DrMoab's long overdue M416 thread.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I don't think you'd ever have to worry. They put that load limit on then considering it's on a moving vehicle with all the stresses that go along with that. On mine the only thing that's there is the tent while moving down the road. The only time I'd come close to taxing the weight limit is sitting parked. My wife and I are both bigger people. I'd bet between the tent and us we are regularly over that limit by 200lbs. In four years it's never been an issue.

They probably also figure that limit with them extended up all the way which I don't think I'd ever do while moving.

Yeah, I was thinking more while sleeping if you guys have had any doubts.
Moving I see no issues, I would just hate to wake up unplanned as we come crashing down into my trailer due to weight loads. I'm only about 160 and my girl is less, so I'm weighing the options of custom rack with struts to raise and lower the tent vs a static rack or this Thule idea.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
oh i glazed over the strut assembly you said you installed, and I got to reading and I think the 450lb is dynamic rating vs a static (non moving) rating.

Can you review (photos) your strut setup, as I am thinking this is the route i am taking in the next few days with my build.

DrMoab

Explorer
I'm dragging it to work tomorrow to fill my propane tanks and gas tanks. I'll snap some cell phone pics then.

slimtwo

Adventurer
Nice Trailer! What are these jacks that you have to lift your tent? Do you have the manufacture information?

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Ever get some photos of your strut setup?
( I totally forgot I had asked)

and a local Thule Xsporter rack just popped up on my Craigslist radar

DrMoab

Explorer
My trailer is stuck in the back of my garage. I'm digging it out for a moab trip coming up in a couple weeks. I'll snap some photos then.

campfj

Hi I am doing something very similar to the Thule setup on my trailer. I know you have already been asked a few times but if you have a chance It would be very helpful if you could post some pictures of the gas strut set up on the Thule. Thanks in advance.

FJC Scout

Observer
Here is my trailer with the Thule XSporter racks as well. I am interested in how easy it for you to raise and lower as well. I have a terribly difficult time with it as binding occurs when the sides are not lifted equally.
DB03672C-D937-4251-90A7-DBAC5FA341DD.jpg

I have resigned myself to just keeping it up for travel as well, and lowering for winter storage only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Hate to revive this old thread, but i'm also interested in using struts to lift the Thule Rack, any chance of pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design