Does anyone run a Detroit locker in GM 10 bolt?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Does anyone run a Detroit Locker, Grizzly Locker or a spartan lunchbox in their GM 10bolt rear end?

Any other rear ends that you have used the Detroit Locker in when you had a full size truck that weighed at least 6,000lbs.

I don't care about theoretical reasons why it would or would not work, but rather from actual people that have one in their current vehicle or have used one in a past vehicle.

I also don't really care about how well or terrible it worked in a Jeep or a 4Runner.

I love the G80 and the fact that it's a limited slip until you need it then it locks 100% in forward or reverse, but I already went through a set of axles because the jerking did not work well with my 37" tires. I also had an eLocker in my 10 bolt, however I had issues from day one and it fried after 2 weeks on it's maiden voyage.

Thanx for all the input.

Stryder106

Explorer
Not a Detroit Locker, but I swapped out my G80 (still working to the surprise of the Eaton folks) for an ARB AirLocker in my GM 10bolt. I got the first of the redesign from Australia that eliminated 50% of the moving parts and doubled the strength.

Explorerinil

Observer
I had a 94 2 door full-size blazer and I put a Detroit in it back in 98 or 99 when I owned it, I ram 33 inch swampers and a small lift. That 10bolt made it about 10 thousand miles on that set up until it was completely ruined. Granted I was 19 and beat the tar out of that truck, I then sold it in 01.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Thanx guys,

I am surprised that more people do not run the Detroit in their full size trucks. Also good to know that the new ARB air locker has half the moving parts of the original design, that might be an option for me in the near future but not quite sold on it yet with the extra parts of an on board air system.

Strongly considering swapping out the G80 for the Detroit, mostly because very few others have done it.

Smileyshaun

Observer
my first offroad rig was a 77 Chevy 1/2 ton on 35s and I had lunchbox lockers and 4.56 in it and beat on it for over 10 years and never had a issue other then breaking a couple u joints .

Kevin108

Explorer
I ran a Lockright in my 87 Silverado. It was great. I wouldn't bother with something as heavy duty as the Detroit on the 10-bolt. The axle itself isn't strong enough to justify an expensive locker.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I ran a Lockright in my 87 Silverado. It was great. I wouldn't bother with something as heavy duty as the Detroit on the 10-bolt. The axle itself isn't strong enough to justify an expensive locker.

Kevin108,

Good to hear that you did not have any problems with the LockRight. I am weighing the options right now between the price of a new carrier and a lunchbox vs a Detroit. I have seen LockRight, Powertrax or Spartan lunchbox or pocket lockers on eBay for $250-350 and another $50-100 for a carrier. Detroits pop up for 500-700 on eBay. So a Detroit costs twice as much as a lunchbox.

Hopefully I can find something cheap and good on line this summer.

Kevin108

Explorer
There's no reason not to consider a rear axle swap. Then you can justify the costlier, more durable locker choice. It's cheaper and easier than you might think.

Stryder106

Explorer
Thanx guys,

I am surprised that more people do not run the Detroit in their full size trucks. Also good to know that the new ARB air locker has half the moving parts of the original design, that might be an option for me in the near future but not quite sold on it yet with the extra parts of an on board air system.

Strongly considering swapping out the G80 for the Detroit, mostly because very few others have done it.

Yeah. Watch for sales - ARB pretty regularly has a "Buy an Air Locker and get a free compressor". That was what I watched for and then had them credit me the price of the single compressor for the costlier but much better twin compressor. Sold my C02 bottle system to help cover it - so net-net the twin ended up not costing me all that much. And it is one of the better things I've ever added - gets used multiple times on every trip.

ClovisMan

Observer
I have a LockRite lunchbox locker in my rear 14 Semi-Float axle in a 1991 Suburban. Works fine. I dont even get the chirping people complain about while turning.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I have a LockRite lunchbox locker in my rear 14 Semi-Float axle in a 1991 Suburban. Works fine. I dont even get the chirping people complain about while turning.

ClovisMan,

That's the general consensus I have found on all the forums, with heavier full size trucks the Detroits and lunch boxes seem to work much better and more daily driver friendly than in lighter trucks making the chirping virtually non-existent.

Thank you.

Mudwolf

89 silverado with 33's and a powertrax lunchbox locker, no chirping and no jerking. Free spools around corners really nice and seems/ feels like power is always applied to both rear tires, very different feeling than the factory G80.

Wouldn't hesitate.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
89 silverado with 33's and a powertrax lunchbox locker, no chirping and no jerking. Free spools around corners really nice and seems/ feels like power is always applied to both rear tires, very different feeling than the factory G80.

Wouldn't hesitate.

Mudwolf,

Thank you for your input, sounds like everyone that has put a lunchbox in their fullsize has not had any problems and clearly an improvement over the G80, looks like it's time to start piecing one together on eBay.

Thank you for the feedback.

Mudwolf

Mudwolf,

Thank you for your input, sounds like everyone that has put a lunchbox in their fullsize has not had any problems and clearly an improvement over the G80, looks like it's time to start piecing one together on eBay.

Thank you for the feedback.

You bet. Nice thing is they are reasonable! When doing your install take the money you saved on the electric or air alternatives and spend some on two things. A slightly larger rear diff cover (w/cooling fins) and Lucas Diff/Royal Purple Diff fluid.

Most guys running lunchboxes are/ or should be using a heavier weight oil than what is factory recommend for their make/model. This will do two things. Keep the increased heat created by the locker down and reduce the sound you get out of any clicking in the lunchbox.

VisionxOrb

Observer
I ran a Detroit in the Rear of my 84 K5, it was a 14bolt swap though not in a 10, but I wouldn't run it again on something I drove on the street routinely. granted a suburban is longer wheel base so the effect might not be as bad but my blazer would change direction on the highway everytime I would take my foot off or on the gas. Was SUPER annoying to drive any distance like that and things would get hairy pretty quick in the snow when driving roads. actually now that I think about it often in the rain when making sharp turns it would want to step out on me, got really good at counter steering.

At this point I would only go selectable unless it was only a trail rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1