Does HP trump range on a loaded EV Pickup?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
So that’s ⬆️ the question for the day:

The (extremely pricey) new Chevy EV Silverado is getting some hot press this week that, among other things, trumpets its powerful HP rating (@750 bhp) and speedy 0-60 test results (4.5 secs, hoo wee!).

It’s range (empty?) is also loudly ringing the brag bells (@440 miles).

But this almost $100k truck weighs @9,100 lbs… before you load it with a camper and gear, or ???

So what’s the real, practical range loaded for use as a real truck? How much does that figure shrink?

It’s rated to tow @10,000 lbs. but again, how far will it actually pull your big camp trailer or toy hauler before running too low on juice???

I dunno…standing alone some of these stats sound pretty impressive. But I’d sure hope most potential owners would want to get some accurate info on how this rich person’s toy truly stacks up when put to work as trucks were originally meant to perform, before they can get too excited about remortgaging their home to buy one.

You can read a more loving review here to come to your own conclusion (oh yeah, it has ‘4 wheel steering’👍🏻):

Last edited:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
After you have enough horsepower any extra is a luxury but more range is always advantageous.

My aunt and uncle travelled all over the west in their pickup loaded with a hard side camper powered by a 225 cu.in. slant six (145 horsepower, 215 ft-lb torque) and 3-in-the-tree. It did the job (and lasted for years).

I want to know for any truck I buy:
- milage at max GVWR
- milage at max GVTWR

Ozarker

No substitute for cubic inches! ??????

This reminds me of my early off road camping touring overlanding quests in a 36 HP, VW, range was most important since HP really wasn't an option. Same with a C-10, 292 6 banger, putting a tent over the bed, it climbed every hill I drove it to.

Problem today is that folks have to take the house with them out into the great wilderness. That requires HP, excessive HP, with more HP in reserve just in case.

Maybe the ideal set up is tons of HP, like 700-800 hp and the ability to carry 3 tons, one ton of which is fuel.

rruff

Explorer
So that’s ⬆️ the question for the day
Range doesn't improve much by reducing power, so they aren't really related.

The only reason we have EV pickups is because many people like to commute, go to the grocery store, and do manly things like buy a sheet of plywood from HD... in a pickup. Mostly because it is big and puts you high on the food chain. The fact that they suck for towing or hauling cross country should be irrelevant to most pickup owners.

It is extremely insane for us to use the same vehicle to haul a 150 lb human a few miles on a daily basis, as we use to pull a 15,000 lb trailer 4,000 miles once every few years. IMO.

crazysccrmd

Observer
All the spces related to range and charge times are optimistic lies.
Reality will be much worse.

That really depends on the manufacturer. Tesla and Ford are really bad about range specs while Rivian, Audi and Porsche are either accurate or real world range exceeds rated range.

Charge times across the board are accurate as that’s just simple math. The idea that they are inaccurate comes from people using low powered 50kw DCFCs when the rating is derived from using 200kw chargers and wondering why it’s taking way longer than advertised.

llamalander

As someone who hauls crap around everyday for work, neither matter--price does.
I need to get on the freeway at the speed of traffic. If I drive more than 50 miles in a workday, I'm doing someone a favor, because that isn't usual. If I'd have to add another 10-20 hours of work to my week to afford an electric vehicle I can race 'vetts in, I'll pass.
Low-speed maneuverability, high payload, good visibility & low fuel costs are all desirable, a decent charging rate is a plus, but a battery small enough to charge overnight at a moderate rate is also good--150 miles range is plenty in my world.
I want a vehicle to impress me, not other people. I'm impressed by something that can keep going after a heap of abuse and still do what's needed of it.

Ozarker

It is extremely insane for us to use the same vehicle to haul a 150 lb human a few miles on a daily basis, as we use to pull a 15,000 lb trailer 4,000 miles once every few years. IMO.
Which is why guys who own trucks should also own a sports car!

High HP (KW) does not equate to low efficiency with electric vehicles. There is obviously a weight penalty for larger batteries, of similar chemistries, but higher voltage architecture is by nature lighter.

Ozarker

Now, I admire your opinions as the forum's science guy, but can you explain this?

More fuel isn't required for higher horsepower engines?

As I recall, my VW's got about 24-28 mpg with 36 to 62 hp, my 300 hp Vet got about 10 mpg on a good day. The more fuel poured in from two 4 barrels gets burned causing more combustion than the 2 barrel can choke on.

Now, if you meant detuning that 300 hp Chevy, retard timing, pinch the jets and coast downhill, won't save you much in fuel, I get that.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Range doesn't improve much by reducing power, so they aren't really related
1 Horsepower = 746 Watts
. . . It is extremely insane for us to use the same vehicle to haul a 150 lb human a few miles on a daily basis, as we use to pull a 15,000 lb trailer 4,000 miles once every few years. IMO.
Some of us can't afford a specialized vehicles. A truck that can pull a 15,000 lb trailer 4,000 miles gets around town just fine. An econobox that gets around town efficiently can't pull a 15,000 lb trailer down my driveway.

When I was working 50% of my miles were weekend adventures and a 4 week trip.
Retired now and recreation takes up about 70% of my miles.
I don't have enough $$ to spend on both a small commuter car and trips. Guess which I've chosen.

rruff

Explorer
Some of us can't afford a specialized vehicles. A truck that can pull a 15,000 lb trailer 4,000 miles gets around town just fine. An econobox that gets around town efficiently can't pull a 15,000 lb trailer down my driveway.
Only because our infrastructure is designed to accommodate and favor using big trucks absolutely everywhere. I don't know what you mean by "econobox" but I'm referring to simple vehicles that are much smaller than a compact car. This sort of transportation would be very efficient, cheap, and even safe... provided that the infrastructure was designed to favor them. Instead we favor people using big trucks for everything, so that is what is dominant, and even driving a compact car is unsafe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad