E350 4R100 vs. 5R110 Transmission

I am wondering exactly how much better would the newer 5R110 series transmission be for the E series van that would see a lot of off roading?

All of my search results yielded to F series builds for sled pulling and racing, and from that crowd it sounds like the 4R100 would be sufficient, and a full rebuild to make it bulletproof can be had under $4k if it did blow up. But I don't know if the transmissions were the same for the F and E series chassis.

I have a few E350 V10 vans near me that are older then 2005, but wondering if it is worth the wait to find a '05 and up V10 with the 5R110.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Most trans techs would tell you that they are about the same in terms of durability, reliability. You just get a 5th gear in the 5R110.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've yet to see a 5R110 fail. They shift better, are (much) easier to make 4wd and don't run hot like the 4R100s love to do.

But...... they're much harder to find!

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
I've yet to see a 5R110 fail. They shift better, are (much) easier to make 4wd and don't run hot like the 4R100s love to do.

But...... they're much harder to find!
Hmmm, so basically just all-around better. Could you swap a 5R110 into an older 5.4 or 7.3? 1999, for example?

iggi

Ian
Actually you get a 5th and 6th gear. (kinda) ;)

Most trans techs would tell you that they are about the same in terms of durability, reliability. You just get a 5th gear in the 5R110.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hmmm, so basically just all-around better. Could you swap a 5R110 into an older 5.4 or 7.3? 1999, for example?

Behind a 7.3 would be great. I have seen someone do it with a 5.4 since they did come with that transmission in the cutaway chassis. Have to swap the harness, PCM, etc too.

**edit ---- I planned to do this to my 5.4 spec van but had a hard time sourcing a transmission/harness that hadn't already been cut up by a wrecking yard. And I ran out of time, still something I'd like to do.

Last edited:
I am wondering exactly how much better would the newer 5R110 series transmission be for the E series van that would see a lot of off roading?

All of my search results yielded to F series builds for sled pulling and racing, and from that crowd it sounds like the 4R100 would be sufficient, and a full rebuild to make it bulletproof can be had under $4k if it did blow up. But I don't know if the transmissions were the same for the F and E series chassis.

I have a few E350 V10 vans near me that are older then 2005, but wondering if it is worth the wait to find a '05 and up V10 with the 5R110.

Hey guys, I'm new here but had to chime in on this one since I've had both an 02, 08, and now a 15 F250. From my experience, I had the most trouble out of the 4r100 out of my 02 F250 with the 7.3, even after rebuilding it. I had so much trouble out of it I eventually said screw it and ordered a cheap remanned 5R110 from these guys, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=5R110W (all stock), and got the PCM/ wiring adapters, brackets, etc to do the swap. Never had an issue from then on out till the day I sold it for the 08 F250 which came stock with a 5r110. I owned the 08 for years, took it up to 190k miles, added a 5in turbo-back exhaust, intake, KEM 345 tune, and still didn't have issues out of the transmission. The moral of the story, go with a 5r110 if you can find one in your price range.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Who/Where did you get the extras from? ( PCM/ wiring adapters, brackets, etc ...)

Hey guys, I'm new here but had to chime in on this one since I've had both an 02, 08, and now a 15 F250. From my experience, I had the most trouble out of the 4r100 out of my 02 F250 with the 7.3, even after rebuilding it. I had so much trouble out of it I eventually said screw it and ordered a cheap remanned 5R110 from these guys, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=5R110W (all stock), and got the PCM/ wiring adapters, brackets, etc to do the swap. Never had an issue from then on out till the day I sold it for the 08 F250 which came stock with a 5r110. I owned the 08 for years, took it up to 190k miles, added a 5in turbo-back exhaust, intake, KEM 345 tune, and still didn't have issues out of the transmission. The moral of the story, go with a 5r110 if you can find one in your price range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad