Drifter's 2013 JKUR Build

Drifter

Hi all.

I am not really new to the forum, but new to building a JK. I picked up the JK Unlimited Rubicon in June 2013. There are many things I enjoy about the JK, but the stock suspension was not one of them. I have been spoiled by my Tacoma with Icon 2.5" coilovers and shocks, and the stock JK was just too easy to bottom out on the roads and trails I frequent here in the southwest, especially loaded with gear and family. Sooo...I needed to upgrade the JK suspension. After nearly a year I finally got around to working on the JK.

I will post progress in this thread. I welcome suggestions and help. I have a lot of experience with Toyotas, and have owned Jeeps in the past (the last was a 1993 Cherokee) but do not have a lot of Jeep knowledge, and am interested in learning.

Post 1: Introduction

Post 2: List of Mods

Post 3: Photos

Drifter

2013 Jeep JKUR List of Modifications

AEV 2.5" XT Lift
Fox 2.5" Internal Bypass Shocks
King 2.0" Air Bumps (front)
Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer
Rancho front Drop Arm Brackets
JKS Front Adjustable Trackbar
JKS Front Swaybar Disconnects
Synergy Front Shock Relocation Brackets
Synergy Suspension Bolt Upgrade
AEV Pintler Wheels in Black
Toyo Open Country AT II P285/70R17
AEV Procal

Drifter

As delivered in June 2013 at Engineer Pass, CO

JBCB2634-1024.jpg

After lifting and suspension upgrades

JB7D0882-1024.jpg

JB7D0860-1024.jpg

Last edited:

Drifter

I am now quite happy with the ride and handling of the JK. The suspension eats up washboard roads and bumps with a nice stable ride. I was tearing the stock skids up due to limited clearance before the lift, but the 2.5" AEV lift is what I needed to make the Jeep much more usable for me. The Fox Internal Bypass shocks pair with the AEV springs very well.

I am lucky to have a friend, who is quite experienced with building off road vehicles, do the install with me helping. There were a few areas where using equipment from different manufacturers required some fabrication.

Ausjeeper

Observer
Looking good. Your Rubicon is a twin to mine in age and colour. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
Great looking JK. I do have one question, in your list of mods you list Front Swaybar Disconnects. Why would you need that if you have a Rubicon?

Drifter

Great looking JK. I do have one question, in your list of mods you list Front Swaybar Disconnects. Why would you need that if you have a Rubicon?

Good question. I do not use them to disconnect, just as adjustable links. The AEV kits come with some metal sway bar link riser plates that bolt to the front axle and then reuse the stock short sway bar links. A poor solution IMHO. I use the JKS links because the can be precisely adjusted. It is also handy to be able to disconnect the swaybar with them when working on the front suspension. On the trail I use the Rubicon disconnect.

Last edited:

Drifter

A few recent photos from the last couple of weeks from Arizona and also Memorial Day weekend in the San Juan's in southwest Colorado.

JBBA6556-1500.jpg

JB7D1134-1500.jpg

JB7D1157-1500.jpg

JB7D1164-1500.jpg

JB7D1232-1500.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Nice setup. 2 questions. one, did you drive with the bilstiens included with the kit and why did you use front shock relocation? for resivoir clearance?

Drifter

Nice setup. 2 questions. one, did you drive with the bilstiens included with the kit and why did you use front shock relocation? for resivoir clearance?

I did not use the Bilsteins from AEV, as I have not liked Billy 5100's on other vehicles (Toyotas). The front lower shock relocation is for clearance with 2.5" shocks at full flex.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
cool. that's why I asked if you tried them or not. I do not like them either, however supposedly AEV gets theirs custom valved. My setup is a teraflex leveling kit, Monroe reflex shocks and stock 18/59 springs. I think it rides great like that. stance is perfect with my 285s BFG ats. I was going to go with warn bumpers but keeping the weight off my jeep is a priority for me, so im stay with what I have, and adding a well setup airbag in the back to take some extra weight of gear.

RubiChris

Observer
How do you like your Toyos? How are they in sand, rock, etc? I live in NM as well and am looking at something a little more road friendly but will still perform well off road. I'm especially interested in how they do in sand as I it a lot of sand in my "adventures".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design