Dilemma with trailer plan(s)

Xodius

Adventurer
Ok so I have a...well...a to. Of plans that I have drawn up for a off-road camper. My issue(s) are that the tear drops that I have designed and looked at seem to have one common issue. You can't easily get in and out of them and then if you are hunting you have your boots. Do you take them off outside and bring them in of what? I know stupid issues but issues none the less for me.
I want to build something that will give me some room but be light enough to pull with my 2008 jku.
I do not really want to go rtt route due to nearly every time I go camping I have some extreme weather and more often then not wake to my tent slapping me in the face. Each time I have gone in a hard trailer it has been beautiful...I know jinxed from the start.
So I am calling on all those that want to throw in their 2 cents or in some cases 1$ :)
Things I want to have in/on my trailer...in no specific order.

Matching rims to my tow vehicle
Solar power(eventually)
Room to bring in my gear but not be huge
Lightweight.
Possibly have a shower attachment outside
Possibly a pull out/attachable sink on work/cook counter
Be off road capable
Fit 2 spare jerry cans(yes I do use them on some runs)
Fit two people easily with potential for a third...maybe a bunk type addition(for younger son)

I have eyed the pictures for...Yosemitebobs off-road trailer but have not found much info on it. I also sort of like the campbox but would tweak it.
Sawtooth is also nice, saw the one here in Vegas, but again the issue with the boots. Reasoning there isn't just having the boots inside it is really opening the door for a time to allow trailer tempt to drop so much for any one with me.

So please, if you have any input I would gladly listen to it. Also, suggestions for doors and windows along with a skin. I flip flop between an aluminum or just a rhino line type finish.

awol

Observer
I am working on a similar idea so I will share a sneak peak with you. I'll probably start a thread for it once I have more progress. Obviously the model doesn't show everything, I'm actually working on the frame and stuff so I haven't updated it lately.

medium.JPG

All aluminum. Rear entry. The large opening on the right side will fold down for the main bed that will be 60" wide and about 72" long. Storage and galley will be in the lower front opening. You could add a second small bed into the front upper area that would be great for a young child. The body is 60" wide so figure 58" interior width. The top opens up as well. When the top is closed you have enough room to sit and be comfortable. That way if you had some nasty weather you could close the roof down and a couple people could relax. Sitting in this with the top closed is the same as sitting in your Jeep (seat height to floor and head room). With the top open you have plenty of head room for standing and such. Down the road I will most likely change the front upper area to additional storage and make an upper bed similar to Alu-Cab's conversions so that the bed and mattress pivot up into the roof when you don't need them and you just pull it down to sleep.

Maybe this will spark some ideas for you.

Last edited:

Hummelator

Adventurer
Rear entry is definitely the way to go. I was going to
Build a tear drop but then got a space kap that has a rear entry. Building a bed platform at the front which will leave me about 20" to take off my shoes and store them or whatever. Also, under the bed platform will be all my storage. IMG_2622.jpg

Ozarker

A van will be my primary bed and kitchen, my trailer morphs into several things, toy hauler, tent, cargo, it's a modified tilt trailer still being modified.

You need to define light weight, no hard sided camper is light, IMO. Fold out tent campers are about as light as you can get unless you go with space age foam sandwich panel stuff.

Harsh weather, like in the cold? You won't see many hard shell campers above the Arctic, you will see tents for expeditions. Just need the right tent materials, probably not a Coleman.

Great thought of matching trailer and vehicle wheels.

Consider some type of tent annex attached to any micro camper to stand up in, dress or shower. I like the pop top versions for that reason.

It's nice to be off the round especially in heavy rains, the RTTs are popular, I suppose there is a certain coolness about them but if you're not as limber as a monkey they aren't that practical.

Best of luck with your build, looks good. :)

Xodius

Adventurer
Lightweight for me is under 3k-ish.

Both of those ideas are pretty cool looking. I was eyeing another version that is Australian....seems most of the ones I like are after additional research lol. More food for thought and I think I will dive back into my drawings a bit and tweak a bit.

Thank you!

SoCal Tom

Explorer
You take off your boots outside, and keep them in the truck at night. I wear a pair of crocs after I take off my boots. The crocs go on the roof or wheel well. when I go to bed, or if you make a small cubby below the bed with a hatch you can open, you can put them just inside the door under the bed. ( when it rains I put them in a small bucket I keep under the trailer). Also good to wear for a night time visit to the facilities. Put on the boots while you sit in a chair on the ground. You don't want to bring dirty boots onto you bed.
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design