Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
your welcome and thank you for your service for our freedom!!!

salute.gif
bttlflag.gif

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Phase II: Front Suspension Upgrades

Well, I'm at 100K now and I've had the Icon (formerly Donahoe Racing) 2.5 coilovers on the truck for approximately 80K... pretty impressive performance and longevity IMO. The only issue they have had is a small shaft seal leak on the drivers side CO and decreasing response due to needing to to be re-charged.

107_3881.jpg

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

clcoyle

Explorer
Love the Build. A complete inspiration for my future 2012 Taco. I look forward to meeting you at CP in Dec for the Toys for Tots event.

Thanks for all the info.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
FWIW you could cut the head of the bolt off, buy new bolts from toyota, and slide them in from the opposite direction, if you had an aversion to bending the sheet metal.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Phase II Continued

COILOVER REBUILD AND UPGRADE: The original Donahoe Racing 2.5 inch coilovers have almost 80K on them, very impressive considering the weight of my truck (5,400 lbs) and the punishing terrain I've taken it across over those 80K. So those came off along with the OEM upper control arms and the old shocks were taken in to Icon for a rebuild.

Here's how the coilovers look after rebuild - recapped and upgraded to VS Series 2.5 remote reservoirs!

107_3897.jpg

ICON TUBULAR UPPER CONTROL ARMS: New for 2011 are the 2005+ Tacoma / 2007+ FJ Cruiser Tubular Uniball Upper Control Arms, these are a direct replacement Uniball Upper Control Arm to replace the weak OEM upper arm and is intended to maximize wheel travel, correct caster, and add strength to Independent Front Suspension components.

The Icon 2005+ Tacoma / 2007+ FJ Cruiser Tubular Uniball Upper Control Arm System - 58450 Fits:

2005+ Toyota Tacoma 2wd / 4wd
2007+ Toyota FJ Cruiser 2wd / 4wd

107_3900.jpg

The ICON 2005+ Tacoma / 2007+ FJ Cruiser Tubular Uniball Upper Control Arm System - 58450 are built with the following specifications:

-1026 DOM Seamless Tubing
-CNC Bent Tubing
-CNC Machined Bushing Housings and Sleeves
-4130 CNC Machined Uni-ball Cup
-17-4 High Grade Stainless Steel Uni-ball Adapter Pin
-High Precision CNC Machined Pin Provides OEM Like Fitment
-Professionally Precision Welded
-1" Teflon Lined Uniball

With the combined Icon Vehicle Dynamics 58450 Upper Control Arm and Icon coil over shock package you can obtain 2½+ of lift and 2 of extra droop wheel travel on your 2wd or 4wd Truck. The Tubular Uniball Upper Control Arm System (Part 58450) replaces the OEM factory upper ball joints with a 1" Teflon Lined Uniball. Icon Vehicle Dynamics has designed the arms to maximize droop wheel travel, correct castor, and increase the durability of suspension components when you install Icon coil over shocks or other manufacturers lift systems.

I'll have her all put back together this weekend! :D

Sweet! Your factory parts are still servicable! Wished your old stuff would fit my old worn out Taco. I will be doing the whole front end rebuild this spring after ski season. Have fun with the install!

JamesDowning

Explorer
Looks pretty sweet Doc. Good to hear that another company expects people to service their upper control arms only after removing the body from the frame (same issues with my Trailblazer).

I'd like to know where Icon sources their uni-balls from. That would be something interesting to play with.

upcountry

Explorer
2005 Tacoma upper A arm removal can be a real PITA... got it done but it's no fun bending virgin sheet metal out of the way for that looooong bolt!

Great tech how to here: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3381

Icon stuff should be here by weeks end... :drool:

I cut my bolts and put new ones in backwards but used a grade 8 nylock nut just in case the nut loosened it wont fall off and thebolt work its way backwards which is downhill due to the angle of the a arm mounting bracket.

It looks like you have more patience than do. Bending the sheet metal looked like a PITA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1