Early 80's pickups

wesel123

Explorer
Hey all I need to tap into everyones wealth of knowledge and
ask what years Toyota pickups DO NOT have computers?
I want to get an 80 thru 84 but want it as basic as possible.

I'm assuming that with a carb and a distributer cap I'll
be ok?

Please educate me. And pardon my ingnorance! :)

4xdog

Explorer
At his excellent reference site http://www.toyotareference.com/, Darren has copies of virtually all the original Toyota US brochures for viewing. You'll be able to check original details to your heart's content.

I know the 22R on the 1980 pickup our family owned for 29 years was as simple as can be. Nice to have no points, but other than that, it was almost all mechanical.

Don

slus

Adventurer
I think at least the CA model trucks had an emissions control computer during those years, I know my 84 does and I've seen them in 1st gens in the yard.

If you can get around CA smog laws ( I see you're in LB, good luck) you can REALLY simplify these carb'd power plants. The carb only needs 2 powered wires that I know of, one to the choke, and one to the fuel cut solenoid. Then power to your starter and ignition. You can run a GM 1 wire alternator and ditch the factory voltage regulator mess, and cut out nearly all of the vacuum line rats nest if you so desire.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225673

wesel123

Explorer
A smog computer? Wow I thought it would only
be a smog pump. I'm really looking for
a system that has zero micro circitry.
Ala a system as simple a be but in a Toyota.
So my thought is that older Toyotas run an
ignition coil and a carburator. No computer to run
FI and such.

Does that make sense. It feels like I'm
babbeling.

slus

Adventurer
A smog computer? Wow I thought it would only
be a smog pump. I'm really looking for
a system that has zero micro circitry.
Ala a system as simple a be but in a Toyota.
So my thought is that older Toyotas run an
ignition coil and a carburator. No computer to run
FI and such.

Does that make sense. It feels like I'm
babbeling.

The ECM controls a few sensors and solenoids. When my fuel cut solenoid failed (computer problem) I bypassed the computer and wired it directly to switched power. Drove it around for a few miles, then realized I never hooked up the rest of the computer again...and it was running fine. It's nothing to be scared of.

red87

Adventurer
Just looking for a carbed truck with a distributer won't find you one without a computer, FYI. My 87 has a carb and a computer, I assume its the emissions computer previously mentioned.

SeattleMike

Observer
I have an 1985 pick-up with a 22R engine, carburetor, and distributor. It was a base model with no options, and only has 232k miles on it. I can't find a computer on it anywhere.

However, I don't think they offered 4x4's with that power plant, as mine is a 4-speed manual with RWD.

red87

Adventurer
I have an 1985 pick-up with a 22R engine, carburetor, and distributor. It was a base model with no options, and only has 232k miles on it. I can't find a computer on it anywhere.

However, I don't think they offered 4x4's with that power plant, as mine is a 4-speed manual with RWD.

Check in the passenger-side footwell against the right side. Mine's there hidden behind a little kick panel. I don't know if 85s are the same though.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My '84 is a 49 state truck. No engine management computer of any sort. I have seen carb'd engines as late as an '88, but they are a rarity.

Converting to a one wire Delco alternator doesn't remove any electronics from the truck and it does add complexity in the way of replacement parts. If you're going to go to a Delco alternator, use an off the shelf application. The 104 amp alternator that I used on my Mini happens to be the same one used on the TPI engine going into the FJ60 and the one on my still for sale Suburban.

The EFI on these engines isn't all that sophisticated, and they already have an ignitor for their electronic ignition systems. I can appreciate not wanting electronic complexity, but I plan to convert my truck to EFI if I do not just transplant the 4WD bits under my 2WD turbo truck.

wesel123

Explorer
The EFI on these engines isn't all that sophisticated, and they already have an ignitor for their electronic ignition systems. I can appreciate not wanting electronic complexity, but I plan to convert my truck to EFI if I do not just transplant the 4WD bits under my 2WD turbo truck.

In all honsety with out sounding like a paranoid freko, I want a rig I can drive lets say, after an EMP goes off (Sorry been reading One Second After). But mainly just want to get a back to basics rig that I can work on.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Not to get away from the Toyota content, but my Datsun had a computer until I swapped to a Weber carb. Won't pass a careful visual smog check anymore, but it is certainly computer-less now.

slus

Adventurer
My '84 is a 49 state truck. No engine management computer of any sort. I have seen carb'd engines as late as an '88, but they are a rarity.

Converting to a one wire Delco alternator doesn't remove any electronics from the truck and it does add complexity in the way of replacement parts. If you're going to go to a Delco alternator, use an off the shelf application. The 104 amp alternator that I used on my Mini happens to be the same one used on the TPI engine going into the FJ60 and the one on my still for sale Suburban.

I figured it might be a CA thing.

My comment on the GM alternator has to do with the internally regulated 1 or 3 wire setups. I'd like to ditch the complexity of the external voltage regulator on my truck, as I've heard of it going bad and know it will be hard and expensive, if not impossible, to find a replacement on the road, whereas you can pick up a GM alternator off the shelf at any napa/kragen/autozone you happen to be close to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk