montero front driveshaft enter the pumpkin, driver or passenger side? NP 241's can be had either way.
Misread the put-put, so you actually got it to run a bit? Bad head gasket will still cause low compression and poor running.

Last edited:

Eric M

Adventurer
Looks super clean, unless you get it up and running quickly or you are looking for a hobby I would probably pull all the clean parts you want for yours plus some spares and part the rest out.

I wouldn't want to waste a clean car like that when new engine could save it, at the very worst. But I'm speaking from an East Coast perspective where we have very little cars left that are in any decent shape.

mk75

Adventurer
Yeah I'm hoping that I can get it running by the end of the week. My Daily Montero I chased my tail on and pretty much replaced all from the firewall forward and have paid more than several thousand to get it to the point its at now.

However I would not hesitate to drive my Green Montero south and keep going. Today with better light I hope to make better progress. Once again I hope that this engine is not blown.

mk75

Adventurer
Expo ,

Update . Pulled the top of the plenum to get to the 3 spark plugs on the left. I had to chip out more or less. The wires had melted to the top of the plug. Got all three out. The plugs are fowled and burned and seems that water has mixed with gas when i ran my hand around the screw of the plug.

After trying to crank it water is coming out the exhaust at all bolted connection points from the manifolds back.

Water spitting out the top of the radiator.

I'm thinking blown head gasket for starters.

So with this motor having 310000 on the original motor its my belief this motor is tired. My only option is yard the original motor and do a swap. Used motor , re-manufactured ?? I know from my last swap it was $$$$ . Can't do a swap in the complex I live in. I would either have to have it towed and worked at a buddies house or pay someone to do the swap. I miss living in Montana where I knew others that worked on there cars and had the space. I have no Garage at the moment . Looking for a house to rent.

Looking like a parts truck more and more. Unless I can find a running motor for a good price .

I'm in Oregon is anyone has a lead on a running motor.

Suggestions and Comments...

greg409

Expo ,

Update . Pulled the top of the plenum to get to the 3 spark plugs on the left. I had to chip out more or less. The wires had melted to the top of the plug. Got all three out. The plugs are fowled and burned and seems that water has mixed with gas when i ran my hand around the screw of the plug.

After trying to crank it water is coming out the exhaust at all bolted connection points from the manifolds back.

Water spitting out the top of the radiator.

I'm thinking blown head gasket for starters.

So with this motor having 310000 on the original motor its my belief this motor is tired. My only option is yard the original motor and do a swap. Used motor , re-manufactured ?? I know from my last swap it was $$$$ . Can't do a swap in the complex I live in. I would either have to have it towed and worked at a buddies house or pay someone to do the swap. I miss living in Montana where I knew others that worked on there cars and had the space. I have no Garage at the moment . Looking for a house to rent.

Looking like a parts truck more and more. Unless I can find a running motor for a good price .

I'm in Oregon is anyone has a lead on a running motor.

Suggestions and Comments...

I almost want to cry,

Since you obviously have tools and some skills, Why not pull the heads & have them only resurfaced (if the valves look ok), new valve seals, upper gasket set.

You can do that in your complex w/o upsetting the curtain peepers since the hood will be shut @ nite?

You may end up with a decent #2 driver, or at least sellable truck

luck,greg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As clean as that is you had better not part it out, either put a good used or new engine in it or sell it whole to someone who can. It would cost me about $600 in diesel to go pick this up, but if it needs saving I just may do that.

mk75

Adventurer
Calling around for motor options today. Then finish pulling the motor to the heads and see how bad everything really is and then make some choices. Almost have the wife convinced that we should save this and put several thousands into a Montero that is straight and clean. We have been talking for sometime about a pickup "tacoma or gently used JDM Hilux early 90's imported from Japan. We really do need a pickup. Trailers work great for most things but not all.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
mk75,
Dang! I'm wrapping up the same job on my Montero's identical twin sister. I'm about to button the up the remaining parts and accessories on a 3.0L Raider. I had to redo the cylinder head gaskets on that engine. I'm almost done.

I know this may not seem reasonable, but what about taking your engine for your Montero and swapping it over to this one? Highly unlikely.

Also, one of the Facebook guys was trying to sell his Montero in Tacoma. It had a good engine but the rest of the vehicle needed some love. I think I saw it on Craigslist last for $1000.00. I don't know if he still has the rig or not.

If you decide that is a way you want to go, we can discuss splitting the cost of a Donor Vehicle because I'll also need to do the SR Axle Swap in my Raider. As well as some other odds and ends.

mk75

Adventurer
So many thanks to JAY AYALA for coming out today and helping me out with tearing this down to the heads. We almost got it all the way down to the heads. However I need to break a bolt loose that does not want to come loose after the exhaust manifold and then left should come free.

A mouse decided to build a home in the valley. Pictures to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1