Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Here is the Montero pulse gear.

and here is the new installed Jeeps pulse gear. As you can see its wider than monteros. The input shaft had another grove closer to the splines to accommodate the Jeep gear and lock ring.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Full size Monteros use a Aisin 30-43LE (a.k.a. A340F and AW4) automatic transmissions, similar units are found in Cherokees. To mount a six bolt case to Monteros transmission Ill be using a tail shaft housing from 1998+ Cherokee 4.0L automatic . After some time I finally sourced a 1999 JK at a local PicknPull.

How do you know this stuff?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
When i built mine it ended up being something like 1/2" longer than a non superselect T-case (Gen 1 T-case), so it'll be way shorter overall than the Stock Gen 2 Case. Also now that you'll have extra low range you'll need a second mount to the T-cases, Easy stuff.
This is the NP231/D20 i built with Duffy's B4R Kit and a D20 adapter, depending on the D300 you use it may end up shorter than this

DSCF0165.jpg

The D300 is a much bigger case, LT had to cut a pretty big hole in his floor on his Gen 1 with 3" bodylift to clear the D300. I'm installing the 231/D20 in a Montero Friday too, I'll try to get pics of that up for you to get a clocking baseline so you don't have to bench press your setup a hundred times.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Now THAT would be awesome!

LS would be nice. But that would be overkill on the budget. My stock 6G74 is pretty much rebuilt. Im going for OEM + :ylsmoke:

As far as knowing this stuff. I dont lol! It takes research upon research. Ill take a screen shot of my bookmarks just for this project so you can get the idea.

When i built mine it ended up being something like 1/2" longer than a non superselect T-case (Gen 1 T-case), so it'll be way shorter overall than the Stock Gen 2 Case. Also now that you'll have extra low range you'll need a second mount to the T-cases, Easy stuff.
This is the NP231/D20 i built with Duffy's B4R Kit and a D20 adapter, depending on the D300 you use it may end up shorter than this

DSCF0165.jpg

The D300 is a much bigger case, LT had to cut a pretty big hole in his floor on his Gen 1 with 3" bodylift to clear the D300. I'm installing the 231/D20 in a Montero Friday too, I'll try to get pics of that up for you to get a clocking baseline so you don't have to bench press your setup a hundred times.

thats awesome man. Being so large is why Im hesitant on using it. I need to study up on my other options.

Toasty

Nwoods, he knows because it's all posted in the tech section on 4x4wire.com :sombrero: and he has my number in case he needs info on the fly (24hour support line).

Eurosonic, nice! Leafs are easy, look for the Wagoneer 7 leaf pack those ride and flex the best. If you need any info on that set up in a Montero feel free to call or text, finishing up one this weekend too so it'll be fresh in my mind.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Nwoods, he knows because it's all posted in the tech section on 4x4wire.com :sombrero: and he has my number in case he needs info on the fly (24hour support line).

Eurosonic, nice! Leafs are easy, look for the Wagoneer 7 leaf pack those ride and flex the best. If you need any info on that set up in a Montero feel free to call or text, finishing up one this weekend too so it'll be fresh in my mind.

thanks, you're a lot of help man.

Toasty

It sucks we don't live closer, that way when you get to the "dude you left this part out" thing i could just pop over and BAM! crisis averted. Because that might happen :wings:

Don't worry though, I'm making a thread for info and as i remember things i'm adding that stuff too. You should add your findings as you go so and link this part of your build thread for a collective resource the community can use.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
On to the speed sensors. The looks preety much identical. Two pins with two wires.

Montero on top (black), jeeps on the bottom (blue)

Montero left, Jeeps right.

They measure the same length. Here is Montero.

..and Jeeps

For the sake of ease Ill just use the original Montero sensor and hopefully it works. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1