Daily Driver

GHOSTFJ

Observer
I DD my FJC 60 miles day. I figure I bought the vehicle to drive and enjoy, it would just look sad sitting in my driveway. I just like to have my rig with me where ever I may be, driving to and from work can be a adventure in itself.

jim65wagon

I DD my FJC 60 miles day. I figure I bought the vehicle to drive and enjoy, it would just look sad sitting in my driveway. I just like to have my rig with me where ever I may be, driving to and from work can be a adventure in itself.

...and I don't know how my maintenance costs can get any cheaper. I mean, besides gas and fluid changes, the only expenses have been one timing belt, one set of ball joints and tie rods, and four sets of tires, and two sets of brakes. I've never owned a vehicle that was easier to maintain and was so easy on wear parts.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
I DD my '98 4Runner most of the year, 110 miles round trip, but I carpool and only have to drive 1/2 of the time. I also try to drive my wife's Forester when I can.

It is nice having one more vehicle than drivers. If I have either vehicle tore apart, I can always drive my '68 Chevelle! Wrenching on the others gives me an excuses to drive it.

skrillah

Adventurer
I daily drive my '04 tacoma, about 85-90 miles per day/ 4-500 miles per week. Its got around 106k miles on it. I too have been contemplating the idea of a second vehicle to drive like a Civic or Corolla. My burden becomes the idea that I still owe around $5-6k on it, which kind of puts a wrench in the second vehicle idea, for now at least. Hopefully, I'll have it paid off in the next year or two though. Then the burden becomes convincing my wife...

In regards to the Civic or Corolla idea, the other nice thing is honestly just the comfort factor. I love my truck but its no Cadillac and driving these kind of miles, driver fatigue can be a factor.

loup407

Adventurer
My 2008 FJC is my daily driver. I've put 90,000 miles on it. I do own two sets of wheels and tires and use one set with winter tires 4 or 5 months of the year; saving my M/Ts for going offroad in warmer months. While the idea of driving something less expensive has some appeal; I just LIKE driving my truck.

TacoDell

Adventurer
My '01 DD D'uh Woo... purchased back in '06 with 85K on the ODO

bought 'er for $1500. 'cause 'dere obsolete...
and 'dat scares off most peeps

basic liability Ins. coverage... 'cause it lives... 'till someone kills it

Yep... this isn't a set of bling wheels... and maybe even considered ugly by most
But it saves me money over driving my trail junk on a daily basis.

daewoo04-1.jpg

daewoo01.jpg

daewoo09.jpg

It's been 100% reliable... 'cept the time it threw the timing belt and ate some valves... :oops:

nubiraBV02.jpg

nubiraBV03.jpg

nubiraBV04.jpg

bentvalves03.jpg

But I fixed 'er up...
Got lucky it didn't booger up the head...
sooo... $ 300. tossed into the 'Woo black hole... and with a little effort on my part...
...it's been pulling duty just fine since

I think owning a DD is really just an excuse for me, not to wash my other wheels :oops:
And even worse... allows me to waste more money on the the toy...
...even when it don't really need things (Hobby Disease I guess) :eek:

HankookRT03295s8.jpg

^ yes I was bored :p

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I used to DD the 4wd but I went with the separate DD route about 8 years ago. Since then, it just hasn't seemed practical to use a 4wd for transportation. Small front-wheel-drive cars are definitely my favorite things to drive...even in the snow.

My secondary DD used to be a '91 Integra 5-speed that I loved. It was a lot of fun, looked great inside and out and was cheap and easy to own. It could fit bicycles and lawnmowers inside with the hatchback design and was even a good snow car. It regularly got 37 mpg. I only did oil/filter changes in the time that I had it. It was an amazing combination of pulse-quickening and economy.

frontSmall.jpg

Whew--I get light-headed just lookin' at it.

A few years later, I sold it for a 2nd gen Prius hatchback for the low emissions and fuel consumption. After driving and owning a Pri', anything else seems archaic. It's just so well thought-out and the driving experience is great. It gets 55mpg in the winter and 62 mpg in the summer. It's also great for hauling bikes, dogs, etc.

These days I work from home and run most of my errands by bicycle, so the "DD" gets driven about once per week and the 4wd gets driven once every 1-2 months. While it makes no sense for me to own two vehicles with my current use, they've both been paid off for a while and are very easy to own. I figure I'll just keep them as long as possible and save by not replacing them.

