Did I Find The Holy Grail Of The 80 Series ?

Klierslc

Explorer
Dave,

Good points on most things, but the vast majority of unused lockers will work on their own given 30 minutes or so of exercise..

Nay

Observer
The holy grail of 80's series purchases is finding one that a typically OCD owner baselined like crazy and is now selling including some good mods, all at pennies on the dollar.

Pristine stockers sell at higher relative prices than anything else in the 80 series market, and the often have lower miles but no major maintenance 13-17 years into the rig's life. If you really want to pay a lot of money for an 80 in this market, a pristine stocker with no baseline maintenance is pretty much the best way to do it.

To give you some perspective, I bought my '95 in 2005 with 105K miles, which the second owner had bought from an older lady in Florida with 90K miles. He took the truck to Slee Offroad and dropped over $5K in front and rear axle maintenance (the 90K service, including services the locker actuators), PHH, PM headgasket, rock sliders and an OME lift. The PO also did brake work, replaced the driver's seat leather, installed a Garvin roof rack, and upgraded the stereo speakers.

I paid $13,800 at that time, and that rig would probably go for $8K now with current mileage (I have 147K). But my position was that I wouldn't have to dig into any deep maintenance for about 4 years, which played out perfectly.

Now I am not saying to walk away from this current opportunity by any means, just to point out that modified and baselined 80's in excellent condition often sell for less than pristine stockers with the same mileage, and that shows that people are willing to spend for the notion of youth over the reality of fitness on a middle aged platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp