Discovery Head Gasket Bolts

College Kid

Adventurer
I've searched everywhere for this;

I am just about the do the HG on my DII. Everything I have read tells me that I should replace the bolts. I bought the HG kit from Atlantic British, but I opted not to buy the bolt kit as I am in the fastener business and can source anything locally.

So here's the problem I could pull the whole thing apart and measure the bolts but I'd rather have everything ready to go. I know there are two different sizes needed.

Does anyone have the measurements for the bolts?

Red90

Adventurer
They are special stretch bolts. They must be replaced. I'm not thinking you are going to want to use off the shelf bolts....

DNTL740

Adventurer
I did my HG about 5 months ago, I opted to install ARP studs. I was told by a mechanic, that if I was using the LR stretch bolts, when installing them if I felt one stretched too much, I should just get another one, and try again........

I don't know about you, but to me, that didn't sound right.

When I went to ARP, I bought the kit for a Buick I believe, and it came with 6 or 8 extra studs, the sales lady told me I could have just bought the bolts I needed, which would have been cheaper.

Hope this helps.......

David Harris

Expedition Leader
When I went to ARP, I bought the kit for a Buick I believe, and it came with 6 or 8 extra studs . . .

That's because the bolt kit is for the Buick V8, which is fine for the Rover as well, but the pre-96 Buick/Rover V8 has 14 bolt heads, whereas the post 96 has 10 bolt heads. Thus, you had 8 extra bolts after the install in your 2001 D2.

David

rover4x4

Adventurer
Call Mark at D&D Fab, he can source you with the head studs and the correct specs for installing. Studs are re usable and will hold that ***** together. Ill use them in any head job I do.

SeaRubi

Explorer
I know a certain DII that just had a HG failure on studs. It's not the end-all solution. I say get the TTY bolts from D&D and call it good ...

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I know a certain DII that just had a HG failure on studs. It's not the end-all solution. I say get the TTY bolts from D&D and call it good ...

You're right. It's certainly no guarantee. The pluses of studs include the fact that when you're tightening them down, the threads in the block are stationary (not turning themselves) This puts less stress on everything, and allows much more even torque. Either one will work fine, though.

David

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
After torquing down the stretch bolts i stop for the night, next morning I come back and retorque the bolts to make sure everything is 100% and then proceed with the rest of the install.

Makes it a two day affair but gives a little more piece of mind.

-Sam

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
One of the issues with studs that I've read about (I've never used them on a Rover V8) is that it can be dicey removing the heads with the engine in situ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design