Dogs traveling in camper?

goin camping

Explorer
I was considering a dog. There will be times that the dog would be left in the camper alone, (with water and ventilation of course). One thing I fear is someone trying to be a hero and breaking my window to rescue a dog that does not need rescuing. Any thoughts on that? Does anyone leave their pets in the camper for errands, etc?

We leave our dogs in the Airstream alone sometimes. Yes, they have water and the vents open and fans running and the temp plays a major role on when we do it.

We also leave the curtains open so the dogs can look around and not be bored. No one has ever said a thing to us about it. Maybe it is because whenever someone gets too close to the trailer they see two snarling barking 100lb. German Shepherds. Very territorial those dogs.

I'm sure in the same situation that a cute, friendly pooch would cause the doggie do gooders to have their fits.

goin camping

Explorer
100lbs? I'm confiscating your shepherds to put them on a diet. :sombrero:

Actually only girl dog is about 15 lbs. Over weight. We just somehow got two two cute little puppies that turned into huge freakin dogs. Both are tall and long.

P.S. We already cut her daily intake. She is not happy.

mkish

Adventurer
Once we had to drive about 5 minutes from our campsite to another spot. It was raining and the dog refused to get out of the camper. It was really wet so we didn't feel like standing in the muck arguing with 85 lbs of no. So he rode a short slow distance in the camper (yes, popup truck camper). Funny, he never ever ever let himself be left in there again.

nranger05

I often travel with my Jack Russell, 15 years old now, in my Northstar pop-up camper. He loves to travel and like his own space in the camper. The windows between cab and camper are always open so he can pass through to a safe area behind the truck seats if he desires. When stopped, the camper hatch is opened and the fan turned on and a side window is also opened. Of course, we avoid hot weather travel. He never fails to want to jump into the camper but is often reluctant to exit. Oh yeah, food and water are always provided.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
This is a huge flashpoint topic, lots of potential for harsh words and recrimminations. We had a hard-side camper on my dad's truck for 15 years, with a regular cab, and for long distance hunting trips there was no way we were putting 3 big men and one 110lb woman in the cab, let alone two 60lb setters. So somebody was going to ride in the camper. It was illegal as Hell, but it worked for several years. Then I got a dedicated dog trailer, with built-in waterers and food dishes, not to mention ventilators and a fan. When Dad got an extended cab, we thought we were all (humans and canines) in hog heaven. Four humans in the cab, two or maybe three dogs in the "Hilton" as it came to be known. Eventually, Dad bought an all-aluminum dog trailer, with 6 separate boxes, each big enough for 2 dogs in a pinch. This has hauled our canine pals, plus all of our luggage, from the Seattle area to South Dakota every Fall for ten years. When it's really cold, the insulation in the trailer and the dog's body heat keeps it quite warm. The aluminum trailer is known as the "Westin". For shorter trips the dogs ride in the camper if we take my truck, in the cab if my dad drives. Travelling in 90+ weather the camper never seems to get any hotter than the ambient temperature. If it's frigid outside, we turn on the furnace, it works fine underway. That's probably overkill, but it doesn't burn that much propane to keep them a little bit more comfortable. I guess where I'm going with this is, just about any system works if you use a certain amount of common sense. All of the cattle dogs around here ride loose on the back of flatbeds most of the time, they are just trained to stay put. By the way, I jacknifed and rolled the aluminum dog trailer on a sheet of ice in January while chukar hunting one year, the dogs weren't real happy with me but not ONE of them sustained any injury at all.

Rico V

Yep, our 16 yo cat is a true camping kitty, she goes on all our trips in a popup camper, up front in the king cab while we're driving (with litter box and food/water), and sleeping on the queen with us at night (under the covers if it's cold).
Rico

OCD Overland

Explorer
Anybody travel with cats?
Charlie
Always.
ricky-bobby-cougar.jpg

coolhandlucc

I just sold a heavily modified 2015 Tundra TRD with LEER camper in order to accommodate our two travel dogs. We live in Texas and pull our RV everywhere but its a full day drive getting out of our state and the dogs were miserable in the back during our summer trips. Fortunately a off road van has been on our bucket list for ever, so pulled the trigger! We now all travel comfortably in a 2014 E350 15 passenger EB Quigley 4X4. The work begins! Fabricating bed for the back, took out all the benches except one and $7000.00 of Aluminess will be here Thursday!

Last edited:
Im thinking about having my dogs ride in camper while on the road so looing for insight on this. I recently saw someone lose their camper on the freeway whole driving nd couldnt imagine that happening while dogs wee inside. Anyone have more insight on this? was that a freak accident?

762X39

Explorer
Canaan never had a problem with riding in the back. It couldn't have been noisier than the ride in the cab...
He probably traveled 300,00km in the back of my Mog and F150. I would never leave him in our travel trailer though. He had no problem sleeping in the cab when it was 30 below but really wanted to sleep under the truck. Never ever left him in the cab in the spring, summer or fall. It was the back of the truck with water and shade or out with me.
On guard.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design