Last edited:

xjaugie

Adventurer
All great input and the same thoughts expressed are what has been going through my mind. I've gotten so used to having a seperate DD and find I miss having one, even it is just so I can run and get those parts I need to finish a project on the 4x4. Think I'll start looking soon.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My only gripe with my DD is that I wish it was a wagon. Sadly, it's getting harder to find little wagons anymore, which is a shame because there isn't a more practical DD out there. Subaru still makes wagons but they're about the only ones making a small wagon.

If my DD was totaled I might seriously consider a 2002-2003 Protege 5 wagon. Neat little cars. Mazda still makes the Mazda 3 as a 4 door "hatchback" (which is really just a little wagon) so I guess that would be another possibility.

I do think Mazda is one of those brands that tends to get overlooked just because it's such a small-volume car compared to the giants like Toyota and Nissan.

Richie Rich

My DD is a 96 2wd tacoma (5lug).

Advantages:
Gets 2x the gas mileage my 4x4 does.
All expo gear stays in the 4x4, all my work tools live in the Tacoma (no having to swap to use my 4x4), it is always ready to go.
Long wearing, much, much cheaper tires then the 4x4
Rides and drives a lot nicer then the 4x4
Fits nicely in urban environments *also fits in parking garages
Attracts less attention from "the man" then the 4x4
Portrays a clean, professional image to my clients (no muddy 4x4 in their driveway)
Easy to calculate mileage for tax purposes (I only drive the truck when working, stays parked after hours and on weekends).
Can take my 4x4 off the road for weeks/months if needed for repairs and mods.
If I break it, I only have to worry about getting it home, not how I am going to get to work on monday
Conversely, if the tacoma needs repairs, I can work out of the 4x4 if I have to.

I have run 2 trucks for the last 10 years, worth every penny to me.

xjaugie

Adventurer
My DD is a 96 2wd tacoma (5lug).

Advantages:
Gets 2x the gas mileage my 4x4 does.
All expo gear stays in the 4x4, all my work tools live in the Tacoma (no having to swap to use my 4x4), it is always ready to go.
Long wearing, much, much cheaper tires then the 4x4
Rides and drives a lot nicer then the 4x4
Fits nicely in urban environments *also fits in parking garages
Attracts less attention from "the man" then the 4x4
Portrays a clean, professional image to my clients (no muddy 4x4 in their driveway)
Easy to calculate mileage for tax purposes (I only drive the truck when working, stays parked after hours and on weekends).
Can take my 4x4 off the road for weeks/months if needed for repairs and mods.
If I break it, I only have to worry about getting it home, not how I am going to get to work on monday
Conversely, if the tacoma needs repairs, I can work out of the 4x4 if I have to.

I have run 2 trucks for the last 10 years, worth every penny to me.

Very well put. And that is excactly what I had been doing for the last 20 years, I had the 4x4 for play and a 2x work truck. Only difference was that the company supplied the work truck. Now I gotta....

Expedition Leader
I drive my main expo truck every day, just because it's fun to drive and I enjoy it. Life is short and I try to enjoy the small things (like driving a 32-year-old truck) rather than worry about too many miles or fuel economy. I do have other vehicles to drive if need be or if passenger comfort were more of a priority.

skrillah

Adventurer
I just picked up '94 Accord for $1000'bucks. Has somewhere between 175-200k miles (ODO was replaced). Runs like a top, new tires, etc. Needs a tune-up and a heater core but otherwise I'll drive it into the ground. For $1000...it should almost pay for itself in one summer with gas the way it is and driving 90 miles a day. Cheers

upcountry

Explorer
Not to sound like a purist or trying to one up anyone, but I daily drive my bicycle. Why:

1) it gets better gas mileage.
2)I suffered some medical setbacks at age 35 and decided to try to get in better shape.
3)it reminds me I'm alive still
4)its faster than driving on most days in the congested city I live in

Now if I had to carry tools or cargo for work it would be a no-go. But I don't.

Rain, snow, and wind suck.

It can be dangerous but its more fun that way.

Now, I don't bike all the time. I often use the bike to link together a series of busses to get where I'm going.

It takes a lot of planning and always carryjng a change of clothes sucks. Days I need to wear a jacket and tie to work require advanced planning.

I would highly suggest this as an alternative if you don't have to carry cargo and tools and if you live within 20 miles of your work. I live 15 miles from my work.

Truck stays parked for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1