Diesel Tundra in 2016??

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I saw it on another forum awhile back. If they come out with it, I will have one. Diesels are the only thing that tempts me away from Toyotas, but I would have a fit if Toyota actually produced a diesel in the American market.

Ramjet

Explorer
Also, Nissan is about to drop a diesel in the Frontier. Looks like everyone is changing their minds about Diesel engines. But, I will believe it when I see it as well.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Toyota has such good Diesel engines it would suck to use someone else's
That was my first thought, too. If it was to happen I guess names like Cummins, Allison, etc. are perceived to be important marketing tools. But what of Hino?

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
From what I gather toyota would use the cummins to test the market, if it takes off then they would continue testing and installing their own diesel in future models . Sounds like they stopped this process in 2008 due to the conditions and lack of love for the big trucks. I know from a few insiders that the EPA cost to get a new diesel certified in the US is crazy money. Toyota seems to make pretty smart business decisions. No bail outs needed here:). My issue is that the new diesels on full size trucks are getting poor mpg due to the lovely Mr. EPA and their exhaust bull. So it takes a long time for a guy to re-coupe the extra cost of the diesel. Most people don't because they get rid of the vehicle beforehand. People that think the EPA is for the environment and not just money well.... Diesel would be good if they can get the mileage as they used to.
Cam-shaft

java

Expedition Leader
Toyota has such good Diesel engines it would suck to use someone else's

Toyota has deemed it too costly to redesign their motors to meets US sulfur emissions standards. Everywhere else .8ppm, US .6ppm. I guess it not just a matter of changing emissions control equipment.....

RCsGX

Yeah!!

$T2eC16d,!%29MFIb,13Ey7BSH1FCZEww~~60_35.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1