Custom 'Roof Rack' for Tacoma -

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Well, I have cast about here in search of ideas to solve some limitation in storage for my Tacoma. Keep in mind that, although it is a pickup, the bed / topper area is reserved for Max and something had to be done to extend the range / capabilities of our trips. I have ordered a RTT (not smooth - more details to come) and needed a sturdy platform for that, some additional lights, fuel storage and mounting points for the high lift, shovel and axe.

The rack is pretty much like many ladder racks, this one being HEAVY duty tubular construction with the top most bars being square for the Yakima Track system to facilitate the tent or canoe transport. While a bit high it leaves room under the Yakima rack for small cargo and puts the tent in all but the biggest bears reach. :) A metal mesh floor runs the entire length - I have fantasies about waking up in the RTT, going out the 'front door' and plopping down in a comfy camp chair high atop the world and taking in the views, hot cup o'joe in hand. The bottom bar, running under the topper front to rear serves as a step to make using tie downs etc a little easier.

The entire rack is Line-X coated as well. My hope here is that will wear as well as the fender flares have, provide good traction for gear lashed to the top, and give me a good purchase on the metal when climbing around on it.

This was all done last night - I am on my way to a friends to mount the LightForce 170's up top and square away the high-lift mounts etc.

More to come, but i wanted to get this started to document the progression.

Hi:

This is EXACTLY what I have been unable to find from any manufacturer.

No "ladder racks" are made for a Taco that goes outside of the cap. I see that you had to cut the cap. I will need to do the same.

Any other photos of the inside on the bed?
How is it attached to the bed rails (I assume)?
Any dimensions?

I will build one myself.

Looking forward to your build.

CB

GaryMc

Explorer
Bzzzzt.... Wrong! Karomaster makes one.:safari-rig: http://www.kargomaster.com/item.asp?id=407

Nice work on the rack in the pics though!

Crooked Beat said:
Hi:

This is EXACTLY what I have been unable to find from any manufacturer.

No "ladder racks" are made for a Taco that goes outside of the cap. I see that you had to cut the cap. I will need to do the same.

Any other photos of the inside on the bed?
How is it attached to the bed rails (I assume)?
Any dimensions?

I will build one myself.

Looking forward to your build.

CB

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I looked at the Kargo Master stuff - it is very affordable and constructed to mild duty standards, but most certainly built to the price. I would not feel comfortable with more than cargo bag and maybe a fuel can up there. No way I would mount a RTT or a hi-lift, much more both! I feel that the KM was truly meant for ladders.

KM has a GREAT price point to their advantage. Mine was $1400 all in but I feel like I could roll the truck and be just fine so long as I could get her back on the wheels!
:bike_rider:

laxtoy

Adventurer
um, well the kargomaster racks most certainly can carry more than a ladder, and most come in more than one duty rating. i had a 1000 lb kargomaster lumber rack, exactly like the one in the link, on my 99 tacoma for over three years, carried everything from large loads of lumber to multiple ladder/pump jack/scaffolding systems safely from job to job, often on the freeway. that's exactly what they're designed for, be it over-rail, which you cannot mount a canopy under and has a larger cargo rating, or outer rail, which is similar to your rack, able to accommodate a canopy. i took mine off due to the fact when i lifted the front (rear had t100 leafs and sits about 2" over stock when i had the rack/canopy on), the whole system seemed top heavy, and knowing i planned to wheel my truck, and didn't like the bulk, i took it off. it now sits fully disassembled in my garage, and ready for a new home (anyone interested? has some rust but nothing a wire wheel and a grinder couldn't fix :D ). my future plans include fabbing my own cargo oriented rack that will bolt to the canopy and have some interior frame support, more streamlined to the canopy. not knocking your design, i think with the new taco's being wider, you already have overcome alot of the top heavy issues i felt were a problem with mine. i also dig the expanded grating on the top, that is very functional, something mine lacks

Clark White

Explorer
That looks great! I just finished drawing up plans for something similar, though not QUITE as sturdy. I'm looking to just mount it to the camper rather then to the bed rails, mainly for light bulky gear, some Jerry cans, and my girl friend and I at night. How much does yous weigh?

