Driving a vehicle you dont like.

406to417

Explorer
After moving a year ago it was decided we needed a second vehicle. The girlfriend drives my 2010 Jeep Wrangler and we were lucky enough to find someone who would let us make payments on 88 Suzuki Samauri. Now, thats its paid off I really dont want to go threw another winter with it. We cant really afford more payments but the Suzuki needs new tires, u joints and top. Should we try and sale it and find something like a Jeep cherokee or put more money into it?

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Cherokee. I'm not sure how the mountains or hills are in billings, but I've driven a Samurai on flat pavement where a bird's fart was enough of a headwind to force me to drop 2 gears just to keep speed. In all seriousness I like the Samurai's but in terms of daily drivability I compare it to wearing a loincloth to a business meeting. If gas mileage was your major concern in buying the Samurai, perhaps consider a Tracker or Sidekick. Although the motor in those are no technological marvels, they are widely accepted as reliable and provide decent power relative to the vehicle and good gas mileage. Other considerations may be a Forester since you already have a Wrangler for more serious trails. There is a very good aftermarket for these vehicles and both front and rear limited slips can be fitted to add to their already capable AWD system, Just look at the Forester build that Chazz Layne is doing in this sub-forum. I'm not ruling out a Cherokee either as a previous owner of one I love them to death and am amazed at their out of the box capabilities. I f looking for a Cherokee, my personal preference would lean towards a Selec-Trac model with the NP242 and 2WD, Full time AWD, 4LO, and 4Hi. I feel this offers the best of all worlds and has proven itself to be a fairly sturdy transfer case with a respectable 2.72 low range. Either way if it was my call, I would run away from the Samurai unless your plans were to build a trail rig. Pretty sure a Gator 4Wd has more creature comforts than those things nowadays.

libarata

Expedition Leader
It really comes down to what you plan on doing with this second vehicle, and your budget. Would the work needed on the current vehicle be enough to purchase a new to you vehicle, or less? If less, that I would recommend keeping it, and starting a small fund for a new vehicle. If more, then look for a new to you that would not require much work right off of the bat.

I am partial to Subarus :D So if you can find one in good shape, nab it!

libarata

Expedition Leader
As an after thought, do you have a place nearby that sells used tires? Craigslist is usually a decent place to find tires floating around. U-joints, Ebay? Top, I am clueless.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
In the meantime, put an ad in the local Craigslist to trade for equal value and see what comes up.

Last edited:

406to417

Explorer
Basically all i need is a four wheel drive that i can get to work in. It was no fun driving the Suzuki with a bad top when the weather got to -50 a few times last winter. If we put the money into then i know we will never get that money back out.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Basically all i need is a four wheel drive that i can get to work in. It was no fun driving the Suzuki with a bad top when the weather got to -50 a few times last winter. If we put the money into then i know we will never get that money back out.

Just another log for this fire, but timing will be important here - I've found it is ALWAYS easier to sell any soft top/convertible when the weather is good and warm. If you wait until late fall to sell a soft-top, you're going to lose your ********. Make your decision soon, so you can sell during the "prime" season.

406to417

Explorer
Even if it was all fixed I still wouldnt care for it. Im not a Suzuki guy. Drove Jeeps all my life and its just what i prefer.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Don't Samurai's have a pretty strong cult following? If it's in even halfway decent shape you should be able to sell it easy. Go onto some enthusiast boards and see what other people are selling similar vehicles for.

I agree with not putting money into it if you're not feeling the love. As far as a 4x4 to get to work with I'd recommend a Subaru unless you need the clearance and/or low range. Lots of them around.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Unless it's the means to an end, then life is to short to drive a vehicle you don't like.

Agreed.

There are so many things in life that we have no control over, and that just irritate us to no end. Why anyone would ever drive a car that doesn't excite them one way or another is beyond me.

Cole

Expedition Leader
In the meantime, put an ad in the local Craigslist to trade for equal value and see what comes up.

This!

You would be amazed at what people have laying around and what they may want.

Sometimes all it takes is asking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1