On my plans I put a third bar running front to back down the middle, but noticed you did not. I'm putting the exact same flooring down as you, now that you've built it, would you suggest a third bar, or is that flooring plenty strong enough to hold two people walking around up there with out sagging between bars?

Clark

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Clark White said:
That looks great! I just finished drawing up plans for something similar, though not QUITE as sturdy. I'm looking to just mount it to the camper rather then to the bed rails, mainly for light bulky gear, some Jerry cans, and my girl friend and I at night. How much does yous weigh?

On my plans I put a third bar running front to back down the middle, but noticed you did not. I'm putting the exact same flooring down as you, now that you've built it, would you suggest a third bar, or is that flooring plenty strong enough to hold two people walking around up there with out sagging between bars?

Clark

The floor is very sturdy - only the slightest bit of flex at the front of the truck, near the lights. It is pretty heavy - I would say 200 pounds, maybe a little more. I think an additional bar front to rear, on this particular rack, would not offer much more than weight. Without a swaybar, it is a little top heavy at speeds above 65 in the mountains and will require full attention loaded with tent, fuel etc. in the same circumstances.

I HIGHLY recommend the Line X! It is grippy, so gear lashed to the rack should easily stay put. Despite being black, it stayed nice and cool to the touch - I crawled all over it yesterday (sunny and around 80) mounting the lights with no problem at all. The coating also makes for superior hand grip, no matter what or where you grab. I think this will be very useful in winter and/ or out in the wilds when it might get rained on or muddy.

The next BIG useful item is the 'step' bar running front to rear under the topper along the bed. I used that all day yesterday and can only imagine how much more difficult loading and accessing the rack would be without it.

I'll post some more detailed pics when I get to the office!

jerry92toy

Thats not bad, I built a custom rack for my toyoya. All aluminum tubing. Its got a gas can mount, shovel and highlift. I will add light mounts soo. It weighs about 40 pounds but will support alot of weight.

laxtoy

Adventurer
Crooked Beat said:
Kargomaster told me that their rack is not recommended for the Tacoma. Due to the plastic tops of the beds and the fact that the top of bed gets narrower as you get to the tailgate or end of the truck.

the kargomaster mounts identical to the one pictured on shottenjagr's truck.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Trying the Photobucket thing again...

Anyway, hopefully you will see pics of the new rack sporting a RTT opening over the tailgate of the Tacoma. The rack is far more useful than I had imagined, and again, I am very happy I had it Line-X'ed - good grip everywhere and climbing on it makes me fell lke a kid at the jungle gym. Another proven facet to this particular design is the 'step' running from the front bed support to the rear. It really makes it easy to climb around and get to thing comfortably.

Next problem to solve is how to transport a canoe with the RTT...
:camping:

Last edited:
laxtoy said:
the kargomaster mounts identical to the one pictured on shottenjagr's truck.

This is what Kargomaster emailed me:

"Hello,
Thank you for your interest in Kargo Master. We do make a ladder rack that
will fit the 2005 and newer Toyota Tacoma's. However the ladder rack is not
designed to work with a camper shell. We designed a bed rail that will
attach to that track system in the bed so that way you are mounting the
ladder rack to the strongest point in the bed. That bedrail is not designed
to work with the camper shells.

Thank you,"

I latter phoned Kargomaster and asked if they would sell me a rack anyway. They strongly recommended I not use their product with a camper shell due to the plastic rails. I have seen the plastic rails removed and there is enough metal to support a Kargomaster IMHO, but Kargomaster seems not to want to take the chance.

CB

ss_storm

Downeiville010.jpg

Here's the custom rack I used to have on my taco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1